The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Would you go to a Villains Dining experience? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3228050)

mom2pixies 01-27-2014 07:08 PM

Would you go to a Villains Dining experience?
 
I was trolling this forum looking for news about some new dining experiences, as I thought I saw something online about a Disney Fairies character dining experience (which I'm guessing would be too good to be true!), but I haven't seen anything. This led me to think about other dining experiences and whether or not they would be successful. How many folks would be interested in attending a villains dining reservation? I can see this one being very successful--especially if it was set in a dark and dangerous restaurant--a dark castle, a dungeon, a cave beneath a mountain or perhaps even something sinister like the Haunted Mansion. Or how about Star Wars or Marvel character dining?

mom2pixies 01-27-2014 07:19 PM

Then again, can Disney even have Marvel characters in the parks, like they do on the cruise line?

jenwillis212 01-27-2014 07:30 PM

What I wouldn't give to do a Villains dining experience. I think that is a fabulous idea. I was really disappointed when we were in Disney a couple of years ago and went to the villains shop. They really didn't have a whole lot, especially in the clothing department. Don't know if that has changed. My favorite is Maleficient!!!

ginamarie716 01-27-2014 07:39 PM

I am all for this idea!

Peanut Giggleface 01-27-2014 07:40 PM

Nope, you couldn't pay me to go to such a dining experience.

One of the reasons I like Disney is it's a happy place. I get that villains are a necessary evil (pun intended) to a good storyline, but in my opinion, that's where they should stay. There's plenty of villains on the news every night, so when I step into a Disney park, I'm happy to see happy, smiling faces on their characters. I want that temporary break from all the villainy, a time to pretend that everything is right in the world and that good prevails over evil. I don't want to celebrate the villains.

Twin Dad 01-27-2014 08:03 PM

I'd be all for it.

Eoghann 01-27-2014 08:09 PM

By all accounts that Villains night thing they did was a huge success so I imagine similarly themed dining would be a hit too. They might want to keep it as a special rather than all the time mind you.

For some reason I find the prices for themed dining easier to handle than the regular food prices at Disney. Yes they are expensive, but at least with then I can point to something distinctive I'm getting that I wouldn't be getting elsewhere.

Unfortunately as far as Marvel is concerned the characters cannot appear in the parks at WDW so long as Universal has that license. No themed dining for them.

dalayney 01-27-2014 10:49 PM

Let's go bigger!

Actually.... (and I have put a lot of thought into this... ha ha) if they ever open a 5th park to Disneyworld? It should be an "all villain" park with the main focus being "thrill rides/roller coasters" . Take the top 4 disney villians of all time (that could be a whole other thread, lol) ... and make them into some awesome wicked roller coasters. Oh yes! Make another 4 more calmer rides for the whole family. Have 2 different sit down table service restaurants, 3 or 4 different counter service ones. Throw in a kick butt broadway style show, 2 meet and greets, some interactive $50 ticket/per child hour long "how to be an evil villain" party.... throw in at least 3 large souvy/trinket shops... and booya. Success and $$$ and happy Disney lovers that can get their thrills right on property w/out having to go over to Islands of Adventure. I think if it was themed right, it would be such fun and the teens/adults would eat this up. ::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::

JasNicMadAl 01-27-2014 11:52 PM

What's stopping them from doing a Marvel Character Dining at one of the resorts similar to how they did the monorail advertising?

I would so go to a Villians dining experience as well as a Star Wars one, Indy Jones, Toy Story, Pirates of Carribean, etc. My 'princesses' have moved onto be teenager & we normally only do Tusker House breakfast.

super mike b 01-27-2014 11:59 PM

We would do this in a heartbeat! We did the "Room For One More" event a few years back and had a great time. :maleficen

Tardisblue 01-28-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenwillis212 (Post 50583621)
What I wouldn't give to do a Villains dining experience. I think that is a fabulous idea. I was really disappointed when we were in Disney a couple of years ago and went to the villains shop. They really didn't have a whole lot, especially in the clothing department. Don't know if that has changed. My favorite is Maleficient!!!

The Villains shop at DHS is a joke. Usually filled with just Jack Skellington gear, who is a great character but come on! Maleficent? Ursula? Dr. Facilier? Jafar? There are plenty more and it would sell like crazy.

As to the original question, yes -I think it would be a unique experience.

Napria 01-28-2014 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut Giggleface (Post 50583699)
Nope, you couldn't pay me to go to such a dining experience.

One of the reasons I like Disney is it's a happy place. I get that villains are a necessary evil (pun intended) to a good storyline, but in my opinion, that's where they should stay. There's plenty of villains on the news every night, so when I step into a Disney park, I'm happy to see happy, smiling faces on their characters. I want that temporary break from all the villainy, a time to pretend that everything is right in the world and that good prevails over evil. I don't want to celebrate the villains.

You said it better than I could. I feel exactly the same way.

BigBlueWho 01-28-2014 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalayney
Let's go bigger!

Actually.... (and I have put a lot of thought into this... ha ha) if they ever open a 5th park to Disneyworld? It should be an "all villain" park with the main focus being "thrill rides/roller coasters" . Take the top 4 disney villians of all time (that could be a whole other thread, lol) ... and make them into some awesome wicked roller coasters. Oh yes! Make another 4 more calmer rides for the whole family. Have 2 different sit down table service restaurants, 3 or 4 different counter service ones. Throw in a kick butt broadway style show, 2 meet and greets, some interactive $50 ticket/per child hour long "how to be an evil villain" party.... throw in at least 3 large souvy/trinket shops... and booya. Success and $$$ and happy Disney lovers that can get their thrills right on property w/out having to go over to Islands of Adventure. I think if it was themed right, it would be such fun and the teens/adults would eat this up. ::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::

Lol you just gave them their next idea! ...coming in 2018!

Lolsmum 01-28-2014 05:23 AM

We'd definitely do a villains meal.

And if they could manage a Marvel meal in one of the resorts that would be so awesome.

Eoghann 01-28-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasNicMadAl (Post 50585053)
What's stopping them from doing a Marvel Character Dining at one of the resorts similar to how they did the monorail advertising?

I think it's a very very fine line that Disney has to walk when it comes to Marvel and WDW. Comcast has as many lawyers as Disney does and that master licensing agreement supposedly says something like:

Only Universal had the rights to use these Marvel characters in a theme park setting within a 250 mile radius of Universal's Islands of Adventure.

So how do you define a "theme park setting"? From what I have seen reported even that monorail wrap required negotiating with Universal. A dining experience or actually having the characters would be much more direct competition with Universal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.