The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Formal & Semi Formal Nights (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3232215)

RGLakatos 02-06-2014 10:56 AM

Formal & Semi Formal Nights

Hello Everyone!!!

I have a really stupid question....

There are formal and semi-formal nights on our cruise in June. Although I am a psychologist I really do not "dress up" when I see patients so I am not going to desire to dress formally on a cruise where I am suppose to be relaxing.

Is a nice dress shirt and pants (formal or suit pants) acceptable for formal and/or semi formal nights or is someone going to say something to me about it or worse not allow me in the dining areas at night?

I really do not like the pretentious nature of formal wear.....thanks for everyone helping me in this silly question.

Sir William 02-06-2014 11:23 AM

If you do a quick search you'll find lots and lots and lots of discussion on what to wear or not wear for the formal and semi-formal nights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGLakatos (Post 50657020)
Is a nice dress shirt and pants (formal or suit pants) acceptable for formal and/or semi formal nights ...

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGLakatos (Post 50657020)
...or is someone going to say something to me about it or worse not allow me in the dining areas at night?

No.

Disney's official recommendation is:
Though optional, we recommend: Dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women
As you can see, you don't have to get too fancy or formal, and even a jacket is optional, as is a tie. However, since many people will be going all out, its respectful to at least dress nice for the evening. What you describe should be fine.

GW45 02-06-2014 12:10 PM

Sounds perfect- you may well have people at the table on your right in evening gowns and tuxedos while the people on your left could be in shorts and casual tops.....anything goes.....and even if it doesn't I've never seen any servers or head servers enforce any dress code rules.

We tend to be somewhere in the middle- not a gown or tux but a dress and my husband wears dress pants and a shirt and tie, with the kids in smarter clothes than the other nights but not uncomfortably so.

robhawk 02-06-2014 12:12 PM

You will be just fine!

Tinknalli 02-06-2014 12:16 PM

Formal and informal nights are optional. It's fun for a lot of people and some find it a pain. Be aware that on these nights the photographers are set up to do family portraits and it is a nice chance to get a pic of the family all dressed up.

RGLakatos 02-06-2014 01:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.

I will probably just wear a nice dress shirt and dress pants with no tie....I don't dress up in my practice with patients so I'm not going to dress up on vacation.

Thanks again!!

TwinPrincessMermaids 02-06-2014 02:59 PM

I get what you mean, but it's kinda funny. When I worked in a clinic, I wore scrubs. Even though I'm in a marketing office and like to dress nice, never ever would I consider any work environment "formal". Which I why we ACTUALLY PREFER TO DRESS UP! In the Disney cruise case, my 'formals' will be knee length, but still dressy and fun. But with a bigger group, all of us will be pretty schnazzy, so it's fine. I think if you wear pants, most people will be happy, but even if you didn't, it wouldn't matter.

But for me? I don't dress formal for work. That's why I LIKE to dress up and have a 'night out on the ship'...

:thumbsup2