Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
chalex
Mouseketeer

6 Flags Kentucky(have free kids tickets) or Holiday World

The kids participated in the St. Judes mathathon and received free tickets to any 6 Flags park plus an additional coupon for $8 off adult tickets.

Problem is I haven't seen any good reviews for the park.

We are going to be heading to KY on vacation and will be spending 6 days in Louisville and I would like to take them to one theme park. I have a DD 10 who likes roller coasters but will probably not ride too many as dad is not able to come on this part of the trip and I don't do roller coasters. DS 9, does not like wild rides. Both like water parks.

As this is a budget board, should I take the cheaper option and go to 6 flags or splash out for a visit to Holiday World. Which is the nicer park? We have a WDW trip planned in Sept. so trying to budget our summer vacation.

We are also planning to visit: Slugger museum, downtown waterfront, science museum, flea market on Saturday, boat trip on the river and Churchill Downs. I wanted to see Lion King but cannot believe the cost of tickets.

Does anyone know where kids eat free in Louisville?

Is 6 days too long?

Should I plan on visiting other parts of Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio?

DH is joining us after the 1st week and we will be camping in COE parks near Bowling Green and Lake Cumberland.

Planning on pricelining the hotel. Hoping for the Hyatt Place or the Hyatt downtown.

Thanks for helping!

Angie
chalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
madge
... is soaking in it

I'd try to see Mammoth Cave - if you're traveling from Louisville to Bowling Green, you'll definitely be in the area.

As far as Ky Kingdom/Holiday World - I'd go to Holiday World. I hear fantastic things about that park, and I'm looking to go there around July 4th. One thing to consider: You might have free tix to KK, but the food is spendy (and nasty). At Holiday World, the food is reasonable, drinks are free. There's also free sunscreen available at the park.

When going to the Science Museum, be aware of the construction on I-64.
http://restore64.ky.gov/

We got "reasonable" Lion King tickets - but I think they were sold out months ago.

Enjoy your stay!

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
jennwdw
Mouseketeer

holiday world

I would definately choose Holiday World. It's cleaner, nicer, and better geared toward children (more kid friendly rides). Plus I like the crowd better at Holiday World.

I should know where kids eat free in louisville but I don't. I seem to remember that WW Cousins had kids night but not sure which....

All your other plans sound great....You could also add the Frasier Historical Arms museum..It's really nice and my kids really enjoy it, particulary the sword figthing demonstrations.

I would also take the mammoth cave suggestion. It's so worth the trip!!!!!
jennwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

Holiday World is so much fun, free drinks and free sunscreen. We usually take the 2 hour trip each year..

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Harvest02
DIS Veteran

I agree- Holiday World! We live in Central Indiana and we are actually headed to Holiday world in a few weeks(middle of July). The kids can't wait! We were there several years ago, but I won some tickets at a silent auction for Holiday World and we are looking forward to visiting there again! The "drinks are free" is a true money saver!!! It is nice not to have to go buy a drink every time the kids say they are thirsty! Also, the tickets get you into both parks, and the other nice perk - FREE PARKING!!! They have some great wooden roller coasters too, and I am looking forward to trying out there newest one! Holiday World is so clean and very friendly staff! Awesome place to visit, even if it is in the middle of no where!!!

I'M HAVING DISNEY WORLD WITHDRAWAL AGAIN!!

April 1994 - Honeymoon at Walt Disney World
January 2002 - Off-Site
June 2006 - All Star Movies
October 22-28th 2007 - POR !!!!
Harvest02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest02 View Post
I agree- Holiday World! We live in Central Indiana and we are actually headed to Holiday world in a few weeks(middle of July). The kids can't wait! We were there several years ago, but I won some tickets at a silent auction for Holiday World and we are looking forward to visiting there again! The "drinks are free" is a true money saver!!! It is nice not to have to go buy a drink every time the kids say they are thirsty! Also, the tickets get you into both parks, and the other nice perk - FREE PARKING!!! They have some great wooden roller coasters too, and I am looking forward to trying out there newest one! Holiday World is so clean and very friendly staff! Awesome place to visit, even if it is in the middle of no where!!!
I don't want to hijack the thread - but, I do have a question about Holiday World and crowds. From what I understand, it's better to go during the week. What about July 4th or 5th? does anyone know if it's wall to wall people around the holiday?

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

I live in the area and have been to both. In fact, DW and kids had a pass there about 5 years ago. They didn't renew, which should tell you how we feel about Kentucky Kingdom.

IMHO Holiday World is a much nicer park and you'll have a better time there. Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom isn't awful, so you may decide that free at Six Flags is preferable to paying for a better time at Holiday World.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't go to Kentucky Kingdom if you paid me, even though it's the cheaper choice. For me, paying more for a better experience is a better budget choice than paying less (or nothing) for an experience I won't enjoy. But YMMV.

As for your other choices, they are great! I'd also work in a trip to the Frazier Historical Museum. Lots of cool exhibits and live performances. At least a 1/2 day excursion. Our family has a membership there.

http://www.frazierarmsmuseum.org/
Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
don8life
Please don't take your organs to heaven. Heaven knows we need them here.

We went to six flags kentucky last summer. i thought the people and the customers were rude. I was not impressed. They did have a pretty cool water park inside that did not require extra money.

I don't know about the other park you mentioned.

The sugger museum and the science center are awesome. If your children play ball be prepared money wise to buy them personalized bats. If not they give out free minnie ones with the tour.
don8life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

I just heard on the radio that a young girl had her feet severed while on a ride at Six Flags KK! I think they said it was the Superman (or maybe he said Spiderman) ride. It's been years since I've been there so I'm not familiar with it. Poor girl!
Pugrpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugrpooh View Post
I just heard on the radio that a young girl had her feet severed while on a ride at Six Flags KK! I think they said it was the Superman (or maybe he said Spiderman) ride. It's been years since I've been there so I'm not familiar with it. Poor girl!
I just read about it on MSNBC. How absolutely horrible. I've always hated that park. Apparently it happened on a "drop" ride that malfunctioned.

That poor girl. My heart goes out to her and her family.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
gracelrm
Wow - you learn something new everyday!
There's nothing better than taking the boat to MK

To the OP: I don't know when you are planning on going to Holiday World, but if it is still during the month of June - if you take in a pepsi product can - you can get some off the admission. We went in May and got $8.00 off per person and I think that during June it may be $4.00 off per person. You only need one can for up to 8 people (not one per person). Maybe that will help justify going there over Kentucky Kingdom. Have a great time!
gracelrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
cfknight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
I just read about it on MSNBC. How absolutely horrible. I've always hated that park. Apparently it happened on a "drop" ride that malfunctioned.

That poor girl. My heart goes out to her and her family.
I heard that at work tonite. I just keep thinking how many times my kids have gone on that ride. Gives me goose bumps.Wish that family the best.
2007 PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE 05/07'
2007 BEACH CLUB 12/07':
2008 ASMu/ POR ANNIVERSARY- SUPRISING DW! 05/08'
2008 POR/POFQ 10/08'
2009 POR/AKL 17 day trip! 11/09
2010 AKL F/W festival,xmas lights 11/10
cfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugrpooh View Post
Quote:
State is inspecting ride that severed girl’s feet
The Courier-Journal

State inspectors from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture’s Office of Consumer and Environmental Protection are at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom amusement park, trying to determine what caused the accident that amputated a 13-year-old girl’s feet above the ankles yesterday.

Carolyn McLean, a Six Flags spokeswoman, said state inspectors are working alongside the park’s own team of experts to try to figure out what happened. She said no specific information was available this morning.

No information on the girl’s condition or her name has been released. McLean said the park is respecting the family’s privacy and not releasing any details.
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...NE06/70622013/

Prayers for the poor little girl and her family.

I have personal knowledge of the 95 accident, which was quite severe, but assumed that things had improved there since then in terms of safety. I shudder to think that I let my kids go to SFKK just last month. They may not know it, but that was their last trip there.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...NE06/70622013/

Prayers for the poor little girl and her family.

I have personal knowledge of the 95 accident, which was quite severe, but assumed that things had improved there since then in terms of safety. I shudder to think that I let my kids go to SFKK just last month. They may not know it, but that was their last trip there.

What was the accident in '95? Was it when the people were stuck in the roller coaster (the Vampire I think it was?)?

I keep putting off taking DD5 to KK. I always feel grimy after a day there. I think we'll work in a trip to Holiday World this summer.
Pugrpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #15
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Looking at this article, it looks like I had the date confused--it was '94. From the article (which discusses the accident in the context of defamation law):

Quote:
On a July day in 1994, a roller coaster operator at Kentucky's largest amusement park was horrified to see that two cars filled with people were hurtling down the same stretch of track – something that should never happen. He hit the emergency brake. But it was too late. The second car slammed into the first, and a seven-year-old girl's liver was lacerated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: