Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

NO COMMANDO?? . . . .ARGHH! Can I do this?

NO COMMANDO??

Now I am NOT talking about underwear here. I am 61 years old, and that is not an issue. I AM talking about my type A personality, and my well researched, SEE EVERYTHING style of touring the World. Can I harness my inclinations enough to follow, rather than lead? Can I keep my mouth shut when people in my group want to shop, or eat, or visit the Hall of Presidents FIRST THING IN THE MORNING? Can I stop quoting the Unofficial Guide, or the Dis boards, or the Disney with Kids book? It’s gonna be a challenge, all right. Well, you say, why would I want to keep all that expertise to myself? I’ll explain shortly.

First let me introduce the players and then give you a little history.

First is Pittypat herself, mother of 3, Mimi to 8 (and another on the way). We’ll refer to her as Mimi in this epistle. Has read most of the guidebooks, has every known Disney site bookmarked on her computer, and visits most of them. Wears Mickey earrings, a Minnie watch, and has a Mickey house key, for Heaven’s sake. Maker of the PLAN.

Next, DH of 40 years, Pop – we could call him Pokey, cause he just loooves to saunter along. (Do I need to mention that I walk fast?) He wants to be spontaneous. He’s along to watch the kids, not for the rides.

DGS, 8 will be called Dreamer, because he does tend to go off in his own world sometimes. This makes him very low maintenance, but you never know if he is actually hearing you when you tell him something. Does not like to expend a lot of energy.

DGD, 5 could be called Curly. Remember the little girl who had the curl in the middle of her forehead? Yeah, that one. We’re just going to call her Wild Child, Pop’s rather apt nickname for her. Usually non-stop energy.

DD, call her Sweetpea, is my precious daughter and good friend, fantastic mother, and fellow Disney fanatic. Aids and approves the PLAN. The trip was her idea. Wild Child had a terrible episode last year with childhood migraine and lost three months out of her life curled up on the couch when she wasn’t throwing up. That was when SweetiePie decided that delayed gratification was over-rated and her family would get another trip to Disney this year. The migraines are now under control, thanks to a fantastic doctor and several meds a day.

DSIL will be YaYa, because this is what Dreamer called him when he was little and it stuck. He’s a great son in law, and likes to see my daughter happy. He thinks vacations are for relaxing. ????

I just wanted to jump in here and add an index. They merged my pre-trippie and TR, so a little navigational aid may be in order!

Beginning of Trip Report:

Day 1 – Arrival and MK, Part 1 Pg 5, # 63

Arrival and MK, Part 2 Pg 5, # 69
Day 2 – MGM-Disney Studios, Part 1 Pg 6, #80
DS, Part 2 Pg. 7, # 92
Extra Comments Pg 7, # 96
Day 3 – Epcot, Part 1 Pg. , #115
Epcot, Part 2 Pg. 8, #119
Day 4 – Magic Kingdom, Part 1 Pg. 9, #132
MK, Part 2 Pg. 9, #135
Day 5 – Animal Kingdom, Part 1 Page 11, # 151
AK, Part 2 Page 11, #159
Epcot again, page 12, #172
Our last day
A Bad Ending to a great trip
The Trip Home
Extra Pics and Final Thoughts, the good and the bad
The End

Now when I was growing up back in the dark ages, my family didn’t take vacations. I don’t think I even knew anyone in my small rural southern town who took vacations. When I grew up and got married, I didn’t even take a honeymoon – I got married one day, graduated from college the next day, traveled 300 miles to my new apartment and unloaded the uhaul the next day, and started my new job the next. Some years and three kids later, we took our first vacations, and went to the beach in the summer. Then my DH was sent to Brazil for two months to help build a plant, and I stayed home with the kids. After DH’s time was up, we had the choice of me joining him in Rio for a week, or getting the money to spend on a family vacation. Since my dad died during the time DH was gone, and I didn’t have anyone to keep the kids anyway, we took the money. So guess what we spent it on – our dream vacation – Disneyworld.

Next Time: The magic of Disney (very old photos coming up!)

First trip to DW June 1977, Dutch Inn with DH, DS8, DS6, DD4
July 1996, ASMovies; April 2002, ASMusic; June 2005, Coronado Springs;
May 5-12, 2007, Pop Century; May 30-June 6, 2010, Marriott Grande Vista;
First trip to DL Oct. 9-15, 2011 Anaheim Marriott

May 2007 Pre-trip and trip report: NO COMMANDO?? . . . .ARGHH! Can I do this?

Last edited by PittypatBR; 07-27-2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: adding links
Old 04-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
timandlesley
The tag fairy may not but the Tag Genie does!!!

Very good start, enjoying it so far. I don't think (o.k. I KNOW I wouldn't be able to do commando style Disney) everyone followed my lead last year and if you read my report when they questioned one thing I had a bit of a meltdown so good luck to you
Looking forward to pics, always enjoy the reports with pics.
Lesley

ALL NEW"Keep Moving Forward" TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2907120
DISNEY DREAM/AKL CONCIERGE JUNE 2011 TRIP REPORT "TimandLesley's If The Boat's A Rockin' Don't Come A...........TR with TONS of pics and video!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2752980
Nov. 2010 Adults Only TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2601328
"SUM OF OUR THRILLS" June 2010 TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2497427
ALL GIRLS TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2454788
Tim's Disapalooza guys only TR:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2362085
First Times TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=34183633&posted=1#post34183633
18 DAYS IN DISNEY!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2224335
Read my blog: www.livinglifeaslesley.blogspot.com
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
roxannensteve
DIS Veteran

Liking it so far - I'll be here waiting for more.

Dec '07 PTR/TRDec '08 TR
May '09 TR

November 2012 PTR
numerous other times, no PTR/TR

Been there, Done that, Going again
Old 04-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

The Magic of Disney

Our dream vacation was in 1977, and Disneyworld consisted of the Magic Kingdom and WDW Village. Epcot, et al, were still a twinkle in an imagineer’s eye. The only Disney lodgings were the Contemporary, the Polynesian, and the Wilderness campgrounds, I think. We couldn’t afford Deluxe, and didn’t want to camp, so we stayed in the Dutch Inn near WDW Village. I went back years later and tried to figure out which hotel had taken its place, but couldn’t remember its exact location. It was very nice, and had a swimming pool in the shape of a windmill. Very cool. For years I saved a couple of those soaps with windmills embossed on them. DS’s were 8 and 6, and DD turned 4 while we were there. Here is Mickey kissing her on her birthday.

We took one day to go to Cypress Gardens, but otherwise spent the whole time at the Magic Kingdom with some time at the Walt Disney World Village, the precursor of Downtown Disney, and the abandoned and mourned Discovery Island.

Here's the whole gang 30 years ago!

I miss Discovery Island, but it surely wouldn't be practical with the mobs of people that visit now.

The characters were always friendly.

Remember the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? It was one of our favorites.

It was a wonderful trip, and totally infected me with the Disney bug. Watch out – it’s contagious!

Next – we learn to PLAN! (And I try to master the art of larger pictures!)

Last edited by PittypatBR; 11-20-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

The next trip - we learn to PLAN!

In the intervening years, my DH got tied up in building a camp in the swamp, and was more interested in that than in going back to Disney. So DD and I decided to take a girls’ trip when she was 22. That’s when we perfected our touring style – commando all the way! We bought several books, particularly the Unofficial Guide, and we TOURED!! We got up early, took a brief afternoon break, and stayed late. We basically saw it all and rode it all. (DD, DS#1, and I are the ones who ride everything – love the coasters!) This trip embedded the infection deep in our souls, and we vowed to return

Here we are having a blast.

Eventually grandchildren intervened, and to celebrate our 35th anniversary, DH and I brought DD’s DS to the World for his third birthday. (DD had 6 mo old DD at home, and was happy to share with us.) A big success for all of us, and DGS’s favorite thing was Disney transportation! Even more than the parks, he loved him some monorail, boat, train, and bus!!

Next up: a few flies in the ointment

Old 04-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Pittypat: This is great! I love the old pictures. Be sure to tell your dd how lucky she is to have a mom who loves WDW. My parents took us in 1976 and my mom says she has no need to go back because she's already been. She doesn't understand that it's changed a bit since then.

Can't wait to read more!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
DISUNC
I cried like a baby watching the last 3 minutes of "The Way We Were"
3 bottles of Soda, A Xtra large Cheese doodles & a plunger! Someone is having a Party...Can I come?
AGGGGGGGH I am Ruined!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISUNC View Post
Okay, now I have arrived!! Disunc is on board!! Welcome!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Type A

I understand about the go-go-go mentality at WDW! I love your report and am so excited for you! To be at WDW soon!

Looking forward to watching the final planning and the actual trip report.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
I understand about the go-go-go mentality at WDW! I love your report and am so excited for you! To be at WDW soon!

Looking forward to watching the final planning and the actual trip report.
Glad to have you aboard!!

Old 04-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
daesept
Earning My Ears

Wow...

I will be at AKL the same time you are at POP. You are SOOOO much more prepared than I am!! I am in awe.

I LOVE the picture of you shoes!! I have all of my shoes picked out too. Dh busted me about to take a pic of them, and I didn't take it. Maybe I'll show him your post....hmmm.

ONE WEEK TO GOOO!!

(are YOU packed yet?)

AKL 5/5-12/2007 R
Read my pre-trip report "Omega Geek's Family experience's WDW for the first time!" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1434960

Last edited by daesept; 04-28-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesept View Post
I will be at AKL the same time you are at POP. You are SOOOO much more prepared than I am!! I am in awe.

I LOVE the picture of you shoes!! I have all of my shoes picked out too. Dh busted me about to take a pic of them, and I didn't take it. Maybe I'll show him your post....hmmm.

ONE WEEK TO GOOO!!

(are YOU packed yet?)
Super, Daesept, I will probably pass you in the parks. I definitely want to tour around AKL shile we are there. Actually I got side-tracked and am 500 miles from home visiting with my DS, so the packing still awaits. I do have the suitcases out and a lot of things stacked in the spare bedroom just waiting! My DH doesn't understand my whole DIS addiction, and would totally think I was nuts if he saw the pics! Oh, well, I still have to condense and print out a lot of tips from the DIS, print each days plan and ADR's on small cards and laminate them to take to the parks, print my Unofficial Guide planning sheets, and finalize my ultimate packing list. Oh yeah, and go for my hair appointment to get my color and cut. ONE MORE WEEK!!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Disneyolic
DIS Veteran

Excellent pre-trip report. I love the pics of years' past and the pics of things you are bringing. I still need to get to that part on my pre-trippie!! Guess I better get going on that....
Old 05-15-2007, 12:31 AM   #14
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

A packed but non-commando trip – I did it!

I did it!

Well, if you read the pre-trippie, you know that my favorite way to see DW is by doing my research, planning carefully, and seeing it all. So this trip I was going to make the effort to be more relaxed and not mind if I led and no one followed!! Well, I did the research, made the plans, and purposely put in quite a lot of flex time. The plan worked WONDEFULLY!! The rest of the crew was happy and we all had a great time!

So, off we went on Saturday May 5. DD and her family actually started on Friday, because they spent the night at the airport motel which offered free parking for the week. They had an early flight and live on the other side of Dallas from DFW, so preferred the security of already being there! DH and I drove to New Orleans, just under an hour away, to catch our flight. Coincidentally, DSIL’s parents were on the same flight with us, as they had decided to go stay at their time share in Orlando that week so they could visit with the grandkids some also. So when we got in line at the airport, guess who was right in front of us in line! So we visited with them until takeoff. Unfortunately for them, we were A people and they were B people, so we got on considerably earlier! Hooray, we got exit row seats with extra leg room! DD and family arrived in Orlando about 5 minutes after we did, so we met before we even got on the monorail to the terminal. Wild Child and Dreamer were very excited and couldn’t wait to get to DW, of course.

The in-laws were renting a car, so they visited briefly and then took off. The rest of us got on Magical Express and rode the magic carpet to Pop Century. Check-in went very smoothly with a VERY nice CM who got us wonderful connecting rooms in the 70’s just past the preferred rooms. We were in Bldg. 6, second floor on the inside, and not far from the elevator/stairs. It was very quiet and close to everything. DD’s room was ready but ours wasn’t but no problem. (It was actually ready before we ever left Pop to head for the park.) We went to see the room and drop off a few things, then headed for the food court. Thanks to the ratings over in the dining section, I got the parmesan chicken and the tie-died cheesecake. The chicken was good and the cheesecake was okay, but not memorable except for the color! The others had an assortment of burgers, hot dogs, and chicken nuggets. No one paid much attention to the food, because we were ready to get to the magic! Well, everyone but DH, who decided to rest his back a bit and then join us for dinner. (His back has been bothering him for years, but he refuses to talk to the doctor about it or go to PT. Not too stubborn! I nag him a little about it but of course it doesn’t work!)

Next: The Magic

Last edited by PittypatBR; 07-27-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: removing the repeated links and cast
Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 AM   #15
nolacindy
Dead men tell no tales

Welcome Home! I'm so excited to be the first to post with you... can't wait to read about all of the fun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: