The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   First timer Castaway Key Question (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3211712)

supraman85 12-22-2013 12:10 PM

First timer Castaway Key Question

Taking a four day Bahama cruise on the Magic. Many questions to come but the first one is what does the excursion to Castaway Key entail? What time can you leave the ship? Is it all day? Are there any extras we need to reserve? Can we bring our own masks and snorkels? Is there a BBQ? Does it cost extra? Thanks for any info.

PrincessShmoo 12-22-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supraman85 (Post 50308909)
Taking a four day Bahama cruise on the Magic. Many questions to come but the first one is what does the excursion to Castaway Key entail? What time can you leave the ship? Is it all day? Are there any extras we need to reserve? Can we bring our own masks and snorkels? Is there a BBQ? Does it cost extra? Thanks for any info.

There isn't really an excursion "to" CC. The ship docks and you may disembark and partake of any of the activities that are available on the island - snorkeling, bike rides, etc (you can look up what there will be available on the DCL site). These activities will have a fee.

You may disembark as soon as the ship is cleared for disembarkation. Yeah, I know not real clear, but it depends on how quickly the ship can get into the dock and tie off. Generally it's around 9:00 or so.

You may come and go from the ship as you wish until the all aboard (generally around 3:00-4:00.

You may bring your own masks and snorkels, however you must wear the vest that DCL provides while snorkeling.

Cookies & Cookies Two is a BBQ lunch location. Included in the cruisefare (basically an extension of the ship).

Everything (except for stamps at the Post Office) can be charged to your onboard account via your KTTW card while on the island.

kapoof 12-22-2013 12:21 PM

Cast away cay doesn't cost anything to go onto the island, nor does the excellent BBQ lunch. Extra cost would be; cabanas, sea bikes, and snorkel gear. Our experience is we got off the shop at 8:30 and sat at the beach front for .5 a day had lunch and visited the gift shoppes then boarded the ship. We didn't rent and sea things, had just enjoyed the beach and had a wonderful time. There is a big water slide called pelican plunge that kept our son busy, and that's is free to enjoy:goodvibes

TheLanes 12-22-2013 12:24 PM

You make it sound as if the activities are free. I think a lot of them have a charge associated, much like an excursion. Bikes aren't free for example. If you bring your own snorkel gear, snorkeling is free. Most food is free.

PrincessShmoo 12-22-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLanes (Post 50308975)
You make it sound as if the activities are free. I think a lot of them have a charge associated, much like an excursion. Bikes aren't free for example. If you bring your own snorkel gear, snorkeling is free. Most food is free.

Yeah, it did kinda sound like that. Thanks, I went back an edited my post. :goodvibes

WikiWiki 12-22-2013 06:54 PM

One thing I didn't know until I found out by accident- the serenity bay lunch is way better than the cookies locations. There is steak, delicious steak, and one time they had grilled lobster! If you can swing lunch over there, I highly recommend it!

Jessica Sloan 12-22-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WikiWiki
One thing I didn't know until I found out by accident- the serenity bay lunch is way better than the cookies locations. There is steak, delicious steak, and one time they had grilled lobster! If you can swing lunch over there, I highly recommend it!

Is this adults only?

CurtisB 12-22-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica Sloan (Post 50311277)
Is this adults only?

Yes, 18 and over.

omalley1118 12-22-2013 09:18 PM

One of our favorite things to do is renting bikes. The price Is $6 per hour, and we rode all over the island. You see so much of the island this way, and its good exercise!!

lbgraves 12-22-2013 09:27 PM

We do look at Castaway Cay as a "free" day. I don't know where they charge for any food and there is a lot to do without a charge. My family has only paid for maybe three activities over the course of our 10 stops there. It's the only beach I look forward to going to!