Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Polynesian Resort Review

I have decided to give The Polynesian a whole report of its own I will hopefully get around to doing another report for our park visits and other things we got up to on our trip

Firstly, let me say that this was our first time experiencing the Hawaii concierge services at The Polynesian. I was hesitant to change from the regular lagoon view rooms of Tahiti, but we wanted to experience the concierge offerings and service of our favourite resort!

We arrived at around 11am. The valet service immediately started to unload our car and we were put on an Island Guide Cart to be taken to the Hawaii longhouse.

GCH Entrance

Upon entering the Hawaii longhouse we were very warmly greeted with leis and a delicious orange-guava juice. The concierge cast members were very warm and welcoming. Our three children were also offered a sweet from the desk and check-in was very quick and smooth - it is so much nicer being in the comfortable surroundings of Hawaii rather than the hustle and noise of the GCH. We were given our welcome packet with park maps, show/parade times and lots of details, and then we visited Magic Kingdom until our room was ready. We were also given our special concierge gold keys to the world. Many CMs said they hadn't seem them before when we charged to them in shops/restaurants!

Concierge Lounge from Beach

When we returned at about 4pm, our room was ready. We requested first floor and this was granted. Our allocated room was 1504, just four rooms from the main entrance to the Hawaii longhouse and very close to the stairs up to the 2nd floor (main) area of the concierge lounge.

Room 1504

The room was sensational. We had a breathtaking view of the castle, it being positioned virtually directly in the middle of our patio - exactly in front of us. There were a few palm trees but they did not block the view of the castle. I soon realised that the view from the Hawaii rooms (of the castle) far outshine the castle views afforded from the lagoon view Tahiti longhouse rooms. The castle was so close and the music from Main Street USA (plus the fireworks from Cinderellabration) could be heard throughout the day. The room was in exceptional condition, very clean and everything appearing as new.

Room 1504 - Views

Like Ducks?!

So Beautiful...

This leads me on to one of the highlights of our stay. Mousekeeping at Hawaii were absolutely exceptional during our stay. We had the opportunity to meet some of the mousekeepers and they were very friendly and talkative. We received too many towel creations to count. Even the turndown service usually made a creation for us. Each day our room was cleaned very thoroughly and promptly (always before lunchtime). Most days they came in to clean the room the second we left. They did a truly exceptional job.

As it was our anniversary on our check-in day, we received more than a few surprises from the concierge. A beautiful card tied to balloons was delivered; hand signed in metallic ink by Mickey and Minnie. Furthermore, we received a cheery “Aloha” in the way of a white chocolate Mickey Mouse and tuxedo strawberries. DH also ordered some champagne as a surprise, which was placed in our room ready for when we returned from the Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom that evening. We also received the complimentary Polynesian Resort “chocolate postcard” and a greeting card welcoming us to the concierge level.

Everything about our stay was perfect. The concierge cast members at the Polynesian are the friendliest I have ever come across. Worthy of particular, extra special mention are Meredith and Jeffery who both went out of their way to make our stay as magical as possible. I have never experienced such exceptional service. I found the concierge cast members of the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Grand Floridian to not even be a touch on the Polynesian staffs. We received some extra special surprises on our Illuminations Cruise, all arranged by the concierge. The phone call each night, detailing the weather and extra magic hour parks, plus wishing “magical dreams” was a nice touch as well.
Grand Floridian - 2 Bedroom Suite, Royal Palm Club (x1), RPC (x1), Garden View (x1)
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Savannah Concierge (x1)
Boardwalk Inn - Concierge (x1)
Yacht Club - Water View (x1)
Hard Rock Hotel - Garden View (x1), Club Level (x1)
Portofino Bay Hotel - Bay View (x1), Deluxe (x1) Trip Report
Disneyland Hotel Paris - Regular (x1), Castle Club Park View (x2) & Tinker Bell Suite (x1)
Newport Bay Club Paris - Admiral Floor (x1)
Grand Californian - Standard (x1) Concierge (x1)
Disneyland Hotel, California - Resort View (x1) Trip Report

Last edited by Frances999; 08-17-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Frances999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Continued.....

The lounge offerings were excellent. Chef Dick was away for part of our ten night stay, but was there for some. The evening offerings were delicious, including chicken lo-mein and vegetable spring rolls (plus pineapple and caramel sauce) and a selection of vegetables and children’s options. There was also pulled barbecue pork and fresh rolls, plus delicious beef skewers and shrimp. Another evening option was grilled chicken with Caesar/ranch salad plus macaroni cheese. Breakfast was the same each day, consisting of a selection of cereals, croissants, bagels, fruit and pastries. Out of all the offering, I thought breakfast was a little disappointing. There was limited variety and in my opinion it was simply mediocre. The orange-guava juice is delicious though! I must have had almost 100 glasses over the course of our 10 night stay!!

Beach from the Concierge Lounge (2nd Floor)

Castle from the Concierge Lounge (2nd Floor)

One of Chef Dick's amazing creations!

Delicious Beef Skewers and Egg Fried Rice!

Some of the amazing desserts offered during the 8pm 10pm service

More of the amazing desserts offered during the 8pm 10pm service

The location of the Hawaii longhouse is truly unbeatable. The volcano pool is literally right next door and it is also just a short walk to the quiet pool. The boat dock and GCH are also just seconds away. We hired a car, so never used the bus transportation, however, the boat and monorail services were fast and prompt. The number of boats they had operating was excellent (previous to being at The Polynesian we were at Portofino Bay Hotel - and their boat transportation was dreadful).

Volcano Pool during lightning ~ hence, empty!

Boutiki - a super new store! It had some great Polynesian-exclusive items.

The Quiet Pool

The beach outside the room was nice, but it got extremely busy during Wishes, as people flocked down from ‘Ohana and Kona to enjoy the fireworks from the beach. We simply watched the fireworks from our patio, or went up to the lounge. In the concierge lounge they pipe in the Wishes music and dim the lights. It is a truly wonderful atmosphere and great if it is raining. One night we just grabbed some coffee and hot chocolate and relaxed in the lounge with a great view of Wishes.

The lounge was often busy, most noticeably during the evening offerings and breakfast. We occasionally just took our food and drinks back to our room and ate out on the patio. I am glad that the Polynesian allow you to take the lounge offerings back to your room, as a week before we were at the Hilton concierge level in New York and they had a strict policy about taking food or drinks out of the lounge.

Overall this was one of our best stays yet. The Polynesian concierge is truly amazing - mainly due to the hard efforts of the incredible Hawaii cast members. The concierge lounge is perfect - and it must have one of the finest views in all of WDW. Mousekeeping was the best we have ever experienced and The Polynesian is still our favourite resort. We will no doubt return back to Hawaii really soon.

If you have any questions please ask! Mahalo!

Hawaii from the Magic Kingdom boat
Grand Floridian - 2 Bedroom Suite, Royal Palm Club (x1), RPC (x1), Garden View (x1)
Disneyland Hotel Paris - Regular (x1), Castle Club Park View (x2) & Tinker Bell Suite (x1)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Lovely report. We got married at the Polynesian Resort so I have a soft spot for it
Old 08-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

It looks absolutely fabulous. Definitely something to think about for our 50th Anniversary (it will take us that long to save up probably )

I am very, very jealous - and that view was wonderful - and those towel animals were so cool - and the food looked gorgeous, you lucky things.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:17 AM   #5
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Enjoyed reading your report ~ Thanx for posting.

Lovely piccies too.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:43 AM   #6
squitty
With a little bit of Pixie Dust
Finds it hard to type with her eyes closed

What a great report. Thank you for posting and sharing it with us. Those views are amazing.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
marias
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing, it looks amazing - wondering now whether I should change from AKL - decisions decisions

marias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #8
Scottish_Maleficent
DIS Veteran

It looks amazing......those views of the castle!!! I can't believe you could hear the Main ST USA music!!!
Great report...thanks!!
Scottish_Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Bellis Belle
Mouseketeer

I think from your report I get the jist of what concierge is but could you give me some more details. Thinking about it for next year. This hotel just looks fab.
Bellis Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
carolfoy
One has Ones hat and One's orf...
and she's back with a vengeance!
looks like someones reads the crap we write then!

WOW Frances, great sales job, will Definately consider it for at least part of my stay next time
Old 08-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellis Belle
I think from your report I get the jist of what concierge is but could you give me some more details. Thinking about it for next year. This hotel just looks fab.
Sure All of the Deluxe Disney resorts offer a concierge level for an additional fee. In most resorts this means you get a room on a preferred floor, but at The Polynesian it is in the preferred building - the Hawaii longhouse (right next to the pool/beach and near to the main lobby longhouse, the Great Ceremonial House).

Concierge offers guests pre-itinerary planning. You can e-mail your concierge itinerary planning office and they can make all of your advance dining reservations and other event reservations. They can also go and buy some gifts from the parks for you and have them waiting in your room for when you arrive. In my experience, this pre trip planning has been wonderful. The concierge staff have a very high success rate and can pretty much get anything you desire, including Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast and Illuminations Cruises.

You also get automatic turndown service (upon request if not concierge) and separate check-in on the concierge floor or building. You get gold key cards too, rather than the usual blue colour, a "benefit" I suppose!! There is also a new safari trip at Animal Kingdom which has been introduced for concierge level guests only ($45 additional fee).

Basically it is a higher level of service. The concierge CMs are some of the most experienced at each resort and offer incredible customer services. The lounge offerings are fairly extensive as well and each lounge has a lovely theme. Alcohol and all drinks are complimentary, as well.

After experiencing concierge at The Polynesian, I don't think we could go anywhere else. It is incredible - in my opinion beating both the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Grand Floridian concierge services

Hope this helps explain it a little more.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
Bellis Belle
Mouseketeer

Thanks for that Frances. Daydreamig already.
Bellis Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:00 AM   #13
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Thanks for that. It is lovely seeing what it is like in one of these resorts and what a fantastic view you had, you cannot beat that.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: