Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Sinclare
DIS Veteran

Why no love for passholders on rates?

This new system is just trying to milk every last dime from passholders. After seeing the $59 a night passholder rate listing I (on dis near the dates for October) I called to book. I guess I was just overly excited and didn't see the next half of the line that said from 11/26 to 12-4. What really supprised me though was that with this "Passholder" "SPECIAL CODE" they quoted me $79 a night at a value plus $10 for an extra adult.

It used to be that being a passholder meant something, now it's not worth squat. You can get the same rate with a AAA card. I mean $79 a night as a "special rate" is just insulting. Considering the price for the PAP and as much time/money as I spend there they would cut PH's a break like they used to.

Now I know you're supposed to just "reserve" your room at price and "hope" they knock the price down if they just "decide" to drop rates; yea right. With gas prices the way they are and their blood sucking new pass holder "benefits" I'm afraid I'm going to have to break our tradition of going to WDW for vacations.

I know this is a bit of a rant and that some people actually like the new system but I'm not one of them. I'm going to miss you Mickey but you can only suck so much money out of me
----------------------------------
2005 Father & Son BIG 2 week getaway! June 3rd-17th; 2005 Father & Son MNSSHP Trip; Oct. 10-13th.
-----------------------------------------
2006 Father & Son & Family BIG 2 week getaway! June 3rd – June 17th; 2006 Father & Son MNSSHP Camping at FW Oct. 7th – 14th
2007 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 16-July 3rd - 2008 Fort Wilderness Trip. May 31-June 18th
2009 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 27-July 14th 2010 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 12-June 26th 2012 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 30-July 15th

Sinclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

I agree with you (although we will continue to let Mickey suck money out of us ). We used to get great discounts on our rooms with an AP code. On our upcoming trip during the value season I got $10 a night off of our POR stay and $40 a night off of the Poly, which is good but not great. I don't want to sound ungrateful but really if we hadn't received any discount I would have cancelled our room at the Poly because to me it's not worth $320 a night (and I love it). When we stayed at POR in 2004 we got the room with a room only discount code for $100 a night and that wasn't during value season! Disney's been getting stingier every year that passes with codes.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
OK GRUMPY
And that is some useless chit chat!
I wonder if they serve Green Beer

I agree and I am thinking of not renewinng our passes or going back for a long time. I have a reservation for December but I don't think I will go back Theres only palces in the US that I'm looking at tring instead of going to Disney every year.

OK GRUMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK GRUMPY
I agree and I am thinking of not renewinng our passes or going back for a long time. I have a reservation for December but I don't think I will go back Theres only palces in the US that I'm looking at tring instead of going to Disney every year.
I know what you mean! My DBF and I were looking into going to Hawaii next year and with everything included it's just $1,000 more for the same amount of nights at WDW. And we drive to WDW! Of course we could go to WDW cheaper but with ticket prices steadily going up, benefits going down for people who don't do the packages, and discounts being slim it's more and more expensive to have the kind of trip we want. Ok, I'm done throwing a pity party.

Not to mention that the DDE card went up in price as well.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
WDW Poly Princess
Needs a Disney Fix
Cannot, under any circumstances, say no to a glazed Krispy Kreme
Let's just hope that I never get drunk and end up with Snape tattooed on my butt

I'm just so happy that they got rid of Best Rate that I'll take what I can get at this point I think that a big factor in how deep of a discount you get is which season you go in, ie bigger discounts when crowds are low.

But Why is the Rum Gone? The Disneyween Trip ~*~No Day But Today- January 2007 Report

May 2000 - Poly & DCL * May 2001-WL, PO-R & ASMo * Dec 2001- PO-R, AKL, Poly, and WL * Nov 2002 -ASMu,Poly and PO-R * Dec 2004- ASMu, WL, PO-FQ, Poly, and PO-R * Dec 2005- ASMu, OKW and the Swan * Feb 2006- Pop Century * Jan 2007- ASMu, WL, AKL and BCV* Oct 2007-AS Sp,OKW, BCV, POR * Dec 2007- Gave up and moved there!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
WDW Poly Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
Dis31
My middle name is Rice Krispy

I just saved over 800 with my AP for Thanksgiving !!!! But I can remember a few years ago when we stayed at WL for 120 a night.
WL ~06
YC~06
POR July 06
SURPISE trip(SHH) Beach Club concierge LV August 06
BOOed by galligan4 Thanks!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...2571/event.png
Dis31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclare
This new system is just trying to milk every last dime from passholders. After seeing the $59 a night passholder rate listing I (on dis near the dates for October) I called to book. I guess I was just overly excited and didn't see the next half of the line that said from 11/26 to 12-4. What really supprised me though was that with this "Passholder" "SPECIAL CODE" they quoted me $79 a night at a value plus $10 for an extra adult.

It used to be that being a passholder meant something, now it's not worth squat. You can get the same rate with a AAA card. I mean $79 a night as a "special rate" is just insulting. Considering the price for the PAP and as much time/money as I spend there they would cut PH's a break like they used to.

Now I know you're supposed to just "reserve" your room at price and "hope" they knock the price down if they just "decide" to drop rates; yea right. With gas prices the way they are and their blood sucking new pass holder "benefits" I'm afraid I'm going to have to break our tradition of going to WDW for vacations.

I know this is a bit of a rant and that some people actually like the new system but I'm not one of them. I'm going to miss you Mickey but you can only suck so much money out of me
I just went through this too and I bet I know what the reason is. I booked Pop Century in December and they only had preferred location rooms available.

Because I could only book a preferred room, I had to pay an extra $40 for 3 nights. Couldn't find any availability at all at the All-Stars.

I think right now they really don't need to make as many discounts available to help fill rooms, but I also know they've greatly expanded the inventory of "preferred" rooms at the values. It costs $12 more per night to book a "preferred" room, and if that's all they have available, that's what you'll book if you really want to go.

My "preferred" room is still $10 a night less than it would have been if I booked a standard without the discount I think.

But I bought the AP because I am there a lot, not primarily because I want a room discount.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 08-17-2006 at 08:09 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
New England Eeyore
Bradley Whitford and Rob Lowe are my boyfriends!
You try being a country music fan in Boston - it just ain't done!
M&M Artist Extraodinaire

I think we all know the discounts are not guaranteed. I think a great many of us, however, are disappointed and I think it's perfectly normal to feel that way.

A lot of websites (including this one) outline the benefits of an AP, the number one of which always seems to be resort discounts. I quote Mousesavers "Savings for Annual and Seasonal Passholders can be deep (up to 45%)" and again "When available, the Annual Passholder rates are so good that in some cases it's worth investing in an Annual Pass for relatively short stays!" In the past, that was a wonderful feature that probably helped many people. It's too bad it's not the case right now.

Personally, I always knew it was a gamble to count on resort discounts. My currently planned vacations don't depend on them - we'll go regardless. My gamble probably won't pay off and in the end Disney will win, because I'll probably feel that I 'need' to go an extra time or too to justify having bought the pass. They know what they're doing, that's for sure.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #9
mickeyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclare

Sorry I don't agree at all. They are giving you exactly what they always did with a AP 365 days of park entrance, park hopping and water parks, if a PAP. The room discounts were always an extra but never a guarantee.
mickeyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
PamNC
A burger is a burger, right
I'd rather go down to Florida, visit Mickey and get some sand in my shoes

We love Disney!

But, I know what you're saying. It's getting so crazy expensive. We didn't renew our AP's this year. In hindsight, I guess we should have since the new price is $462.00! That's crazy. I remember when the AP's paid for themselves in 8 days. No longer the case. Then, top that off with the fact that discounts aren't what they use to be. I remember going to the Polynesian during value season for $199 AP rate. Then, regular season for $229.00. Right now, the regular season discount rate is $289. I'm talking Garden View of course.

We honeymooned at Disney in 1994. And, we've gone every year since - some years 2 and 3 times. It has such sentimental value to us on top of it being a fantastic vacation! But, we have to start thinking about more trips to other destinations. We do go to the gulf coast of Florida in addition to Disney, but we make that a side trip and Disney our main trip. We could go to Siesta Key, FL - rent a condo for $795 for the entire week. A nice, gulf front condo. No ticket media to purchase. Meal costs aren't crazy expensive...we could go to this lovely place (and have done so) for less than $2,000.00. For what a Disney trip costs, we could almost do Hawaii which is our dream.

But, it makes me sad. Disney is our spot. Our special happy place!

Here's the good news - the Swan and Dolphin offer decent discounts. And, you don't have to have AP's. We've stayed there twice and love it...I can't say they are my favorite resort there on property, but it's high up on the list. We'll probably start staying there a lot more. We typically go on average 2x a year. Sometimes 2 trips plus one small long weekend trip. For the longer trip, we stay at one of our favorite Disney-owned resorts..the Polynesian, YC, BC usually. We've also stayed at GF, WL and OKW. Then, for a shorter trip we stay at the Swan or Dolphin. It's getting to the point where that is all we can afford - the Swan or Dolphin. Which isn't a bad thing!

All this said, what we're planning on doing is cutting our trips down to once a year, which means not buying AP's. Then eventually, we may wean off to once every other year. I don't know.

I'm sad.

PamNC
Old 08-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #11
DizzyBell
Mouseketeer

Well.... we did get an AP rate!

We did get an AP rate for Thanksgiving! Compared to the past the rates are not as great as they have been but still we did get a rate of $130 per night at CSR (that is without tax of course). We spend every evening in PI so the Premium Annual Pass is something we do get our money out of. I do remember days when AP rates were better but to me it beats paying the standard rate that would normally apply if you did not have an AP. I guess, it depends on how much you want to go and what you are willing to pay. "Mickey" wins this time but with Millionaire gone and prices soaring... who knows if all inclusive vacations might be a possiblity in the future. After all.... we love WDW but as a Passholder the discount should grow stronger over time not weaken! IMHO
91 days and counting till Cap'n Jack!
June 2004 CSR
Thanksgiving 2003 CSR
Easter 2002 CSR
Jan 2002 POFQ
July 2000 CSR
Easter 2000 OKW
May 1999 CSR
July 1998 CSR
Easter 1998 CSR
July 1997 CSR
1974-1996 Offsite
DizzyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
Disney Davo
Got my Ears in 68

Boy this thread really blew up. Frankly I think this one is as bad as the pee in the bed one that was posted on the Resort forum. I'm a Florida resident about 6 hours away from WDW, we are taking our third trip this year. I get my Mickey Monitor every quarter, I think. I feel I've gotten some great discounts and I am pleased with my AP. WDW just sent me an on-line survey and I let them know that discounted price means the difference from statying on Disney property or off sight. The Orlando area has some great hotels and resorts.
Disney Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #13
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

We have traditionally gone to Disney 4-6 times a year. We aren't big park people, so for us, the draw of the AP has been the room discount. I wouldn't even get an AP, if I could get a discount Epcot in the evening ticket. I have AAA, and continue to get email codes, which gave me decent room discounts. Right now, the non expiring tickets will do it for us, over the AP rate, unless I see a really good room discount. I did not renew this year for the first time in years and years, and instead, I cancelled my next Disney trip, and I'm going to Hawaii and CA for two weeks. I suspect, without that AP making me feel I need to get my money worth by going many times to Disney, our trips to FL will dwindle, and we'll continue to see the rest of the US instead. So, in my case, Disney will be making less money, since without the AP, we aren't as inclined to go to Disney. And without the good room discounts, we aren't as inclined to get an AP.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #14
Markstudy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick
without that AP making me feel I need to get my money worth by going many times to Disney..

...Disney will be making less money, And without the good room discounts, we aren't as inclined to get an AP.
Disney will make more money if they can shift away from people that are coming mulitiple times to take advantage of their one-time purchase of an AP ticket, and mostly coming when they also get discounts on their rooms.

...if Disney can fill those slots instead with people paying full price for room and tickets.... its a win-win for Disney. Fewer people, paying more money, makes the parks more enjoyable in one way because its less crowded.

But, everything I read, keeps saying that travel demand is up, and Disney is seeing record numbers of bookings.

I don't like when supply & demand work against me either. But this seems to be what's happening

Our Best Photos- Trip report scrapbook link-
http://www.panraven.com/newstoryview...storyId=161914
Jan 2009 - Royal Pacific, Sept 2008 - Poly
Oct 2007 - Yacht Club, Jan 2006 - Beach Club (Honeymoon)
Markstudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

I don't buy that. We eat out 3 meals a day, and always buy souviners. I am spending way more at their overpriced restaurants, than they would save on me paying more for the rooms, or the saving by using an AP. We almost always bring guests who also spend money (including on tickets, because I may get them a less expensive room, but they still buy tickets), But I really don't care. I'm glad I decided to go to Hawaii and other vacation spots. It's good to be out of the Disney rut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstudy
Disney will make more money if they can shift away from people that are coming mulitiple times to take advantage of their one-time purchase of an AP ticket, and mostly coming when they also get discounts on their rooms.

...if Disney can fill those slots instead with people paying full price for room and tickets.... its a win-win for Disney..

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: