DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
las3888
DIS Veteran

New rules about transferring points question?

We have 3 separate smaller resale contracts that we use for our DVC stays. We occasionally transfer points to make up the balance for a stay, and occasionally we just book 2 nights from one contract, 3 nights from another contract etc. It all depends on the situation, how soon the points are expiring, many other factors. Are they really going to ban me from transferring points into and out of my contracts other than 1x per year? It's obvious the points are all ours...they are in my DH and my name. We are using them for ressies that are connected to one another. I just hate to get pigeon-holed and hope not to end up in a situation when we end up losing points because we couldn't transfer them and maybe there weren't enough in one account (i.e. 25 points or something) in one account when we are trying to book a 2BR and 25 points won't get us even 1 night's stay....thoughts from the boards???
las3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by las3888
We have 3 separate smaller resale contracts that we use for our DVC stays. We occasionally transfer points to make up the balance for a stay, and occasionally we just book 2 nights from one contract, 3 nights from another contract etc. It all depends on the situation, how soon the points are expiring, many other factors. Are they really going to ban me from transferring points into and out of my contracts other than 1x per year? It's obvious the points are all ours...they are in my DH and my name. We are using them for ressies that are connected to one another. I just hate to get pigeon-holed and hope not to end up in a situation when we end up losing points because we couldn't transfer them and maybe there weren't enough in one account (i.e. 25 points or something) in one account when we are trying to book a 2BR and 25 points won't get us even 1 night's stay....thoughts from the boards???
If they're totally separate contracts, yes they will. And hence my argument that this will hurt the casual members more than those who rent consistently.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 AM   #3
Longhairbear
DIS Veteran

Hi Dean,
Could you explain your theory? Just asking for clarification, as I have 4 contracts in my name all the same resort and use year. The last 3 were add ons, and one contract has only 10 points in it, to make up for the total I was purchasing. Doesn't DVC just take a few points from each contract to fill a ressie? That has been the pattern I have noticed on my account.
However if I had one of those contacts at a different resort, I could understand that using points from that contract for an 11 month window would require a transfer/morph. I think that is what I assumed, and decided against buying at SSR, and doing an add on instead through DVC.
Does your arguement of hurting the casual member, mean that those that have several contracts,all at different resorts will now be limited to one transfer, if booking before 7 months?
Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
If they're totally separate contracts, yes they will. And hence my argument that this will hurt the casual members more than those who rent consistently.
Longhairbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhairbear
Hi Dean,
Could you explain your theory? Just asking for clarification, as I have 4 contracts in my name all the same resort and use year. The last 3 were add ons, and one contract has only 10 points in it, to make up for the total I was purchasing. Doesn't DVC just take a few points from each contract to fill a ressie? That has been the pattern I have noticed on my account.
However if I had one of those contacts at a different resort, I could understand that using points from that contract for an 11 month window would require a transfer/morph. I think that is what I assumed, and decided against buying at SSR, and doing an add on instead through DVC.
Does your arguement of hurting the casual member, mean that those that have several contracts,all at different resorts will now be limited to one transfer, if booking before 7 months?
Frank
IMO, it does harm the average member far more than the renters. It means you can’t feasibly add a few points to round out a reservation, many won’t be comfortable with that isolated renal situation to pay for a cruise or the like, that rental prices will likely go higher and that those who would have transferred as a rental will be more inclined to lock up high demand weeks for rental. A single member with multiple contracts will likely be affected in that if they transfer from one contract to another, it locks that option out the rest of that use year for both contracts.

In your situation with the multiple contract in one Master Contract, if I understand correctly, you aren't transferring from one contract to another with regular usage so at least you're not tying them up that way. However, you will only have one transfer per master contract where if they were totally separate contracts, you would get one per each individual contract.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Shawn
Oregon DVC Member of VWL

I haven't been on the DIS for a month or two, so this is all new to me. I'm a DVD member, but I never receive the email that others received it seems, and I don't see this announcement posted on the DVC site. Could somebody post the original email for me?

-Shawn

• 2013 Paradise Pier Disneyland Dec 21-27 (6th trip DH, DW, DD1, DGD1, DSIL1)
  • 2011 VWL Dec 17-24 (5th trip DD2, DD3, DGD1)
  • 2009 Grand Californian Dec 5-12 (4th trip DD2, DD3)
  • 2007 VWL First DW Trip Dec 15-21 (3rd trip DD2, DD3, 1st trip DGD1)
  • 2006 Disney 50th Celebration DLH May 13 - 19 (2nd trip DD2, DD3)
  • 2004 Disney Christmas at DLH Dec 21 - 26 (1st trip DD2, DD3)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
I haven't been on the DIS for a month or two, so this is all new to me. I'm a DVD member, but I never receive the email that others received it seems, and I don't see this announcement posted on the DVC site. Could somebody post the original email for me?

-Shawn
I believe the same info that was sent out via email is listed in the latest issue of Vacation Magic. I'm having some problems with my PC at the moment so I can't reproduce the text of it here, but you can access it on the members' website. From the "Just for Members" menu, select "Member Publications". Then under the paragraph entitled "Vacation Magic", click the link: "View Latest Issue".

ETA: Got it. Here it is:
Quote:
Policies protect personal use and enjoyment
In a continuing effort to maximize Members' personal enjoyment of their Membership, Disney Vacation Club would like to remind Members about several related policies outlined in the Public Offering Statement and other Member documents.

As a reminder, published policies limit the use of accommodations and recreational facilities solely to the personal use and enjoyment of Owners, their lessees, Guests, exchangers and invitees and for recreational uses by corporations and other entities owning Ownership Interests in a Unit.

To maximize the availability of reservations for these permitted purposes, Disney Vacation Club closely monitors reservations and may cancel reserved accommodations if a pattern of rental activity for profit is discovered.

Additionally, current policies limit Vacation Point-transfer transactions to one transfer per Member or Membership, either as transferee or transferor, during a given Use Year.

"We want to ensure that Members have the greatest opportunity to enjoy the magic of Membership," said Leigh Anne Nieman, Director of Business Standards and Regulatory Affairs for Disney Vacation Club. "With that in mind, we're committed to maximizing the availability of Ownership Interests and accommodations for Members' personal enjoyment, and we're committed to enforcing the policies that help us deliver on that commitment."

It has always been the policy of Disney Vacation Club that Membership is designed specifically to provide long-term personal enjoyment, and Members shouldn't purchase their Membership as an appreciable short-term investment.

Last edited by LisaS; 08-23-2006 at 10:13 PM.
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
DisneyTarheel

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
IMO, it does harm the average member far more than the renters.
I am that "average member." Never done a transfer either way before, but have been looking to add about 70 points into my 06 UY and have had 2 potential transferors turned away by MS b/c of the 1-and-done policy

Last edited by DisneyTarheel; 08-25-2006 at 02:03 PM.
DisneyTarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

lisas - thanx for the explanation...so confusing?

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTarheel
I am that "average member." Never done a transfer either way before, but have been looking to add about 70 points into my 06 UY and have had 2 potential transferors turned away by MS b/c of the 1-and-done policy
It's actually worse than that. This move devalues points not directly used for DVC stays and including exchange options. Here's why. Many people who were never comfortable renting, were comfortable transferring due to the clean method and the fact that once you had completed the transfer, you were done and had nothing to think or worry about. And many of those that were comfortable renting on a limited basis previously, will likely not be willing to do so now. Thus they are more likely to trade them to DVD for DCL, DC, CC. Then DVD has more rooms to rent out (reserved on points and some at high demand times) and likely will not get nearly as much $$$ per point with those extra rooms/points in the mix. So the points options will likely go up in the next 2-3 yeas if things continue to look like they do now. It's really a double whammy and affects every member who would rent, transfer or exchange in any way except II or a direct private timeshare exchange. So the points go from a value of $6-7 per point for exchanges to $5-6 per point.

And since a large portion of the points for rent or transfer are those situational (? one time) renters, there will likely be a lot less points for rent/transfer. The price will actually go up for those willing to proceed. And since this forces less transfers for those that were doing a number of them, they will be more likely to reserve and rent high demand times. I can think of a number of ways for those who DIS feel are "commercial renters" to actually take advantage of this situation and do better, not worse, under the new rules.

And the only people this will actually help are those who own at the more difficult to reserve resorts after the 11 month window but up to the 7 month window opens. And those people with distress points will lose out on options they had previously and likely will lose their points totally in many cases.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
mochabean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhairbear
Hi Dean,
Frank
If you have ONE master contract and the three others were addons with the same master contract number, then MS can take points from whatever contract to complete a reservation without transferring.

In the OP's case the three contracts are all master contracts with three different contract numbers because they were purchased resale and not as addons. Thus MS cannot take points from other contracts to complete a reservation. They need to be officially transferred before completing the reservation.

To the OP: In your situation the best bet is judicious use of banking and borrowing. As long as you vacation often enough it won't matter. You won't lose those 25 points just because they aren't enough to book a 2BR if you bank them. Obviously this makes the system less flexible to the people who vacation less often but that is the rule, and it seems to penalize people who have multiple separate contracts purchased through resale.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabean

To the OP: In your situation the best bet is judicious use of banking and borrowing. As long as you vacation often enough it won't matter. You won't lose those 25 points just because they aren't enough to book a 2BR if you bank them. Obviously this makes the system less flexible to the people who vacation less often but that is the rule, and it seems to penalize people who have multiple separate contracts purchased through resale.
And lots of planning. Its doable, but this is another example of why timeshares are best for planners and not great for "hey, lets take Aunt Sue down for a trip next month!"
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #12
pat-rick
Mouseketeer

I have 2 contracts purchased through Disney but with different UY's.
I have done a transfer every year. We normally take a Thanksgiving trip with up to 12 people and use several rooms. I do not have enough points to do it all with 1 UY so I transfer any balance needed to the original and leave whats remaining in the 2nd for a short stay or 2.
Now my daughter has purchased a contract and until now I had planned to transfer to her points if the need arose. With the transfer limitation now to 1-time per year/contract my transfer at Thanksgiving will kill my options.
--09/03 Love DVC, Additional Contracts
--09/03 OKW --10/03 BCV
--01/04 BCV --05/04 BWV --11/04 BCV --2/04 PC
--05/05 BCV --11/05 BCV
--03/06 CS --10/06 BCV --12/06 BCV
--09/07 BCV -- 12/07 SSV
--05/08 BCV -- 11/08 BCV
--04/09 BWV --09/09 BLT --10/09 BCV --12/09 BCV
--05/10 SSV -- 09/10 BWV -- 11/10 BCV
--02/11 BCV -- 09/11 AKV -- 11/11 BCV
--03/12 AKL --
--10/12 BCV-Cruise-BCV -- 12/12 BCV
pat-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabean
If you have ONE master contract and the three others were addons with the same master contract number, then MS can take points from whatever contract to complete a reservation without transferring.

In the OP's case the three contracts are all master contracts with three different contract numbers because they were purchased resale and not as addons. Thus MS cannot take points from other contracts to complete a reservation. They need to be officially transferred before completing the reservation.

True but,

not @ 11 month window for different resorts.

Example:

my original contract is @ WLV,

add on @ BWV...

can't use the BWV points to book ressie @ WLV until the 7 month window & vice-a-versa.

Enough to rock my boat until I add on to complete my holdings. Don't think for a minute DVC hasn't figured out that angle & is hustling to close it.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
mochabean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow
True but,

not @ 11 month window for different resorts.

Example:

my original contract is @ WLV,

add on @ BWV...

can't use the BWV points to book ressie @ WLV until the 7 month window & vice-a-versa.

Enough to rock my boat until I add on to complete my holdings. Don't think for a minute DVC hasn't figured out that angle & is hustling to close it.
You couldn't do that before and stay within the rules. You would have to morph points to use the BWV points to book a ressie @ WLV before the 7 month window. This really hasn't changed at all. Morphing is the loophole DVC needs to close; whether they are hustling or not I don't know. Clearly limiting the transfers to 1 per year mitigates the morphing issue somewhat but doesn't eliminate it.

In Longhairbear's case all 4 contracts are the same home resort and UY so it wouldn't matter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: