The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Construction work on the MK Castle... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3237784)

rrali33tt 02-19-2014 08:11 AM

Construction work on the MK Castle...

A fellow future Disney bride has been advised by Disney photography that there is going to be construction on the MK castle in April/May . Because of this construction she may not be able to get this shot:

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...mkmoatshot.jpg

Does anyone know what is going on at the castle? One bride was told they are draining the moat for repairs, but for what? We were speculating that this could be some sort of FP+ holding area for a parade or for fireworks but although that seems like a good idea for crowd control, it does take a way from the beauty of the castle IMHO. (Also, I plan on paying a boatload to Disney to be able to do a bridal photoshoot inside MK --as a lot of Disney brides do--and this is a "money shot").

rteetz 02-19-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrali33tt (Post 50755216)
A fellow future Disney bride has been advised by Disney photography that there is going to be construction on the MK castle in April/May . Because of this construction she may not be able to get this shot: Does anyone know what is going on at the castle? One bride was told they are draining the moat for repairs, but for what? We were speculating that this could be some sort of FP+ holding area for a parade or for fireworks but although that seems like a good idea for crowd control, it does take a way from the beauty of the castle IMHO. (Also, I plan on paying a boatload to Disney to be able to do a bridal photoshoot inside MK --as a lot of Disney brides do--and this is a "money shot").

well they have a crane up next to the castle taking down the lights and doing some repainting. It's just a regular refurbishment I don't know for sure when it will end tho. Draining the moat would be the same thing refurbishment won't have anything to do with FP+.

Magic Fanatic 02-19-2014 09:10 AM

Just left Disney on Monday. There is in fact a very large crane parked next to the castle. So big in fact that they do not remove it during the day. From my understanding it is been in place since right after New Years. This is much larger than what is used to remove Christmas lights and much taller than what would be needed for painting. My guess is that this is a significant refurbishment of some type. The moat was full this past weekend.

disslot 02-19-2014 10:13 AM

Pretty standard for that time of year, they usually will do castle work in summer or fall. They usually set it up so at least there is one good shot.

DanBoris 02-19-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic (Post 50755655)
Just left Disney on Monday. There is in fact a very large crane parked next to the castle. So big in fact that they do not remove it during the day. From my understanding it is been in place since right after New Years. This is much larger than what is used to remove Christmas lights and much taller than what would be needed for painting. My guess is that this is a significant refurbishment of some type. The moat was full this past weekend.

That crane is there to remove the lights, it's there every year around this time.

The work the op is talking about is likely regular maintenance. I know they have drained the moat for this type of work before.

rteetz 02-19-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disslot (Post 50756219)
Pretty standard for that time of year, they usually will do castle work in summer or fall. They usually set it up so at least there is one good shot.

they never do castle work in the summer, the summer is peak time.

Magic Fanatic 02-19-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanBoris (Post 50757690)
That crane is there to remove the lights, it's there every year around this time. The work the op is talking about is likely regular maintenance. I know they have drained the moat for this type of work before.

So I guess I was hallucinating when I saw water in the moat last Friday?

2012DisneyWorldBride 02-19-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic (Post 50758603)
So I guess I was hallucinating when I saw water in the moat last Friday?

The talk from Disney wedding photography is that the moat will be drained on the 23rd for some kind of construction.

I really hope they don't get rid of the moat. We already had our wedding 12/8/12 and our MK/Epcot portraits in Feb 2013... But I completely understand other brides wanting that shot. It was my number one!

Plus every time we now pass by that spot from the bridge it reminds me of that magical morning of our shoot. :)

rteetz 02-19-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012DisneyWorldBride (Post 50760820)
The talk from Disney wedding photography is that the moat will be drained on the 23rd for some kind of construction. I really hope they don't get rid of the moat. We already had our wedding 12/8/12 and our MK/Epcot portraits in Feb 2013... But I completely understand other brides wanting that shot. It was my number one! Plus every time we now pass by that spot from the bridge it reminds me of that magical morning of our shoot. :)

it's probably routine Maintenon or something like that I don't see them getting rid of it I mean what would they do with it empty.

rrali33tt 02-20-2014 08:02 AM

There is rumor that the moat will be drained permanently on the 23rd to "make room for more guests".

I don't know what this may entail.

Despite the brial portraits, I think the moat is very pretty to look at and makes the castle more magical when you are in the park.

wiigirl 02-20-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disslot (Post 50756219)

Hmmmm.....

SMorgan711 02-20-2014 08:29 AM

yes, I was told by our photographer that they will be removing the moat completely and putting in some kind of "viewing area." She didn't elaborate but I honestly don't know what kind of viewing area it would be. I don't think it'd be a good fireworks viewing area.

Makes me sad. The moat around the castle is so pretty!

rteetz 02-20-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMorgan711 (Post 50763655)
yes, I was told by our photographer that they will be removing the moat completely and putting in some kind of "viewing area." She didn't elaborate but I honestly don't know what kind of viewing area it would be. I don't think it'd be a good fireworks viewing area. Makes me sad. The moat around the castle is so pretty!

Wow. This is the first I've heard of this. I hope the rumor is false, they have really been taking a lot away from WDW lately.

Maineiak 02-20-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rteetz (Post 50763811)
Wow. This is the first I've heard of this. I hope the rumor is false, they have really been taking a lot away from WDW lately.

If it happens, sounds like a good time for a "Save the Moat!" petition... ;)

rrali33tt 02-20-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineiak (Post 50764339)
If it happens, sounds like a good time for a "Save the Moat!" petition... ;)

There should be a save the moat movement. A quick google search and I saw these horrible photos:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...oto-update.htm

I really hope they don't drain all this water...it will take a way from the beauty of the park , especially since according to this post all of those waterways are linked.

Build on top of a building on main street and add a dang viewing area. Don't take away from the castle.