Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

The surprise trip where dreams came true! Update Day 8! LOTS of pictures)

A word of warning in the beginning: This is my first attempt at a TR so bare with me. All my best friends say that I am long winded and ramble so I am sure that will rear it's ugly head soon. Also I should say there are no "official" Disney dreams that came true on our trip, but I think our dreams that came true are better. :

The Players:

Myself : Callie a 33 year old Mom of 2. Substitute teacher/ stay at home mom. Certified Disneyaholic. This would be my 3rd Disney trip.

Husband : James 37 year old Dad by choice to my 2 children from a previous marriage He has always been their Daddy and has been with them since they were 1 and 3. He works way to many hours as an oilfield supervisor to make sure they have everything they want. All around a great guy, but did not share my Disney obsession

DD: Shelby who is 13 will turn 14 on the trip. She is the typical teenager attitude and all. She loves Disney but for the most part when we are not there acts like it is just OK. Spends way to much time on the phone. The week before the trip got back from New Mexico from a mission trip with the church.

DS: Alex who is 11 will turn 12 a week before the trip. He was born 3 months early and is my miracle baby. He has moderate Cerebral Palsy and some other medical issues. He uses a Kwalker most of the time unless there is a lot of walking then he uses a wheelchair. He is an extremely determined kid and very independent. He is the ham of the family and is constantly laughing.

The dates: July 30th to August 6th

How the plan was hatched:
Last year when we went to NYC from Dallas we had to come back early. I could not get a flight home on the same carrier so we ended up with credits with Air Tran. In January DH and I realized that we still had not used them and they expired on 7/22 so we needed to book something with them by then. We talked about doing a birthday trip for the kids and then it evolved into being a really cool surprise if we could keep it from them. We had just got back from Disney in November and 3 out of 4 of us already wanted to go back. Even though our next trip was not scheduled until December of 08. I talked DH into it by saying I would pay for it and would keep it small. So we were in agreement and I booked our short 4 day trip to Pop ... little did I know the changes that it would incur.

Since I am not writing this the way I should have I am going to bring you all up to speed and to the week before the trip and DS's birthday.

DH did not think he would be able to go on this trip because of changes at work so he agreed that I needed to stay somewhere that was at least close to one of the parks with DS. He also thought we needed to take it slow and agreed to help me and we could change it to a 7/8 trip. DD's dream hotel is AKL so I called and changed us over to AKL standard view (rack rate ) for 7 nights 8 days. I called right after to book our airfare because the trip had already grown so much I didn't need it to grow anymore.

The talk then began about AKL construction and since DS would have to take afternoon breaks I started to worry a lot about the noise. At this point I decided to try as hard as I could to get us changed to either Poly (my DD's other first choice) or BC without breaking the bank. So I called several times a week to see if there were any codes added to my account or if we were eligible to be moved. During this time my husband decided to go ahead and take off work and go with us but agreed he wanted to stay in a deluxe hotel. I called and got his airline ticket the same flights as us.

I know the people at Disney probably got sick of me calling but my persistence paid off. We got a "code" but the only thing I could get was BC or BW. I chose BC because of SAB. We ended up at 200.00 less than what we were paying at AKL so I was THRILLED!

Most of the trip I planned under the guise of the Dec 08 trip. Thankfully they just thought I was obsessed with Disney as always. DD always kind of thought in the back of her mind something was going on but she did not know for sure. She ended up getting into some serious trouble and I explained to her that there was a surprise birthday trip that she was one mistake away from not getting to go on.

When I was not planning itineraries I made shirts and picked up pins for hints each night about the park we were going to the next day pins to trade and other Disney things for our trip. Pictures of all our matching shirts: http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...merons/shirts/ We ended up with 14 shirt sets.

The kids stayed fairly busy the first part of the summer between camp and friends houses. DD went on a mission trip to New Mexico to work with a Navajo tribe two weeks before our trip. It really was a great experience for her and think it made her understand how truly blessed she is. She came back home on Dis's 12Th birthday. He had a small slumber party for his 2 best friends and they had pizza and cake. Funny it was a very small birthday but he really enjoyed it. Which showed me a lot.

My best friend called to see how the plans were going for leaving. I told her we were coming up a day early to spend the night in Seagoville and my brother in law was going to drive us to the airport. She asked if we could come up a day earlier because a little girl she is the foster mom for was going to have her first ever bday party (she was turning 5). We both saw this as an opportunity for DH to be around children that needed to be adopted. I have been trying to ease him into the idea of adoption for the child we have been wanting. He agreed to going up early so the plan was we would be leaving Saturday morning for the party, spending the night at her house, then Sunday night at Seagoville, and on to the airport Monday for the reveal and to Disney for 8 days.

Last edited by ms_mckenna; 10-03-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
lookingforward
DIS Veteran

I am hooked! Can't wait for more. Your family is beautiful and I always love surprising my kids with disney trips..so I am Lookingforward to future posts!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Lan
D23 Charter Year Member

Cant wait to hear more
WDW - Pin & Vinylmation Events Sept 12-15
WDW - Food & Wine Oct 11-14
WDW - Dec 5-8

WDW Marathon Weekend Jan 7-12
WDW Princess Half Marathon Weekend Feb 19-23
DCL Magic - Southern Caribbean Cruise Sept 27- Oct 4
Blog: DizThruBrownEyes.com
Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

Well I am going to go ahead and update another day or two tonight since DH is stuck out on a job. We are skipping ahead to Saturday July 28Th. Most of what has happened between the last post and now is packing ... packing and more packing. The only other major thing to happen is my sis in law spilled the beans to my oldest about the trip. She kept it to herself and did not tell anyone but constantly asked when she would get to find out her hints! There were lots of other surprises though so at least she had something to be excited about. Plus she was not sure my sis in law was correct in what she thought because she is a bit ditz and we did not tell her that she was.

We left Saturday afternoon bags packed the kids thinking that we were going to the bday party and spending the night at my friends house. Then on to Seagoville the next day where we would pick up my brother in law Monday morning to entertain them while I had a Dr.'s appointment. My DD thought we were going on from there to our surprise trip. We made it into Plano about 5 Saturday evening and enjoyed the bday party. This is where our magic begins honestly. DH has never really considered adoption for us right now. He has always wanted to first have a biological child and then later on foster to adopt older children. My best friend is currently a foster mom to 3 children. The youngest is 1 will be 2 in Oct. and they have had him for close to a year now. There is a good chance they will end up adopting him because his home life is not working out unfortunately. She has had 2 little girls 8 and just turned 5 who she has had for a few months. She said when she first met them she automatically thought of us. They currently are up for adoption but have 2 brothers as well, and the state wants to place all 4 together. Not an easy task and the state has tried and failed to do this more than once already. It is a long story but the boys foster mom would like to adopt the boys and is not as interested in girls (she has never had girls only boys). DH told me that night after the party that he was interested in adoption ... now. We have decided to start the ball rolling and get certified to adopt. Whatever happens happens but the girls we think would be a very good fit for our family if the state decided to take what is available to place the children now. We will see what the state will certify us to do considering we already have 2 children. I have high hopes that it will all turn out for the best and we will be able to make a difference in at least one child's life. Maybe even 2 since we would prefer to take older children and small sibling groups both which are harder to place.

We spent the night sitting up talking about our December 08 trip that they are wanting to go with us on, and fostering to adopt. It definitely got us in the Disney mood.

We left her house Sunday afternoon and headed to Seagoville. Where we sat the kids down and had a long talk to get their opinions about adoption because it would effect their lives greatly as well. Both were very excited about the idea of having a little brother or sister or 2. We grabbed dinner to take back to the room and DH and I discussed it might be best to go ahead reveal that night instead of waiting until the next morning. DS can get overly excited about things and that might not be the best thing when trying to board a plane. We thought it was best that he got some time to get used to the idea. We told them that we had a big surprise for them when we got back to the room. DD told DS it was a trip and he got mad at her because he thought that was the surprise. We explained that she was right it was a trip but there was a lot more to it than that. When we got to the hotel I went to the bathroom and got the reveal stuff ready. Unfortunately my dial up will not let me upload the clip of the actual reveal so I will have to tell you about it for now. When I get access to some wifi I will upload it.

DS's bag of hints:
a box of hamburger helper (the white glove for Mickey's gloves)
just a couple of science experiments off of the Internet - to represent Stitch the science experiment
1 package of silly putty - to represent Goofy
1 set of song lyrics from any Aerosmith song to represent the Rock N Roller Coaster.

Then for DD -
a Magic Eraser - to represent Magic Kingdom
1 package of strawberry fruit bars- because Aurora was sent to pick berries while the fairies made their cake and kept switching the dress from blue to pink (DD is a huge Aurora fan)
a package of sour apple gum apples - they taste terrible and it's for Snow White DD does not like snow white
silly putty~ to represent Goofy

We gave them their bags and I must say I have never seen two more confused kids. DS took forever to catch onto the hamburger helper hint. DD who knew was even confused. She finally got it when she saw the Aerosmith lyrics of DS. She gets a HUGE grin said Alex that is AEROSMITH! Alex where do you know roller coaster plays Aerosmith? He replies RnRC in a confused voice. She screams we are going to WDW !!! Then gets so excited he just shakes and cannot talk when we confirm that yes we are going to WDW the next morning! He spent the night giggling and thanking us over and over again. We gave them the reveal bags that were filled with all kinds of Disney things I had gotten on clearance and printed off line. Including their pins I had bought for them to do pin trading and the autograph pages that I made for them. DS was to excited to go to sleep and in hind site we should have stuck with our original plan and not told them till the next morning because at the very least we would have gotten a good nights sleep.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

You have me hooked...what a great story so far. We were there the same time as you..July 29to Aug 3 at BWV...cannot wait to read more.
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 08-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Ok I am in. great start.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Sneezie
I don't like unfinished trip reports. If I wanted to read an unfinished trip report I'd read my own.
It's wonderful being in your 30's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_mckenna View Post
DD: Shelby who is 13 will turn 14 on the trip. She is the typical teenager attitude and all. She loves Disney but for the most part when we are not there acts like it is just OK. Spends way to much time on the phone. The week before the trip got back from New Mexico from a mission trip with the church.
My DD(14) is always excited about our trip to WDW until we get there. Once we're there she starts acting like a butt. This year, I've warned her, if she starts her ungrateful attitude she's going to stay in the room and I'm taking her KTTW Teenagers, can't live with them.... That's all!

I can't wait to hear the rest of your story!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
katielou
Earning My Ears

Great trip report so far We just upgraded our Thanksgiving trip to BC. I will love seeing your pics!!!

Beth

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezie View Post
My DD(14) is always excited about our trip to WDW until we get there. Once we're there she starts acting like a butt. This year, I've warned her, if she starts her ungrateful attitude she's going to stay in the room and I'm taking her KTTW Teenagers, can't live with them.... That's all!

I can't wait to hear the rest of your story!
lol I like that plan. Shel had 2 times where she got in that pain in the butt realm but quickly we snatched her back thankfully. DH and I were talking about what to do with her next trip if she really gets out there and not punish one of us at the same time. We had talked about sending her back to the room as well because she will be 15 almost 16 by next trip but honestly she would like to have a 2 bedroom DVC unit to herself so I can hardly call that punishment for bad behavior lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielou View Post
Great trip report so far We just upgraded our Thanksgiving trip to BC. I will love seeing your pics!!!

Beth
Will this be your first BC trip? Be sure and look for Art. He has to be the nicest guy ever.

I will add more to the TR probably Monday. We are going looking for houses tomorrow. Hopefully will find something big enough for us all.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
SwansLoveDisney
DIS Veteran

Your trip report is great! You have a beautiful family!

It sounds like your trip was excellent so far...
Old 08-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
HomeschoolMama
I raise kids... What's your super power?

Subbing and going back to read. You had me at lots of pictures...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: