The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Disney to Release Star Wars Original Trilogy Theatrical Release on Blu-Ray (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3318071)

Twin Dad 08-16-2014 03:28 PM

Disney to Release Star Wars Original Trilogy Theatrical Release on Blu-Ray
 
Its still in the rumor stage but I'm hoping it happens soon.

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/20...unaltered.html

Quote:

For a long time Star Wars fans have been clamoring for Disney/Lucasfilm to re-release the original, unaltered cut of the first Star Wars trilogy, and Comicbook.com has now confirmed with two independent reliable sources that just such a plan is under way.

According to our sources, Disney has plans to release the original cut of the Star Wars trilogy on Blu-ray. Our sources indicate that the project has been under way for quite some time, but itís been challenging because of some damage to the original negatives they are utilizing. The goal is to release A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of Jedi in their complete, unaltered, original form without the redone special edition SFX.

Our sources did not have an exact date as to when the original cut of the Star Wars Trilogy would be released on Blu-ray, due to the challenges Disney has encountered in pulling everything together. However, our sources indicated the goal is to have it ready and released before Star Wars Episode VII is released in theaters.

OKW Lover 08-16-2014 03:54 PM

I wonder how many more "special editions" they can release of the original trilogy. I've already bought it in 3 different incarnations. Doubt I'll buy a fourth.

tjkraz 08-16-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKW Lover (Post 52092575)
I wonder how many more "special editions" they can release of the original trilogy. I've already bought it in 3 different incarnations. Doubt I'll buy a fourth.

I'm not particularly interested either. But I know there is a very vocal group of fans who have been campaigning for years to have the original, unaltered theatrical cuts released.

I'm not enough of a cinephile to care. Be interesting to see how it sells, though.

Interesting that Disney is slowly reversing a lot of the policies on which George Lucas had dug in his heels over the years.

ninarobin 08-16-2014 09:01 PM

I'd buy it....
 
...in a heartbeat. I only have the original, unaltered versions of the original trilogy films on VHS! (Han shot first!) ;)

jcnewton 08-17-2014 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKW Lover (Post 52092575)
I wonder how many more "special editions" they can release of the original trilogy. I've already bought it in 3 different incarnations. Doubt I'll buy a fourth.

But this isn't a "Special Edition". Aside from the VHS's, I don't have any other copies of the unaltered originals, so I'm looking forward to a cleaned up version on Blu-ray.

ChrisFL 08-17-2014 08:34 AM

This will make a lot of dedicated SW fans happy, I can tell you that. Lucas absolutely refused to put the original theater versions out on anything for a long time, even though fans were asking for it.

Whatsthegoodword 08-17-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninarobin (Post 52093952)
...in a heartbeat. I only have the original, unaltered versions of the original trilogy films on VHS! (Han shot first!) ;)

YAY! Absolutely. I also only have the VHS originals. (Luke jumped!)

chicagoshannon 08-17-2014 09:33 AM

My husband will love this. All we have are the VHS copies and no VCR anymore to play them on.

GotLabradors 08-17-2014 11:09 AM

This is the first piece of news that has gotten my husband excited about Disney. Although, he is in the camp that this is a hoax because he's read Disney won't own the distribution rights to any of the previous movies until 2020 and that 20th Century Fox permanently owns the distribution rights of Episode IV. I am sure, however, that if Disney wanted to do this, they could strike some sweetheart deal with Fox.

ninarobin 08-17-2014 02:31 PM

Yay!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatsthegoodword (Post 52096114)
YAY! Absolutely. I also only have the VHS originals. (Luke jumped!)

Heck yeah he did! That's no moon, it's a space station folks! I hope this rumor is true! pixiedust:

jcnewton 08-17-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotLabradors (Post 52096666)
This is the first piece of news that has gotten my husband excited about Disney. Although, he is in the camp that this is a hoax because he's read Disney won't own the distribution rights to any of the previous movies until 2020 and that 20th Century Fox permanently owns the distribution rights of Episode IV. I am sure, however, that if Disney wanted to do this, they could strike some sweetheart deal with Fox.

This is true. And I had almost forgot about it. But there's a bunch of money to be made for both sides, so I hope some kind of deal was (or will be) made.

Twin Dad 08-20-2014 09:27 AM

I'll have to go back and find the article but it puts this whole rumor to rest. Even though Disney Owens the franchise George would have to sign off on the movies being released.

DanBoris 08-20-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninarobin (Post 52093952)
...in a heartbeat. I only have the original, unaltered versions of the original trilogy films on VHS! (Han shot first!) ;)

Actually the original VHS version isn't un-altered, there were changes between the original 35mm theatrical version of the film and what is on the VHS. There are even changes between the 35mm and 70mm theatrical versions of the film.

Twin Dad 08-20-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanBoris

Actually the original VHS version isn't un-altered, there were changes between the original 35mm theatrical version of the film and what is on the VHS. There are even changes between the 35mm and 70mm theatrical versions of the film.

Also in the 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars there is no Episode IV and A New Hope in the opening crawl that was added after Empire came out

jcnewton 08-20-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin Dad (Post 52117124)
I'll have to go back and find the article but it puts this whole rumor to rest. Even though Disney Owens the franchise George would have to sign off on the movies being released.

Yep, and I believe he said that's something he wouldn't do. Part of the reason I feel like the sale to Disney was addition by subtraction (of George).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.