Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Unback From DLP

Just got to DLP this evening for a first trip all alone and logged onto DIS to see a bunch of "We're Back From Our Trip" threads. So I decided to start an "unback" thread, which means I am here.

Headed over to Disney Village for a late dinner at Annette's. Not bad. Not great - especially at the price. Fun environment. Many of you said good things about it so I gave it a shot.

The Newport Bay hotel has a lot of problems. I arrived to check in, lugged my suitcase (now stuffed full of gifts after a week in Spain) plus computer all the way to the room only to find the room was not evacuated. No people were in the room but their open luggage was. Lugged my stuff back to the front desk and stood in the queue (again) and did something I rarely do and requested a new room with an upgrade. They gave me a new room but no upgrade. The rooms are really trashed here. I feel like I am in a worn down Fairfield Inn or Comfort Inn (while in the room and hallways). Peeling paint, chipped would, worn out carpet. Yuck. The lobby looks sharp and well maintained.

It was bit warm in the room so I turned on the AC and it rattled loudly for about 20 minutes (I did not think it would stop so I called the front desk in fear that it would continue all night). But it stopped after 20 minutes. The repairmen came 30-40 minutes later but the sound was gone so there was nothing to be done.

Tomorrow is GMFL breakfast and DL. Later.

ETA:

Day 1 Report - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=13
Day 2 Report - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=27
Day 3 Report - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=71
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread

Last edited by HydroGuy; 02-11-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
davewasbaloo
DIS Veteran

Hi Hydroguy, I hope you have a good time at DLP.

Annette's is good value, it's one of the cheapest table service restaurants at the resort. But great dining it is not. For world class, go to the California Grill. Or for good food, try Manhatten Grill, Walt's, the Silver Spur, or the Steakhouse.

As for the Newport Bay, that place is a joke. I've tried it 3 or 4 times, and every time has been a disappointment. Sadly people get caught up in the magic, but it is not a patch on the Hotel New York, and the Sequoia Lodge and Holiday Inn offer much better value. And compared to the DL and WDW hotels, it scrapes a moderate rating in my books.

Hopefully things will improve for you.

davewasbaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
MsFreud
Earning My Ears

Good info on NB. It is a place we were considering, since the Hub is from Cape Cod... I would love to hear about any dining in the NB hotel restaurants, if you should happen into one of them.

Given your description of the rooms though, I think I will stick to the Sequoia.

Hope your trip gets better!!
MsFreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
davewasbaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFreud View Post
Good info on NB. It is a place we were considering, since the Hub is from Cape Cod... I would love to hear about any dining in the NB hotel restaurants, if you should happen into one of them.

Given your description of the rooms though, I think I will stick to the Sequoia.

Hope your trip gets better!!
Hmmmm, dining at the NBC is mixed. The Yacht Club is a nice seafood restaurant with a great selection of shellfish and good steaks. It is the only place in Europe I have found Clam Chowder at too. It is considered pricey by many, but I remember having a wonderful meal of Clam Chowder, followed by steak and lobster surf and turf, topped off with Lemon Merange Pie accompanied by a bottle of champagne. It was a great meal, but I think it set us back about 200 euro for the 2 of us.

The other restaurant is a largely forgettable buffet experience.

davewasbaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 AM   #5
meeko cat
WE WON IT 5 TIMES !!!!!!

Hope the rest of your stay is good fun for you
2006 Feb Hard Rock Hotel,Port Orleans Riverside
2006 Aug Royal Pacific club, Boardwalk,AKL Concierge,Beach Club,Fort Wilderness, VILLA, Royal Pacific club,Polynesian

2007 July First trip to DLP Explorers
2008 FEB Davy Crocketts DLRP2008 Aug Hawthorn Suites LBV

meeko cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
So I decided to start an "unback" thread, which means I am here.
I like it!
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
lily73
Earning My Ears

We stayed in a family room on the Admiral's Floor in August 2002 and was very disappointed with the room. The paint was chipping, the wallpaper was peeling, it smelled of smoke and the bathroom was in need of a revamp. However, I thought that 5 years on the rooms would have been refurbished. How disappointing.

We are staying in the Sequoia Lodge this year. Hopefully it will be nice but my expectations are not so high this time.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
BRobson
Beavers is a dangerous place to be
I will just have to enjoy Food and Wine and skip the running

We stayed there over 4 years ago and we also had the same issue of a shabby room. I loved the hotel itself but I was disappointed with the room. Not worth the money we paid i am afraid.

Having said that many many people stay there and have no problems.

BRobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily73 View Post
We stayed in a family room on the Admiral's Floor in August 2002 and was very disappointed with the room. The paint was chipping, the wallpaper was peeling, it smelled of smoke and the bathroom was in need of a revamp. However, I thought that 5 years on the rooms would have been refurbished. How disappointing.

We are staying in the Sequoia Lodge this year. Hopefully it will be nice but my expectations are not so high this time.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

I think the Sequoia Lodge has just been refurbished as the room we had at Easter was looking very new, it even had a new bathroom suite. I like the HNY best but the Sequoia Lodge is good for the price.

Trey, I look forward to reading about the rest of you trip

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Great thread title Will read with interest the rest of your on-line trip report

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
marcus.ka
DLRP Hotel Fan!
Donít say Eurodisney. Itís Disneyland Resort Paris

We have stayed at the NPBC in November 2006 and the room was as good as new. And even the outside was just refurbished.

Maybe not all rooms have been done now? Maybe it would help to request another room?

We had an Admirals Floor room with lake view.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
A Small World

I always like to give a little royal wave whilst Im up there
Not even looking at it til I get some housework done

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
So I decided to start an "unback" thread, which means I am here.
Lucky you!!!! Not that we're jealous or anything.

Maybe we should start another thread called 'It seems ages since we were there'

Have fun and looking forward to reading about rest of trip

WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL
A Small World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Your first day in the parks sounded great. Nice to get a different perspective. In fact your report has encouraged me to try to look at DLP through the eyes of its many visitors

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
Kathryn28
Earning My Ears

We stayed in Newport Bay last July on the Admirals Floor, the room was lovely, bathroom tiles could have done with regrouting but that was all.

Going again in 9 days so hope i get good room like last year
Kathryn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
Bexx

Enjoys the UNIQUE Magic Kingdom
Crazed by the twiddly bits

After the disappointment of the hotel, I'm really glad you enjoyed the park so much. And thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts

Quote:
Well done, but the end part transitioned to something western which did not seem to follow the previous story.
A few people have commented on that before. Though versions vary, the general story is that the bride in Phantom Manor is the daughter of Mr Ravenswood, the owner of the Big Thunder Mountain goldmine. So the end of the ride represents a ghostly version of Thunder Mesa, which is the town of Frontierland.

Just thought you would like to know!!
~ WDW MK Day Trip Jan 83 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Nov 92 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 93 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 95 ~*~ WDW Offsite Dec 96 ~*~ WDW Dixie Landings Jan 99 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 99 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 02 ~*~ WDW Old Key West Feb 05 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 05 ~*~ DLP Day Trip Jan 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Cheyenne Dec 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Santa Fe Nov 07 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Portofino Bay Feb 08 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Jan 09 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge March 09 ~*~ DLP Disneyland Hotel Feb 10 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 12 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Aug 13 ~

Been there ... Done that ... Definitely going back!

Bexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: