The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Why are Parrotheads so passionate? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=936959)

Papa Deuce 10-16-2005 04:21 PM

Why are Parrotheads so passionate?

I like Jimmy Buffet too. I have the greatest hits CD, maybe a few others I DL'd from iTunes. But to me he is more like inoffensive rather than someone to get really excited about.

So why do you Parrotheads get so excited?

American Scrapper 10-16-2005 05:30 PM

I used to wonder the same thing until I went to a concert of his! It isn't as much him, although I LOVE him and his music, as it is the crowd. It is really hard to explain, but when you are there, regardless of the weather, it is like you are on vacation. Everyone is extremely friendly and fun. And his music is the same way. I have ready that he really doesn't understand it either, but sure does enjoy it. It is a chance to sit back, have a drink, and not have any worries! Just like vacation!!

Kathy

Poohbear123 10-16-2005 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Deuce
I like Jimmy Buffet too. I have the greatest hits CD, maybe a few others I DL'd from iTunes. But to me he is more like inoffensive rather than someone to get really excited about.

So why do you Parrotheads get so excited?

I have no idea either, as I have never seen him in Concert. :confused3

pattyT 10-16-2005 05:46 PM

I think its about the lifestyle he represents :teeth:
(I saw him twice but am embarrased enough to have to say that I don't remember much of the second show - too much tailgating - which is phenominal in itself!)

Beastlover 10-16-2005 05:47 PM

Margaritaville is a state of mind. With all the responsibilities adulthood brings, its nice to have something to take you away.

Thats how I see it.

American Scrapper 10-16-2005 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyT
(I saw him twice but am embarrased enough to have to say that I don't remember much of the second show - too much tailgating - which is phenominal in itself!)

:teeth: :teeth:

PattyT, I know how you feel!! And yes, the Tailgating is part of the whole "Party"!!

Kathy

luvmick 10-16-2005 06:05 PM

As you can see below , I'm a Parrothead.Only been to two concerts,but it truely is a feel good state of mind that is hard to explain.And those are the best thing,thoose that cannot be explained! :cool1:

gallaj0 10-16-2005 06:43 PM

Being a Parrothead is like having a mental vacation going on in your head, all the time.

Some Parrotheads can push it into the background, so they can work, go grocery shopping, etc. and function in society.

The others just burn out.

jajuan 10-16-2005 07:02 PM

You need to go to a concert. It takes you away from the city to a tropical paradise. When you are at a Buffett concert, you don't have a care in the world. I used to think like you until I was invited to my first concert in college many years ago. I have been a parrothead ever since.

SunFloridaDisney 10-16-2005 07:02 PM

Being at a Buffett concert is a time away from reality, your 2 hours (??) in Margaritaville, with a bunch of other crazy people who enjoy it just the same. It doesn't matter if it is 98 degrees in the shade, raining, cold, or whatever, when you're there, it IS summer, party time, and I guess you just have to experience it.
I've been to several concerts, we always dress up (fin hats, leis, etc.) one year it was near Memorial Day in Cincinnati, and I think it was like 50 degrees that night. I wore a winter coat over my "beach" attire! LOL :rotfl2:

I'm growing older, but not up....... :rotfl:

disneymcgraw 10-16-2005 07:03 PM

It's the margaritas !!!!!!! Jimmy is cool.

shortbun 10-16-2005 07:26 PM

Best way to explain it to ya is this. Why do football fans get so excited? I like football and I watch some games but is it really all that to get excited about? lol!
Get it now?

parrothead365 10-17-2005 08:08 AM

I think everyone has pretty much nailed it up to this point. I could add a bunch of the same sentimemts about what it means to me but my DIS name says it all. I suggest you go to a concert, get to know a few of us and find out what being a parrothead means to you(there is one inside of all of us). You will have a great time. I mean have you really lived until you see a 250lb man carrying a margarita in each hand wearing a coconut bra and a grass skirt?? :teeth:

Planogirl 10-17-2005 08:22 AM

I don't think that you even need to go to a concert to pick up on the feeling. I've always joked that in my next life I want to come back as Jimmy Buffet because everything about him and his music just feels so comfortable and fun.

vettechick99 10-17-2005 08:29 AM

You know that's like asking one of us why we like Disney.