Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

California Grill - reviews

This table service restaurant is located in the Disneyland Hotel.
This is the tour de force of culinary offerings in the Disneyland Paris Resort.
Considered to have the most extensive wine list and on the to-do list if you are looking for a fine dining experience; albeit at a price.
Have a look here for a look at the restaurant.

Link to other restaurant reviews

Okay as previously announced we are hoping the boards can help If you have photographs of the restaurant and the food. If you have eaten here and can write a review. Even a couple of lines of what you liked, things to watch out for.. would be appreciated if you posted below

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.

Last edited by Cyrano; 10-28-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Willem
Need Magic?

The food in this restaurant is terrific! Very "chique, but our server didn't really fit in. He missed the necessary class. However if you're looking for fine cuisine with park view, go here. Other top restaurants in DLP are Manhattan and Yacht Club.

Disneyland Paris +150 visits
WDW July/August 2013
DCL Magic July 2011
Disneyland Anaheim July 2010
WDW August 2008
DCL Wonder August 2008
Tokyo Disneyland August 2007
Disneyland Anaheim August 2006
WDW August 2004
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

We dined at the CG a few weeks ago as our "Anniversary Meal" on our 4 day trip. We were booked in at Buffalow Bills but they tried to rip us off and we ruder than rude so we asked the Concierge at the DLH where we were staying what we could do instead for something special and she swung it for us to dine at the CG

We had a beautiful view of the castle and the food was fantastic. Highly recommend if you fancy something special and don't mind paying a little more.

Oh, girls - take a wrap with you, the air conditioning was a little chilly after a while!!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Bolanette87
The Queen Bee
I change my mind more often than my knickers
You have made this little dipstick very happy today!

Another restaurant query I'm afraid!! Has anyone dined here recently? If so, what is the food like??

Bob xoxoxox
Bolanette87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
marcus.ka
DLRP Hotel Fan!
Donít say Eurodisney. Itís Disneyland Resort Paris

We ate there in June 2006 (so a little while ago). But back then the food and the atmosphere were great. I would eat there again every time.
Some pictures of the food and of the view that you can have from that restaurant can be found in my album here:

http://pp.mousekingdom.com/thumbnails.php?album=281
Old 03-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Bolanette87
The Queen Bee

Thank you Marcus! The food does look gorgeous!

Was only enquiring because of the fussy nature of my partner!

Thanks again.

Bob xoxoxox
Bolanette87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
A Small World

I always like to give a little royal wave whilst Im up there
Not even looking at it til I get some housework done

As promised up dated menus from this weekend

WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL; Dec 13 - DLP SL, Dec 14 - DLP DLH

A Small World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
mummyal
Think it was too much jigging around
My must-do's are ToT RnR and Crush

We had a reservation for 6.30pm on Friday, December 19th. There were only a couple of other tables there at the time but more families started arriving around the 7/7.30pm mark. Again, we used our HB Premium vouchers here and we went for the Tinkerbell set menu (same menu as what Small World has posted before this).

We were shown to our table right away and the kids were given their menu/colouring pencils and they got to work right away.

DH and I had the smoked salmon for starters (and the kids ate some of it as well.... grrrrr lol).

Louise's starter - vegetables, chive creme fraiche dip:

Adam's starter - vegetable soup (which was rather tasty), Mickey crouton:

DH's main - pan-fried sea bass fillet. Unfortunately, the fish was rather tasteless and a bit on the overcooked side, so it was a bit dry. There wasn't much of a sauce to go with it either.

My main - lamb shank in red wine sauce. I have had nicer and more tender lamb shanks before where the meat actually fell off the bone. This one was quite tasty but the meat wasn't as tender and the sauce was actually a bit on the thick side (I know, I know, we're fussy lol).

Louise's steamed salmon steak (which had more taste than DH's sea bass lol), rice & buttered vegetables

Adam's Linguini bolognaise - which was very tasty (and he ate most of it).

Our dessert - caramelised apple tart with choc ice-cream (supposed to be caramel ice-cream). This was lovely!

Louise chose 'Mickey's Painting Workshop', ie pieces of choc jigsaw puzzle. She only ate 1.5 pieces of this as it was sooo sickly sweet (a bit like the Cinderella's slipper).

Adam's ice-cream - 3 scoops with Mickey waffle (the waffle disappeared rather quickly lol)

Once again, we were glad that we had the HB vouchers for this. I think we would've been rather disappointed if we had to pay full price for the meal we had (and we're the sort who do not mind paying for a very nice meal). I would be willing to go back to give it another go though . Perhaps the chef wasn't having a good moment at the time. We found the atmosphere to be really nice and calm. There were quite a few families then with young kids and all were very well behaved, including my two Service was also very good. We got another 'freebie' this evening. Well, not quite a freebie but might as well have been. We also ordered a bottle of wine and 2 coffees at the end, so we would've had to pay an extra 38 euros (yes, the wine was 30E). The lady came back and told us that we didn't have to pay for the kids' meals - they had this offer where one kid ate free with one paying adult if we were seated before 7. So, she used the face value of both their vouchers and we only had to pay 8 euros in the end .

Sept 2006 - Sequoia Lodge :: April 2008 - Sequoia Lodge :: December 2008 - Hotel New York

Last edited by mummyal; 12-26-2008 at 04:51 PM.
mummyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
gemmybear83
I would blame it all on Bob
Awww I love the first day
You could stay behind after your meal and have another drink

We dined here on the 2nd December 08, we used our half board vouchers and had reservations for 8pm.

The customer service was very good, the staff were very polite and explained how the vouchers worked. Henry ate off the tinkerbell menu and I ate off the veggie menu.

Again we were lucky enough to get a castle view whoop whoop! The restaurant interior is quite pretty but I think Walts is a lot more luxurious in decor than the California Grill.

Our food piccies:

Henry had the foie gras to start with which was very nice, very creamy though so you could only eat a small amount

I had the mushroom ravoli which was lovely, very tasty although the food portion was far too big for me!

For mains Henry had the chicken and prawn mini skewers with indian spices

and I had the veggie curry, which was lovely and very mild (but not too creamy!). This also came with poppodoms and dips that I don't have a photo off (sorry!)

For dessert we both had the chocolate dessert which was lovely and came with my favourite pear sorbet!

We both really enjoyed our meals here, the food was very good quality and I enjoyed the relatively slow pace of the meal. I will be dining here again!

Last edited by gemmybear83; 12-28-2008 at 05:39 PM.
gemmybear83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
A Small World

We ate here on 17th Feb for the first time and loved it.
DD chose the vegetable soup with Mickey crouton and thought it was absolutely delicious

Then the Linguine Bolognaise which again she thought was delicious

For desert she was excited about being to at last order the Mickey painting puzzle but when we ordered she was disappointed to be told they had none left so had the Ile Flotantes instead which she really enjoyed as this is a favourite desert of ours when we are in France.

DH and I decided to be adventurous and go for the Tasting Menu and it was all absolutely yummy. I cant say there was anything I didnít enjoy and was surprised how big some of the portions were.

Crispy Scallops with sesame seeds and candied ginger viangrette

Foie Gras with gingerbread, papaya tartar and Espelette peppers

John Dory Fillet with breadcrumb and gomasio crust, ****ake mushrooms, soba noodles, matcha green tea sauce

Pan fried Charolais beef fillet, jus flavoured with penja pepper, potato kadaif with fresh coriander Ė sorry we had almost eaten it before we remembered that we hadnít taken a photo.

A selection of cheeses and biscuits

Pear roasted with spices, brown sugar biscuit millefeuilles, white chocolate sauce

Coffee - There was also meant to be petit fours but they didnít bring any and we didnít ask as I couldnít have eaten another thing and DD was a bit tired by this point as we had been in there for a long time

It was a marvellous meal which obviously wasnít covered by the premium voucher but they took off the AP discount first before the voucher making it a reasonable amount.

I would definitely eat here again but would probably have a normal meal next time but am glad I went for the tasting menu as it gave me chance to try things I wouldnít normally order.
WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL; Dec 13 - DLP SL, Dec 14 - DLP DLH

Old 04-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
A Small World

New Menu from California Grill - April 09. No tasting menu now.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
isma
Mouseketeer

We had dinner here this Monday at 8pm and were seated at a window table. Thought it is a very nice designed restaurant. Our waiter was great and really funny. We both had the Tinkerbell Menu. As a starter we had the tomato and basil gazpacho, which was very good. Then we had the summer lasagna, very good with baby salad leaves, which werenīt that good since they came without any sauce or dressing.
The dessert was the best, we had warm chocolate cake with apricot dessert and that was very yummy. All in all we were happy and would eat here again.
WDW 2008 All Star-Sports
2009 Newport Bay Club
isma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Bolanette87
The Queen Bee

We had an amazing meal here on the final night of our recent trip. Probably the best meal out I have ever had in my life!

We were seated by a very professional CM (In fact, the same one we had last time!) in the very quiet restaurant at around 7pm.

We decided to be decadent and go for all three courses....

We were brought a small appestiser of baby summer vegetables with cream cheese, which was very nice indeed:

Robert opted for the Serrano Ham with Limoncello Sorbet, tapanade, breadsticks and salad (The salad was inside the glass cone):

He loved this starter, saying the ham was of excellent quality and that the sorbet went particularly well with it.

I went for the crispy langoustines with summer vegetables, aioli and olive oil dressing...

WOW is the only way to describe them. Perfectly cooked, and absolutely delicious. A perfect starter!

I went for the seabass with red rice, zucchini flower fritter and grilled zucchinis... It was absolutely delicious! The olive oil based sauce was light and gave the fish a lovely mild, creamy aftertaste. The red rice was very nice- Rather nutty in flavour which cut through the richness of the fish pefectly. The zucchini flower fritter was fabulous- The California Grill definately makes the best ones of these I have ever tasted!

However, my main course PALED in comparison to what Robert ordered. He went for the Rib of Beef (Cooked Medium Rare) with Bernaise Sauce and chips. It doesn't sound like anything amazing, but believe me it was. I was insanely jealous when he reluctantly cut me off a tiny piece to sample- It was the most amazing piece of beef imaginable, and he nearly cried when there was none left as it was so wonderful (No exaggeration, it was honestly that good!). The bernaise sauce was excellent, as were the chips and tasty side salad:

It was then time for dessert... Robert opted for the roasted apricots with spices, served on homemade shortbread with an almond sorbet and a honey creme-brulee:

He really enjoyed this and said it was probably one of his favourite Disney desserts ever. The flavours and textures were amazing together...

I went for the crisp chocolate and cherry dessert which consisted of wafer thin tiered chocolate filled with cherries and rich, smooth chocolate ganache. This came with a green tea sorbet (Great for palate clensing with a rich dessert), cherry mousse, cherry coulis and a chocolate twirl. This was, without a doubt, one of the best desserts I have ever eaten in my life.

We were now full to bursting, but had enjoyed every single bite beyond measure. We shared a large bottle of mineral water, and the bill came to a total of 152Euro. Expensive, yes, but absolutely worth it for one of the best meals I have ever had in my life, if not the best. We will certainly return to the California Grill!

I also feel it is worth pointing out that there is still a tasting menu on offer, but the chef chooses five different dishes every day. It is also only available if everyone at the table orders it.

Bob xoxoxox
Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
lilacgems23
DIS Veteran

We didnt eat here but took photos of the menu

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nov 2010 Cheyenne[/COLOR]
lilacgems23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

DH and I ate here on Friday 30th November. We had a particularly lovely meal and very good service. However, I did feel the atmosphere wasn't to everyone's tastes and I'm not sure I'd rush back. I certainly wouldn't take the children here (although there were a few children dining when we did). But if you want fine dining, and good service (and don't mind the price tag) then this is the place to eat in DLRP!

I managed to delete some of our food photos but did take some of the menu - there are several different options.

Starters:

Mains:

Desserts:

Child's menu:

Tasting Menu:

Premium Voucher menu:

Tinkerbell menu (set menu):

We didn't have a starter as we had, had brunch (late breakfast) in the DLH that day. We had a main course from the a la carte menu.

DH had the fillet of beef (looked divine) and then the cheese board for after. The waiter asked him if wished to pick his own cheeses or let him do it. DH chose the latter. Unfortunately I deleted these photos - sorry!

I had the lamb shoulder in a pastry shell and then the Chef's recommended 'Beauty & the Beast' dessert - it was heaven. The main was one of the best I have tasted and the dessert was something I wouldn't normally pick as it was flavoured with rose. But it just looked so pretty (they had a sample outside the restaurant to show), so I couldn't resist. Pleased I tried it as it was gorgeous and so, so pretty. I took a few of the sweetie petals and the rose back for the girls .

Here was the sample dessert:

My main:

My dessert:

We also ordered a bottle of the 20th Anniversary wine - it was a Chardonnay (it wasn't on the wine list which is extensive at Cali Grill!). It was quite nice.

Can't remember the exact price but with shareholders discount it was about 140 euros for the two of us.

Like I said earlier, we thoroughly enjoyed an 'adult' meal at DLRP, and I would recommend it for this, or for a special occasion, but it's not something I would rush to do every trip.

Last edited by DLPDreams; 12-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.
DLPDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: