Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
JustMickey
DIS Veteran

Question How much do Sonic restaurant employees make?

I was at Sonic this evening and noticed a small sign that stated "Now accepting applications for bellhop position. $3.13/hr plus tips. Inquire within." Do they really only get paid $3.13? I work in a restaurant where I get paid $2.13 an hour, but I am definitely in a position that's (almost) always tipped. I've never thought to "tip" the bellhop more than just a few cents, just so they didn't have to make change. I didn't think it was the norm to tip the bellhops, and if they were I assumed it wouldn't be on the same level as servers in restaurants. How on earth could it be fair that they only make $3.13?

My first thought was that some bellhop had printed the sign up themselves to post on all the stalls to try to get more tips. But if that's really what they make then I'm glad I don't work there!

OH BOY!

PTR
JustMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
bicker
DIS Veteran

Fairness is a matter of people being offered a job, subject to certain conditions, completely in accordance with the law, and those people accepting that job.

I think Sonic falls into the same category as Walmart, with regard to its cost structure, without all the "exporting jobs to China" baggage that we're discussing in THIS thread. Specifically, it replaces "Mom & Pop" diners and eateries, with a much more efficient (read: less expensive) option, that efficiency achieved in part through substantially lower-paying employment. Do keep in mind, though, that the workers all get at least minimum wage. If the tips don't bring them up to minimum wage, the company is required to make up the difference.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
frisco
DIS Veteran

Isn't Sonic just a fast food restaurant? Who would receive any tips?
frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

My DD18 worked at Sonic and made over $6 an hour and then got tips on top of that.

I tip the Sonic Bell hops pretty well since my DD was one of them.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I tip 20% at our new Sonic! I was so happy to see it. The young girl was so happy when I gave her the tip it really was worth every penny. Plus she was on rollerblades! gotta tip for that!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
jen0610
DIS Veteran

At our Sonic or Dog N Suds, when the car hop brings the tray out to us and collects it afterwards, we always tell them no coin with our change and then give them a 20% tip. Now, if we just use the drive thru at Sonic, no tip. But thats just us.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Carl
DIS Veteran

I like the new way to pay with credit card at Sonic. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to add a tip. I expected them to bring out a receipt with a place to add a tip, but they don't.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
clgwli
DIS Veteran

At Sonic if they bring us food we tip. If we go through drive through we don't. I don't know what they make when on the skates but they definitely are doing far more work than the guy in the drive through
clgwli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
HunnyPots
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy is giving me big hugs for being such a kind person to animals (((hug)))
Better to have white walls than hay on the walls

The kids at our Sonic make around $7 an hour. It is not considered a tipped postion.

FYI: they are car hops, not bell hops!
July 2006 Pop Century
June 2008 Indian Ridge vacation home
May 2011 Indian Ridge vacation home
HunnyPots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Justanopinion
Mouseketeer

My DS worked at Sonic. Depends on the position as to how much they are paid.

But yes, car hops get a lot of tips. And Sonic covers won't doesn't bring them up to minimum wage.

A lot of people do tip at the drive through also.

If paying with a credit card where you can't tip, a lot of people would hand them change or $1 or so.

Blinkie Maker

I am a mom, step mom, and birth mom.
I am the wife of a veteran, an ARNG mom, and a Navy Sailor's mother in law.
Justanopinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco View Post
Isn't Sonic just a fast food restaurant? Who would receive any tips?
They bring you the food out to your car. I always tip them a couple of bucks.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
~disneydiva~
DIS Veteran

I always tip at Sonic.

~disneydiva~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Beware of a sneaky tactic. I noticed many years ago at one Sonic I frequented, the drive thu employees had you to come to the window to pay, then tell you to move forward and someone else would bring the food. The one who brought the food would take your money and then ask you if you want change. Ummm.....yeah, I gave you a $20 and my food came to $12. Of course I want change and for forcing me to pull forward so you could gouge me for a tip, I will keep all of my change. My food could have been handed to me at the window. McDonald's and Hardee's doesn't expect a tip for the same drive thru service.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
ms.yt
DIS Veteran

I guess it depends on the particular Sonic franchise based on what posters are saying here. I had some of my students who worked at Sonic, and they told me they got an hourly wage that was less than minimum wage, but nowhere near as low as $3.13. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was about a dollar below minimum wage.

I know around here a lot of people are cheap and don't tip well at any restaurant, much less Sonic. The other night when they were having their free root beer float promotion, my son and I went to get floats for the whole family. On those nights, they just have car hops going around to all the stalls with trays of floats and ask you how many you want. We got 4, and I handed her $ .85 (all the spare change I could find in my car). She seemed amazed that someone actually tipped her on free float night!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
bicker
DIS Veteran

How does the price of a comparable McDonald's hamburger compare to the price of a comparable Sonic hamburger (pre-tip)?
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: