Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
hmhs
Mouseketeer

Putting ID on Small Children while at WDW???

I'm wondering if I should put some type of Identification on my 3 yr old while we are at WDW next month...just in case, God forbid, he gets seperated from us. Maybe something like a card in his pocket with our hotel and cell #'s on it? Has anyone else done this- what works well? Any advice would be appreciated!!
hmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
ogreenlee
i surely didn't want to have to use the gorillapod
I'd tell my husband to bite it, but that's just me

I put a card with my name, my husband's name and our cell #s in my dd's pocket. I told her that if we got lost that she needed to find someone and give them that card.

Me being paranoid, like I am, I actually put one in each pocket.

Some folks pin it to their kids, but that doesn't seem very comfortable.
ogreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Minniemouse07
DIS Veteran

I've looked into this (have a ds-2yo and dd-6yo) and have found a few different suggestions:

http://www.whosshoesid.com/ - a tag that attaches to the child's shoelace

I ended up getting these bracelets (the laser version)...

http://www.shanrene.com/custom-wristbands.php

I got two for each child and put "If lost call my mommy at ###-###-#### (cell)" and "If lost call my daddy at ###-###-#### (cell)"

They came VERY quickly and I'm putting them away for the trip.

I opted for the bracelets over the shoe tag so that way the kids can wear their sandals or crocs in the parks and still have contact info on them.

...WDW/DCL sea/land! August 2011

Minniemouse07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
Manda
DIS Veteran

I used the shoe ID tag in the link posted above for our last two trips. The only problem was that there was nowhere to put it when he wanted to wear his Crocs. Fortunately, he had pants with belt loop on and I just looped the tag on those.

For this year's trip (and the future), I'm ordering him a Road ID bracelet. They are intended for runners, which is why I have one. Once I got mine, I realized that it would make a great band for my son. He's really excited about getting his own.

I don't know if I can post links, but the address is http://www.roadid.com/ - they are really well made and comfortable.
~ Polynesian 9/07 - Free dining again! ~
~ Wilderness Lodge 1/08 - Just because we bought APs... ~
~ All Star Sports 2/08 - An unplanned stay thanks to a snowstorm that kept us in Orlando ~
~ Beach Club 8/08 - DS's surprise 5th birthday trip! ~
~ All Star Music 6/09 - Because I can't pass up a discount... ~
~ Bay Lake Tower 10/09 - Bounceback & MY birthday trip! ~
~ Port Orleans French Quarter 06/10 - Star Wars Weekends ~
~ Beach Club 08/10 - DS's 7th birthday trip ~
~ Pop Century 6/11 - Just 'cause I wanna. ~
~ Port Orleans French Quarter 02/13 - It's been a while... ~
Manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
mommy2paris
DIS Veteran

Do you think these arm bands are small enough for a 2 1/2 yr old? Thanks!
mommy2paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Minniemouse07
DIS Veteran

That roadid looks cool...but our FOUR bracelets including shipping cost less than $12.

I think that the plastic bracelets will work fine for a 2.5yr, especially since I got one for my ds who will turn 2yo while we are at WDW in December!

...WDW/DCL sea/land! August 2011

Minniemouse07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
dijid
American Expat in France for a while

I have the bracelets from Shanrene and really like them. They are youth sized, which is slightly larger than would fit a 2.5yo's wrist, but will fit well as an anklet.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
SharkyGoddess
Happier than a Shark at a Sushi Bar

At a local theme park here they use those bracelets, the papery kind like what you probably get for special events at Disney, and those have the parents names and cell numbers. We saw tons of kids with them on and thought it was a good idea.
First trip 1987 ~Disney & Bush Gardens with best friend and Dad Second trip 1991 ~ US with friendsThird trip July 2002 ~ Disney & US/IOA with my kiddos Fourth trip July 2004 ~US/IOA A very pregnant me and my two kiddos Fifth trip October 2007 ~Disney for MNSSHP ASM with my kiddos and Sweet Babboo Sixth trip October 2010 ~US/IOA for HHN & WWoHP with Babboo & KiddosSeventh Trip October 2013~ US/IOA with the fam & HHN with my Sweet Babboo, Mac, Marquibiri, Pax & Dora
"Just behind the reef are the big white teeth of the sharks that can swim on the land."
SharkyGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
jkcd513
Mouseketeer

Photo Id Tags

When we went in May 06 our son had just turned two. I was worried he would get seperated from us so I made my own tags and alot of people commented on what a neat idea it was. I bought the little clear pouches used for ID badges at meetings/conventions and I printed on one side of paper one family photo, one of him and his daddy, and one of him and his mommy (in photoshop I combined the three images on one page in the dimmensions needed to fit in the badge holder). Along with the three photos wrote "If Lost see back of card". On another paper which was not visible to strangers I put our cell phone numbers, our names, our hotel, and also two contact numbers back home for grandparents (just in case). I also put on that he should not be given ice cream or milk products since he was allergic to milk (since I had read on the disboards that one person who had found a lost child had bought them an ice cream to help calm them down until their parents were found). I placed both "cards into the badge holder and then everyday I would tell my son I needed to check his tag in his shirt and I would pin it to the back of his shirt (so he couldn't take it off). Just thought I would share my idea that worked well for us.

I can send photos if you need them to show what I am talking about.

-Jennifer
jkcd513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
LadyShea
DIS Veteran

Great idea Jennifer, similar to what I had in mind but with more details than I had come up with yet!
LadyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
pixidust1976
So Thankful

I worry about putting my room info on my children where other's could easily see it, because then they know what room is empty to go and try to break into.

I also worry about putting last names on it so that someone wouldn't say, "Hey Miss Jones, come with me, you've won a prize" and walk away with my kid.

I guess I am just a worry wart!!!

I suppose the cell phone number would be enough. Anyone have any other suggestions of information to make sure the tags have?

Lifelong Disney fan (from inside the womb) passing the Disney magic on to my young!!!!
pixidust1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
LadyShea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixidust1976 View Post
I also worry about putting last names on it so that someone wouldn't say, "Hey Miss Jones, come with me, you've won a prize" and walk away with my kid.

I guess I am just a worry wart!!!

I suppose the cell phone number would be enough. Anyone have any other suggestions of information to make sure the tags have?
I am a worrier as well.

I planned to only have our son's first name, our first names, and our toll free number on the tag. That way nobody can get any information on how to actually locate us.

Something like "My name is C, I am traveling with My Mom, B and my Dad, F. If I am lost please call 888-***-****"
LadyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
MiniGirl
DIS Veteran

My girls, especially my youngest, threw fits when we tried to put those paper bracelets on her, so those were out. We ended up just using masking tape and a Sharpie. Everyday we'd write our cell # on a strip of tape and tape it to the inside hem of our girls' shirts. They knew if they got lost they were to look for a CM (preferably female). If they didn't see one, they were to look for a woman with small children. Then all they had to do was turn up just the hem of the shirt to reveal our cell #.

The daily picture taking ritual is also a great idea.

I also started asking my girls on short shopping trips before our WDW trip to point out who they would ask for help if they couldn't find me. Rolling their eyes and saying an employee was not acceptable. They had to point to an actual person. Then I could tell them what a great choice they made or point out who may be a better choice.

We also have code words with our girls. We tell them they are not to go with anyone (stranger or not) no matter what the person tells them unless that person knows the code word. All too often we hear of people dressed like employees luring kids to some out-of-the-way spot by telling them their mom wanted to see them or someone being abducted by a family "friend." We have told them this is just so that we can be sure of where they are and who they are with at all times because that is our jib as their mom and dad.

Have a great time. Considering all the kids that are at WDW each day, very few of them get separated from their folks. Of those that do, the vast majority are reunited within minutes.

eBay ID: Beachside*Designs -- Etsy ID: BeachsideDesigns
MiniGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
mommy2paris
DIS Veteran

All great ideas. My dd 2 1/2 would also never a necklace or bracelet alone or leave it on for a long period of time. She will also be wearing crocs, so no laces for us most days. I may try to bands though and hope that she may forget she's wearing it on her ankle. I also like the idea of pinning a notecard on the back of the shirt...
Does anyone know if the cm's are trained to look for these types of things? Because all though dd communicates well, if she were upset, I don't know that she would relay to a stranger to check her bracelet / anklet...
mommy2paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
jkcd513
Mouseketeer

Thanks

It worked really well for us and we still use this when we go to amusement parks, fairs, etc. No one else can see his name or our info unless he gets lost and someone was trying to find us and looks on the other side of the photo card. I liked including photos of us so that other people would be able to help him locate us and know what his mommy and daddy look like.

I have a photo but not sure how to post it in case anyone was confused about what I am talking about- I can email it if you would like to see it. You can only see it in the photos we took if his back facing me so it didn't get in the way of most photos.

Jennifer
jkcd513 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: