The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   At what point do the fares start to go up? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3229063)

grammie12 01-29-2014 10:54 PM

At what point do the fares start to go up?
 
I know the cruise fares are lowest on opening day, and then it seems I read they tend to go up shortly thereafter, but then is there a certain point they start increasing again? I want to book for April of 2015, but can't until after we get out tax money this April. ;-) So I guess I really wonder if the prices will rise in the next 2 1/2 months, or if I should hope they'll be the same when it comes time to book? TIA!

PrincessShmoo 01-29-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammie12 (Post 50601858)
I know the cruise fares are lowest on opening day, and then it seems I read they tend to go up shortly thereafter, but then is there a certain point they start increasing again? I want to book for April of 2015, but can't until after we get out tax money this April. ;-) So I guess I really wonder if the prices will rise in the next 2 1/2 months, or if I should hope they'll be the same when it comes time to book? TIA!

Prices increase as the space fills. Some price increases are quite dramatic and often. Others take months.

ckelly14 01-30-2014 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammie12 (Post 50601858)
I know the cruise fares are lowest on opening day, and then it seems I read they tend to go up shortly thereafter, but then is there a certain point they start increasing again? I want to book for April of 2015, but can't until after we get out tax money this April. ;-) So I guess I really wonder if the prices will rise in the next 2 1/2 months, or if I should hope they'll be the same when it comes time to book? TIA!

I strongly recommend Cruisefish. If you go to the home page, click "finder" in the top right, then click "Disney Cruise Line" on the top left, you can then choose the exact ship/cruise/date you wish to follow. It will have the current prices for all categories on the right. Click the price on the category you are interested in and it will show you all the price changes since inception.

A quick glance shows that all the 7 day Fantasy cruises for April 2015 have already increased by $50-100 since November. Red= bad!

Parkerpirates 01-30-2014 07:14 AM

If you don't mind credit cards, one option is the Disney Rewards card. You get 0% interest for 6 months on any disney vacation. You could put your deposit on the card and slowly pay it off and then when you get your tax return pay off the balance or put it on your card by your PIF date and take another 6 months no interest on that payment. Plus right now they are offering $100-$200 statement credit (with $500 in purchases made on the card) and $50 in inboard credit. ;)

Some people don't do credit cards, but it's an idea.

Mousemommy1 01-30-2014 07:16 AM

I have an April 2015 Cruise booked (that I'm wanting to switch to summer) and I have noticed that it has gone up about $350 since I first booked on opening day.

su_A_ve 01-30-2014 09:23 AM

Book now for the lowest category you can. This will result in the smallest deposit possible (20%)

Once you have he additional funds, you can change the category. You will retain your original booking rates instead of paying the potentially higher prevailing rates.

You do risk to not get the exact stateroom you want, but if you would wait anyway, this would be the best option if you can.

You can even book just two people (one would result in twice the charge anyway). The additional ones could be added later but would be based on prevailing rates.

The Disney visa gives you zero percent interest for 6 months on the deposit (as long as it's more than $100). It will also give you 1% back in reward points - you could get the Disney Visa premier that has a $50 annual fee, but gives you 2% back in reward points on Disney vacations (as well as restaurants and gas) - A cruise will typically pay for the fee with the additional points right away. The full payment will also qualify for the 6 months. You can then pre pay your tips which ALSO qualify for the 6 months. Stateroom charges will not qualify however.

ahain 01-30-2014 09:39 AM

FWIW....I booked our April 6, 2015 4 night Bahamas Cruise on the Dream on opening day. Category 5E, 4A, 4C, and the price is still the same today.

Parkerpirates 01-30-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by su_A_ve (Post 50603791)
Book now for the lowest category you can. This will result in the smallest deposit possible (20%) Once you have he additional funds, you can change the category. You will retain your original booking rates instead of paying the potentially higher prevailing rates. You do risk to not get the exact stateroom you want, but if you would wait anyway, this would be the best option if you can. You can even book just two people (one would result in twice the charge anyway). The additional ones could be added later but would be based on prevailing rates. The Disney visa gives you zero percent interest for 6 months on the deposit (as long as it's more than $100). It will also give you 1% back in reward points - you could get the Disney Visa premier that has a $50 annual fee, but gives you 2% back in reward points on Disney vacations (as well as restaurants and gas) - A cruise will typically pay for the fee with the additional points right away. The full payment will also qualify for the 6 months. You can then pre pay your tips which ALSO qualify for the 6 months. Stateroom charges will not qualify however.

Have you done this? Booked with cheapest room and then switched and still were able to keep the lowest rates you booked at, even for a more expensive, nicer cabin(I know you'll pay more for a different cabin but you still get the rate for the more expensive room if you would've initially booked it?)That may be a great plan when the new sail dates are announced.

grammie12 01-30-2014 08:28 PM

First, thanks for all the replies! My DH is totally against credit cards so that's out of the question :-( But I am totally confused about booking now in a lower category then retaining those rates when I actually book what I want? Bear with me...I'm a grandmother...it takes me longer to figure things out! Haha! Here's what I actually want to book: April 25, 2015, three cat 4A rooms together, total of 6A & 5C. Right now it's showing the fare is $16, 041.95 with a deposit of $3022.60. So what are y'all saying to book, do, and how much are we looking at?

mickeynut1 01-30-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 50601876)
Prices increase as the space fills. Some price increases are quite dramatic and often. Others take months.

This. It depends on the cruise and how quickly the ship is selling out. If a cruise is booking up quickly, the cost will increase and keep going up as the ship sells. If bookings are slow, it could take awhile for prices to increase.

ksucats 01-31-2014 08:39 AM

I know this won't help you for this year, but if you typically use the IRS as a savings account, why not start doing this for yourself. Then you don't have to wait for a refund. Adjust your tax withholding so that your tax refund/amount due is as close to $0 as you can estimate. Then take the additional pay $ and put directly into a Vacation Savings account. Then you have access to the money when you need it (and can earn a tiny bit of interest on it) instead of letting the government sit on the money for you.

lanejudy 01-31-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkerpirates (Post 50605036)
Have you done this? Booked with cheapest room and then switched and still were able to keep the lowest rates you booked at, even for a more expensive, nicer cabin(I know you'll pay more for a different cabin but you still get the rate for the more expensive room if you would've initially booked it?)That may be a great plan when the new sail dates are announced.

You don't actually get the higher category stateroom for the same price, but by booking now you'll lock in the pricing tier from today. That means once you change to a higher category -- maybe 2 months, maybe 6 months from now -- you'll have today's price FOR THAT CATEGORY rather than the prevailing rate at the time you change categories.

One catch would be for very popular cruises whether or not there will be staterooms in your preferred category at the time you are ready to change. There's no guarantee of stateroom availability of a higher category at a later date. So you do run the risk of not getting exactly what you wanted if you book low with intent to change it.

April 2015 cruises around Easter time are likely to be popular. If it's not around Easter, probably less so. But booking now with a lower category is an option for OP to keep costs down while waiting for their tax refund -- which presumably will come in the next 2-3 months. Good luck!

grammie12 01-31-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksucats (Post 50610794)
I know this won't help you for this year, but if you typically use the IRS as a savings account, why not start doing this for yourself. Then you don't have to wait for a refund. Adjust your tax withholding so that your tax refund/amount due is as close to $0 as you can estimate. Then take the additional pay $ and put directly into a Vacation Savings account. Then you have access to the money when you need it (and can earn a tiny bit of interest on it) instead of letting the government sit on the money for you.

Thanks for that advice! :-) But actually it's not a tax refund I'm waiting on. My husband is part owner of a company and he gets a sum of money in proportion to their profits to cover the tax on their profits and it's always greater than the tax amount itself. Does that make sense? But he won't get it until the company files which will be April 15th.

grammie12 01-31-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanejudy (Post 50610865)
You don't actually get the higher category stateroom for the same price, but by booking now you'll lock in the pricing tier from today. That means once you change to a higher category -- maybe 2 months, maybe 6 months from now -- you'll have today's price FOR THAT CATEGORY rather than the prevailing rate at the time you change categories. One catch would be for very popular cruises whether or not there will be staterooms in your preferred category at the time you are ready to change. There's no guarantee of stateroom availability of a higher category at a later date. So you do run the risk of not getting exactly what you wanted if you book low with intent to change it. April 2015 cruises around Easter time are likely to be popular. If it's not around Easter, probably less so. But booking now with a lower category is an option for OP to keep costs down while waiting for their tax refund -- which presumably will come in the next 2-3 months. Good luck!

So it essentially locks in today's rate no matter when I change categories or what category I change to?? That's awesome!! I had no idea!! Seems like everyone would book a dummy cruise on opening day, then! Is that why, when I checked cruisefish, the two lowest categories were gone already?

lanejudy 01-31-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammie12 (Post 50611465)
So it essentially locks in today's rate no matter when I change categories or what category I change to?? That's awesome!! I had no idea!! Seems like everyone would book a dummy cruise on opening day, then! Is that why, when I checked cruisefish, the two lowest categories were gone already?

Todays' rate is different for each category. But if you book an 11C now, you can change to a 4A (or whatever you wish) in April or May and get what the 4A is listed at today. So you'll have to pay more than the "original" fare of the 11C booked, but it probably won't be at high as what the 4A costs in May. There is possibility the desired category will not be available in May, but there should be something acceptable and it gets you today's lower rates.

This is different than booking a dummy cruise. Fares are specific to each cruise date -- so if you change DATES, you would change fares to what they are on the date you make the change.

Good luck!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.