The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Changes to the way internet is billed on board (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3227824)

Goofy559 01-27-2014 11:13 AM

Changes to the way internet is billed on board

Hi - did a search and didn't see this - apologies if I missed it. Just received the following info from my TA at DU:

Hi Everyone,

Disney Cruise Line has announced they will be changing the way they charge for Internet usage on the ships. Instead of charging by the minute, they are not charging by the megabyte. Here is the new fee structure:

· Pay as you go $.0.25 per MB
· Small 100 MB for $19.00, 19 cents per MB
· Medium 300 MB for $39.00, 13 cents per MB
· Large 1,000 MB for $80.00, 9 cents per MB.

Concierge guests in Cat S, T, V will get 100 free MB of free internet. If the guests goes over then the pricing above will apply.

Concierge guests in Cat R will get free internet for the length of the cruise.

These changes will be rolled out over the next month. Here is the schedule:

Disney Magic- 2/3
Disney Dream- 2/16
Disney Wonder- 2/26
Disney Fantasy- 3/8.

HTH - Lisa

acourtwdw2 01-27-2014 11:34 AM

How much data or time is that? I use the Internet on the ship to check into my classes and either download or upload that weeks homework. Which package would be best fi

Dug720 01-27-2014 11:38 AM

Maybe I'm weird (or stupid), but minutes made a lot more sense to me.

Ravenne 01-27-2014 11:39 AM

Using DCL's onboard app doesn't incur Internet usage charges, does it? Can you still use the app with the phone in Airplane mode as to not incur Internet and data charges?

Prose 01-27-2014 11:43 AM

In a way I understand this - if you are just checking email, you are not using a lot of download data but the slow internet speeds meant in the past that you paid for many minutes. I think they are trying to make sure that people who Skype, Facetime, etc. and use a lot of the data bandwidth are paying more than those who just want to download a single file or check email, no matter how long it takes. You are paying for bandwidth used, not butt-in-seat time.

erionm 01-27-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenne (Post 50580105)
Using DCL's onboard app doesn't incur Internet usage charges, does it? Can you still use the app with the phone in Airplane mode as to not incur Internet and data charges?

From the DCL Navigator app description:
Quote:

To use Disney Cruise Line Navigator, download the app, and once on board, connect to the ship’s WiFi network—complimentary to app users only—and enjoy your cruise!
The connect instructions also state to place the phone into airplane mode.

AliceIn 01-27-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acourtwdw2 (Post 50580040)
How much data or time is that? I use the Internet on the ship to check into my classes and either download or upload that weeks homework. Which package would be best fi

You can calculate data usage here:

http://www.calculatorweb.com/calcula...sagecalc.shtml

At the bottom of the page you can see what a weekly estimate would be.

wiigirl 01-27-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceIn (Post 50580200)

Thanks.

dvldawg411 01-27-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prose (Post 50580151)
In a way I understand this - if you are just checking email, you are not using a lot of download data but the slow internet speeds meant in the past that you paid for many minutes. I think they are trying to make sure that people who Skype, Facetime, etc. and use a lot of the data bandwidth are paying more than those who just want to download a single file or check email, no matter how long it takes. You are paying for bandwidth used, not butt-in-seat time.

This is a really helpful explanation. Thanks! :thumbsup2

sippican 01-27-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceIn (Post 50580200)

Thank you.
Now that's something I can understand!

DL1957 01-27-2014 12:17 PM

If I am understanding this correctly this is better when the connection is running slow. Many times it can take serveral minutes to bring up something which takes up the time you are charged for and the new way is charging you for what you are viewing.

JohnDS 01-27-2014 12:23 PM

still expensive but makes a lot more sense than the by the minute plan.

Maddysdaddy 01-27-2014 12:29 PM

Edited to add: (Apologies - I had typed this and went into a meeting before sending - I see that I'm simply repeating what another poster mentioned above)
================================================== =================

Aside from being yet another moneymaker for DCL, I assume this likely relates to those users who were using significant amounts of bandwidth for such activities as Skype and other social media.

I have a feeling that most people have absolutely no idea how much data their internet activities use up, so there could be a few nasty surprises when parents spend $80 purchasing a Gb of data for their kids and find out that they've used it all up in the first 24 hours of being on the ship.

thdarragh 01-27-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofy559
Hi - did a search and didn't see this - apologies if I missed it. Just received the following info from my TA at DU:

Hi Everyone,

Disney Cruise Line has announced they will be changing the way they charge for Internet usage on the ships. Instead of charging by the minute, they are not charging by the megabyte. Here is the new fee structure:

· Pay as you go $.0.25 per MB
· Small 100 MB for $19.00, 19 cents per MB
· Medium 300 MB for $39.00, 13 cents per MB
· Large 1,000 MB for $80.00, 9 cents per MB.

Concierge guests in Cat S, T, V will get 100 free MB of free internet. If the guests goes over then the pricing above will apply.

Concierge guests in Cat R will get free internet for the length of the cruise.

These changes will be rolled out over the next month. Here is the schedule:

Disney Magic- 2/3
Disney Dream- 2/16
Disney Wonder- 2/26
Disney Fantasy- 3/8.

HTH - Lisa

Sounds good. This is the way the industry does it and the price is very reasonable. 100 mb should last a week unless you are loading lots of graphics/music/ pics etc

Shazzie B 01-27-2014 01:26 PM

Makes checking in with the kids much more reasonable, our 1st holiday leaving them at home, they''ll be 21 & 19 and we have family within a couple of miles but it'll make keeping in touch cheaper, not worried about downloading stuff, just e-mail exchange :goodvibes