Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
JunieJay

SSDN
I feel very connected to my strong Italian
Alan Rickman is at the top of the list

Can you spare some pixie dust?

Went to the hospital on Thursday with chest pain and shortness of breath. Was given every test possible - chest x-ray, EKG, CT scan of the heart and lungs, and just to be on the safe side, was admitted for 24 hours -- all normal. Doctor scheduled a stress test to rule out a heart condition, which is scheduled for next week.

Since my mother died (very young) of heart disease, and my father (very young) of lung cancer, to say I'm worried would be putting it mildly. I've tried to keep a stiff upper lip and not mention it here since I know people have real, diagnosed problems they are dealing with, and its a goo chance all of this could just be anxiety on my part. But I know I am among friends here, so I'm spilling anyway.

If you could spare some prayers and PD, I'm eternally grateful.
JunieJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Judi,

I will be hoping for the best for you!! You've always been very supportive of me and I only I hope I can do the same in return.

I'm glad you went to the hospital--so many people would ignore it. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing but "anxiety" (which is really NO fun ) or something like acid reflux, which causes all sorts of similar cardiac symptoms.

I'll be thinking of you and PLEASE let us know how it goes.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

OMG Judi.....now you have me worried.. Please do let us know how the tests turn out. OK.. here's the thing here. I think you know this already, but, my Dad died young and my Mom relatively young, both of heart. So right now I have outlived my Dad by 10 years and am heading to the age of my Mom when she passed..

My reflux mimics a heart attack. I do not have heartburn...I have chest pain so make sure they rule out reflux too. I also get shortness of breath because when the pain starts I start to get nervous and my jaw gets tight too.. all those happen with heart issues..

Got you covered.. try not worry too much until you know what you are dealing with.. Big hugs to you....

One more thought.. remember when I was taken out of WDW in an ambulance from mass at the Luau.. do you remember that? It was reflux then too. Also, I had a stress test when I got home and passed it with flying colors.....Darn that reflux.

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackey Mouse View Post
OMG Judi.....now you have me worried.. Please do let us know how the tests turn out. OK.. here's the thing here. I think you know this already, but, my Dad died young and my Mom relatively young, both of heart. So right now I have outlived my Dad by 10 years and am heading to the age of my Mom when she passed..

My reflux mimics a heart attack. I do not have heartburn...I have chest pain so make sure they rule out reflux too. I also get shortness of breath because when the pain starts I start to get nervous and my jaw gets tight too.. all those happen with heart issues..

Got your covered.. try not worry too much until you know what you are dealing with.. Big hugs to you....
Just wanted to add that my reflux often causes shortness of breath with me. In fact, I've been having that all weekend. I just feel like I can't get a deep breath. Then I end up "overbreathing." Anyway, an irritated esophagus can cause some stimulation of the cardiac nerves (according to my doctor). So, if you're heart comes out "clean", you may want to investigate the reflux aspect. Like Mackey Mouse, I *never* get heartburn.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
JunieJay

SSDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Just wanted to add that my reflux often causes shortness of breath with me. In fact, I've been having that all weekend. I just feel like I can't get a deep breath. Then I end up "overbreathing." Anyway, an irritated esophagus can cause some stimulation of the cardiac nerves (according to my doctor). So, if you're heart comes out "clean", you may want to investigate the reflux aspect. Like Mackey Mouse, I *never* get heartburn.
Thats EXACTLY what it felt like Christine, like I couldn't get a deep breath. Its comforting to know others have this, even though I would not wish it on anyone.

Marsha, I totally remember this happening to you. I sent you a PM before reading your reply. I was thinking of it when I was in the ER, but I couldn't remember what the actual diagnosis turned out to be.

I have never had stomach problems, or heartburn, so I ruled out reflux. Interesting to know it doesn't always present as such.

Thanks ladies for your prayers.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
thompson princesses
Mouseketeer

I was diagnosed with gerd...but I hardly ever have the acid shoot up into my throat. My problem is always the air or gas in my throat and chest. I can have good days then out of the blue I feel like I cannot breathe deep enough or yawn. Sometimes like the wind has been knocked out of me. It's weird...like the chicken/egg thing, I don't know if it's the anxiety that causes the gas or the gas that causes the anxiety. I've even been awakened in the middle of a deep sleep and can't breath. Very scary! I've found that when I belch it helps somewhat. I sound like a beer drinking, pizza eating college kid! I'm glad you are having the heart thing checked out though. But I know this can mimmick heart problems. I also get the heart flutters when I have the breathing problem. I have had enough to know that it isn't my heart and I am not going to die. I wish you the best!

Joaquin Phoenix Lover
thompson princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

I hope everything is OK. Christine is right-it's a great thiing that you are having it checked. Keep us posted.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Saphire
Loves to hear good news
I can't believe they pulled it off!!!

Location: Down By The River Charles...Boston, You're My Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieJay View Post
If you could spare some prayers and PD, I'm eternally grateful.
I will pray for you Judi, that all will be just fine with you and you will get your answers soon.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #9
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Christine

So Judi, when is the stress test? Do you know what kind you are having?

My boss is having the "chemical" stress test in 2 weeks. Apparently, they couldn't get anything conclusive after the normal stress test so he has to go for the more detailed one.

I've been hearing more often that a regular, "old-fashioned" stress test doesn't really tell you much unless you're have a very apparent problem or, but I don't know if that's true. When I had heart symptoms, I never got that far. I just had an echocardiogram done.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 03-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
JunieJay

SSDN

Christine, just the regular exercise stress test. I asked my doctor about the radioactive one and he said my insurance company would only pay for that if the ECG or any of the tests I had done in the hospital were abnormal. I have the test next Wednesday, a week from tomorrow.

In any case, I'm feeling much better today. I have a feeling my problems might have been muscular, because I had a massage last night and miraculously the pain in my back went away. I'm still having the test done though, better safe than sorry!

As I said before, if nothing else, this whole scary episode has given me a wakeup call. Life is too danged short to sweat the small stuff. When I had my overight stay in the hospital I spent most of the time chatting with the husband of my roommate, who was in there after having back surgery that caused some problems with her breathing, so they were watching her heart. She was 53 years old, and had already had a brain tumor, a quadruple bypass, and 4 prior surgeries on her back. Makes one count their blessings and value their good health a lot more. I went for a nice long walk at lunchtime today, instead of sitting on my butt like I usually do. It made me feel better not only physically, but mentally too.

Thanks again for your support guys. This board is so great, I am so glad its here.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieJay View Post
Christine, just the regular exercise stress test. I asked my doctor about the radioactive one and he said my insurance company would only pay for that if the ECG or any of the tests I had done in the hospital were abnormal. I have the test next Wednesday, a week from tomorrow.

In any case, I'm feeling much better today. I have a feeling my problems might have been muscular, because I had a massage last night and miraculously the pain in my back went away. I'm still having the test done though, better safe than sorry!

As I said before, if nothing else, this whole scary episode has given me a wakeup call. Life is too danged short to sweat the small stuff. When I had my overight stay in the hospital I spent most of the time chatting with the husband of my roommate, who was in there after having back surgery that caused some problems with her breathing, so they were watching her heart. She was 53 years old, and had already had a brain tumor, a quadruple bypass, and 4 prior surgeries on her back. Makes one count their blessings and value their good health a lot more. I went for a nice long walk at lunchtime today, instead of sitting on my butt like I usually do. It made me feel better not only physically, but mentally too.

Thanks again for your support guys. This board is so great, I am so glad its here.
So happy to hear your upbeat post....I will be taking your advice as well. I seem to always "sweat the small stuff", and not realize that while doing so, life is passing right by..

Good luck on your test next week.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: