Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
ICan'tWait
Mouseketeer

Florida Carseat Laws?

Is my 7 yo required to have a booster seat in Florida? I'm thinking of just letting my 4 yo use his brother's booster seat while were there and then I only need to haul a booster seat instead of a booster and a carseat. I looked up the law on line and it sounds like even the booster seat isn't required in Florida for a 4 yo? I know it's a safety issue as well as a baggage issue so please no flames.
ICan'tWait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
cslittle999
DIS Veteran

He is a link to the Florida law. http://www.dot.state.fl.us/Safety/Hi...ccupantFAQ.htm and the part you're interested in is:

4. What is Florida's Child Restraint Law?

All children 5 years of age or younger must be properly restrained no matter where they are sitting in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. (FL Statute 316.613).

I'm surprised since most states have moved to requiring booster seats for kids under 8 unless they meet a weight and/or height requirement.

The strange thing is that to points farther down is:

6. If the safety belt does not fit my child correctly should the shoulder belt be placed under the child's arm for a better fit?

Never put the shoulder belt under a child's arm or behind the back, as this increases the risk of severe injury in a crash. Use a booster seat to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts for children once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats at about 40 pounds and around 4 years old. Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and 4'9" should ride in a belt positioning booster seat.

So while they say that children should be in a booster seat they don't actually require it. Regardless of the law I think the question you have to ask yourself is will both of your children be safely secured in the car if you are in an accident? Do seat belts fit your DS7 without a booster seat? Does your 4 yo meet the booster seat's requirement? Only you can make these determinations.

CBR November 2003
WL December 2005
First Trip Home - BWV August 2007
MNSSHP - VWL October 2008
BWV/AKV Kidani August 2009
BWV November 2009 - 20th Wedding Anniversary
BWV/HHI August 2011
BWV August 2013, BCV October 2013
BWV August 2014
cslittle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Minniemouse07
DIS Veteran

The laws of physics supersede any state laws so unless your 7yo passes the 5 step test, I would bring booster seats for both kids.

...WDW/DCL sea/land! August 2011

Minniemouse07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: