Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
Virgo10
Really, this year there's no one who floats my boat

Talking Gallbladder Support Thread. Leave Your Fatty Food at the Door.

There seems to be a bunch of us who are anticipating surgery or who have just had surgery on our GB's. How about sharing experiences and ideas? I certainly would appreciate it!

While I've had several surgeries in my life, it's still nothing you ever look forward to or can really just shrug off and say oh well about.

So come on in and chat. Looking forward to hearing from pre and post op DISers.
Virgo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
escape
Mouseketeer
I don't buy it. I'm much more weird than that!

I had mine out a few years ago. Luckily, I was able to have the laparoscopic version of the surgery. I didn't experience any gas pain in the shoulders like some people do. I guess the worst of it for me was the soreness afterwards. It felt like someone had used me as a punching bag.

It took me two weeks to start feeling normal. However, every day after the surgery was a little better than the day before. Heck, I was out shopping at Sam's Club the day after - moving a little slowly, but moving. I used the shopping cart as my walker. Note: I wouldn't advise following my actions here.

Disney Races Completed: 2007 - WDW Half, Tower of Terror 13K; 2008 - WDW Marathon , Minnie 15K, Disneyland Half; 2009 - Race for the Taste; 2010 - GOOFY Challenge; Disneyland Half; WDW Wine & Dine Half; 2012 - WDW Half, WDW Relay
;2013 - Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare
escape is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Unhappy I had my gallbladder out yesterday.............

I just had my gallbladder out yesterday. Its not too bad. I also had an umbilical hernia repaired, now that is what is very sore today. I can't do any lifting for 2 weeks. The pain I feel today is much less than a gallbladder attacks I had. I don't have any of the shoulder pain that some people have when they have the laproscopic type of surgery.
luvsmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

Hugs to you anticipating surgery and to luvmickeymouse....big gentle hugs....no squeezing involved..

I have been there and I am so glad that whole gallbladder thing is behind me..now I just deal with controlling the reflux, which causes pain, but no heartburn....weird..

Take it easy on Thanksgiving....so you get through without any attacks, I will do the same...

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Question.......

Am I going to get gallbladder attacks even though I don't have a gallbladder anymore? I have to be careful what I eat because I don't want that anymore.
We just had Thanksgiving and now I am taking it easy and everyone is cleaning up. I didn't eat much. I hope everything is ok with me.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Virgo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmickeymouse
Am I going to get gallbladder attacks even though I don't have a gallbladder anymore? I have to be careful what I eat because I don't want that anymore.
We just had Thanksgiving and now I am taking it easy and everyone is cleaning up. I didn't eat much. I hope everything is ok with me.
That's a good question. I had two friends who had their GB's out years ago. They both said they could eat almost anything but there were some things that still bothered them and they avoided making them part of their menus. It was quite a while ago but I think at least one of them said food that was deep fried. I also think they said that the pain was no where near a GB attack level, just a gassy feeling.

Someone on the Community Board I think told me that you should wait about 6 weeks before resuming your normal diet. Not sure. I'd call the doctor who did the surgery and ask him. If he doesn't know ask to be put in touch with a dietitian. This is something I want answered as well. The two attacks I had were so bad!!! I don't ever want to go through that again.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Virgo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmickeymouse
I just had my gallbladder out yesterday. Its not too bad. I also had an umbilical hernia repaired, now that is what is very sore today. I can't do any lifting for 2 weeks. The pain I feel today is much less than a gallbladder attacks I had. I don't have any of the shoulder pain that some people have when they have the laproscopic type of surgery.
Wow, more gentle hugs to you! Did you have it done as day surgery or spend a night?

Needless to say with only the husband and me, I've skipped the whole TG dinner thing altogether. I'm still waiting for approval from insurance so I can go see a surgeon. It will be two weeks tomorrow since my regular doctor submitted a request. It can take up to 3 weeks.

For the most part, I'm feeling OK. I am on a next to no fat diet. It's also severely lacking in calories and vitamins. I'm tired a lot!

I can't wait for this to be over so I can start living life again in a some what more normal fashion.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
mom+3girls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgo10
Wow, more gentle hugs to you! Did you have it done as day surgery or spend a night?

Needless to say with only the husband and me, I've skipped the whole TG dinner thing altogether. I'm still waiting for approval from insurance so I can go see a surgeon. It will be two weeks tomorrow since my regular doctor submitted a request. It can take up to 3 weeks.

For the most part, I'm feeling OK. I am on a next to no fat diet. It's also severely lacking in calories and vitamins. I'm tired a lot!

I can't wait for this to be over so I can start living life again in a some what more normal fashion.
I am too waiting, mine is scheduled Dec 6, I am feeling tired to, have cut back on the intake of food and very little fat. I went shopping yesterday with my best friend and about half way through the day I said we are going to have to cut this short because I am getting tired she said what in the world is wrong with you, I said well I am not able to eat much and I think it is causing me to be run down. She actually acted mad because I was tired.
I came home and was in the bed by 8 slept for 10 hours.
mom+3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #9
Virgo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom+3girls
I am too waiting, mine is scheduled Dec 6, I am feeling tired to, have cut back on the intake of food and very little fat. I went shopping yesterday with my best friend and about half way through the day I said we are going to have to cut this short because I am getting tired she said what in the world is wrong with you, I said well I am not able to eat much and I think it is causing me to be run down. She actually acted mad because I was tired.
I came home and was in the bed by 8 slept for 10 hours.
Thanks for telling me that! I've been wondering if the increase in fatigue I've been feeling was all in my head. But it does figure considering my caloric intake each day is probably less than 1500 calories.

I want off this diet so bad! I literally have been eating the same 10 things for the past 7 weeks. I'm still cooking human food for the husband though and some times it's just hard.

I guess once it's over, adding new foods will be a trial and error experiment. I expect some things to cause discomfort but I'm hoping that it doesn't reach the level of a full blown attack. That's something I want to find out... can you get that type of pain again once the GB is taken out? The fear factor with eating is going to take some getting use to.

As for your "friend"... A little empathy would be nice.

I'm really hoping to hear that I've got an appointment with the surgeon this week.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
Goofyluver
Knock Knock
edited to make myself look better!rrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwrrrrr
...pssst pssst...
toilet paper is dangerous

I had mine out 10 years ago...I can't believe it has been that long. You absolutely will have continuing symptoms after you've had it removed. It just varies by the person. High fat, high spice foods, or difficult to digest foods are my triggers. I just know that if I eat those things, I have to deal with the consequences.
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.
Goofyluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

I went home the same day. It really was an easy surgery. The only thing that I can really say, is that every move I make pulls on my stomach which hurts. I think the hernia area hurts more than the gallbladder.

Yes, I have heard both, some people still have attacks and some can eat anything.

I am sticking to the low fat diet that I have been on because I have lost weight and need to lose more. I will have to be careful what I eat.

I am glad that I had it done. I wish I was all healed. I can't do much for the next 2 weeks. I can work though.

Virgo10 I hope you can get back to normal life soon.

Yes the gall bladder attacks were the the worst pain. Worse than surgery.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #12
snowwite
DIS Veteran

I have GB disease and newly diagnosed NASH fatty liver. I am soooo scared to have the surgery. I am a risk manager and see all the worst case outcomes which is only making me more worried. Have a lot of you sucessfully had the surgery? I already found out the ERCP and lithotripsy are not an option due to large stones.

snowwite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: