The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Motion sickness (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3248335)

tigerlily02 03-12-2014 05:00 PM

Motion sickness
 
I thought I read somewhere on here (but can not find it now) that the best location to avoid motion sickness is midlevel and forward. Is this correct? My DH suffers from occasional vertigo and I want to make sure that we have chosen the most suitable room to avoid this.

PrincessShmoo 03-12-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily02 (Post 50935616)
I thought I read somewhere on here (but can not find it now) that the best location to avoid motion sickness is midlevel and forward. Is this correct? My DH suffers from occasional vertigo and I want to make sure that we have chosen the most suitable room to avoid this.

The prevailing theory on motion onboard is mid-ship and lower is best.

http://www.llgh.org/cruise-ship-tips...-sickness.html

http://www.wanderplex.com/2013/04/18...ess-sufferers/

wl1117 03-12-2014 05:44 PM

I'd ask his Dr. about getting the trans-dermal patch, just to be prepared. I get seasick and location has never made a difference for me.

safeti01 03-12-2014 07:42 PM

Used the patch on my cruise in February, no motion sickness. We were mid-ship, deck 8.

soar2014 03-12-2014 08:02 PM

I think I would wait to use the medicine. I am highly susceptible to motion sickness but on a 5 day cruise I didn't use any aids. My 5 yr old got sick on the 4th day of a 5 day cruise. We were aft,,midship.

CowboyKell 03-12-2014 11:48 PM

The best location is dependent on the sea state the ship is in.
If the ship is traveling "into" the waves the best place will be as far aft and mid to low level as the bow/front of the ship will be heaving up and down.

If the ship is in a cross sea, the waves on the side, the best place would be as low as possible as the ship will be rolling side to side. The ships do have computer controlled stabilizers to help minimize roll but they never seem to eliminate it.

If the ship is in a following sea, the waves from behind, there is no good place.

I think your best overall bet is to be low.

NCConch 03-13-2014 06:49 AM

The seas seem to be worst leaving and returning to PC. We had the early dinner and we could feel the ship moving at dinner as we crossed the Gulf Stream. The ship returns to PC in the middle of the night (very early AM), so it is not as noticeable (ZZZZ). Lower mid-ship is the best - if you plan on spending a lot of time in your cabin.

ptcbass 03-13-2014 08:10 AM

I thought I read where the first night people were getting sick eating in the MDR because it was too low on the ship? :confused3

When I spoke with the agent making reservations they told me mid to aft but didn't mention what level was best. I would guess mid (not highest and not too low). Be careful with the patches too. I have had several people tell me they would never use them again because of what it did to their eyes. Everyone is different but you never know. Take some ginger pills and lozenges and pick up some Bonine to try BEFORE your cruise to see how it affects you. Also take it a day before, the morning of and for a few days after you get back. You should be fine!

Have a great trip!! :beach:

tweis 03-13-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptcbass (Post 50939953)
I thought I read where the first night people were getting sick eating in the MDR because it was too low on the ship? :confused3

When I spoke with the agent making reservations they told me mid to aft but didn't mention what level was best. I would guess mid (not highest and not too low). Be careful with the patches too. I have had several people tell me they would never use them again because of what it did to their eyes. Everyone is different but you never know. Take some ginger pills and lozenges and pick up some Bonine to try BEFORE your cruise to see how it affects you. Also take it a day before, the morning of and for a few days after you get back. You should be fine!

Have a great trip!! :beach:

We got sick the first night of our last cruise but it had nothing to do with low level of the MDRs. It has to do with going through the Florida Straits. We and many others got very sick and all the CMs were saying it was due to the Straits and we had very rough seas. We were also very far forward which, IMO, made things worse. We did a Bahama cruise in 2012 and had an aft stateroom and had zero problems with the Straits. I'm sure that doesn't help the OP at all but I will probably never choose a forward stateroom again.

EricaG 03-13-2014 08:49 AM

I think if one is at all prone to motion sickness, bringing the scopolamine patch is a good idea.

If concerned about possible side effects, ask the doctor for a prescription that includes a couple of extra ones, then test it out well before the cruise. Though you won't be able to tell what it's doing with your motion sickness while on land, at least you can see what (if any) side effects you experience, both while wearing it and after taking it off.

I did this, noticed that my only side effect was dry mouth, and knew that this was much preferable to feeling nauseated! The patch is my friend. :)

ptcbass 03-13-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweis (Post 50940262)
We got sick the first night of our last cruise but it had nothing to do with low level of the MDRs. It has to do with going through the Florida Straits. We and many others got very sick and all the CMs were saying it was due to the Straits and we had very rough seas. We were also very far forward which, IMO, made things worse. We did a Bahama cruise in 2012 and had an aft stateroom and had zero problems with the Straits. I'm sure that doesn't help the OP at all but I will probably never choose a forward stateroom again.

Thanks! It is good to know it isn't because of the location of the MDR.
I guess it just depends on the seas and how rough it is going through the Straits. I like to think that for the most part people don't get sick. If they did no one would crusie. :eek::laughing: Here is to hoping for the best for all of us! :goodvibes

tweis 03-13-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptcbass (Post 50940355)
Thanks! It is good to know it isn't because of the location of the MDR.
I guess it just depends on the seas and how rough it is going through the Straits. I like to think that for the most part people don't get sick. If they did no one would crusie. :eek::laughing: Here is to hoping for the best for all of us! :goodvibes

I'm sure your right but I will never set foot on a cruise ship again without taking Bonine first. Lesson learned. :laughing:

tigerlily02 03-14-2014 07:42 AM

Thanks all for your thoughts on this! I was thinking of changing the location of our stateroom from an aft location on 5 to a forward location on 6, but after your suggestions I think I will keep it where it is and hope for the best. My hubby already takes meclizine for vertigo, so he knows how it will affect him, but I'll make sure to try it out before hand as well!

ohMom 03-14-2014 08:55 AM

we like Bonine -- once a day and non-drowsy

we take it before the motion sickness may strike, it's much easier and effective to prevent than recover

natmom 03-14-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricaG (Post 50940267)
I think if one is at all prone to motion sickness, bringing the scopolamine patch is a good idea.

If concerned about possible side effects, ask the doctor for a prescription that includes a couple of extra ones, then test it out well before the cruise. Though you won't be able to tell what it's doing with your motion sickness while on land, at least you can see what (if any) side effects you experience, both while wearing it and after taking it off.

I did this, noticed that my only side effect was dry mouth, and knew that this was much preferable to feeling nauseated! The patch is my friend. :)

My husband is the same, patch all the way. Dry mouth is annoying but far better than feeling sick. We tested at home prior to the trip


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.