The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Stuck on what to give family for Christmas... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3205503)

MomRN 12-02-2013 06:34 PM

Stuck on what to give family for Christmas...

Stuck, stuck, stuck.

I've been looking on-line stores, keeping an eye on slickdeals, window shopping... and I am at a loss on what to get a few people on my list. In previous years I'd run across a good idea, or get a gift card, but even know I'm doubting what to get gift cards for.

So, I come here for advice. Maybe someone else has seen the perfect gift or has suggestions.

Dad- budget about $50. Pool player, racing fan, Packers fan. Has a small place and isn't one much for "stuff." Things I have gotten for him before include a zippo lighter (smoker), Packers chair, and restaurant gift cards.

Dads girlfriend- budget about $25. All I really know about her is she is a Jimmie Johnson fan and also plays pool. Have gotten her a wristlet and zippo (also a smoker) in the past.

MIL- budget about $50. Recently divorced, takes care of her mom at home. Has about everything she needs, but lots of stuff could be updated. For her I'm thinking along the lines of a large family photo frame, Rubbermaid food storage containers (she tends to use old butter bowls), and/or kitchen utensils (never has enough large spoons at Thanksgiving/Christmas. Not sure that's what I want to do though.... I've done the photo frame thing before (several years ago), restaurant gift card, a new hand mixer)

I need the power of the dis to brain storm. All I get from my husband is :confused3

McKelly 12-02-2013 07:04 PM

When you say they play pool, do you mean at a tavern in a league or at home. If he has a pool table at home, how about a Green Bay Packer pool stick, triangle rack thing, or cue ball? All of them are on Amazon.

lauradis 12-02-2013 07:10 PM

Dad and girlfriend I would get them specialty pool stuff they have to have matching pool gloves or high end pool chalk dust cubes.

Mil depends on how close or how much you like her you could take her to lunch and shopping to spend the bed bath n beyond gift card. To buy newer kitchen stuff. Lots of people reuse butter tubs so when it gets yucky or broken they don't feel bad for throwing it away.

MomRN 12-02-2013 07:38 PM

Plays pool (or billiards... which we don't call around here but I realized brings up a lot more options when trying to google ideas) on a tavern league. Not sure of the weights of cue either of them uses, and I don't think my dad uses gloves. I've seen him play a few times and don't remember them.

MIL- we are pretty close, but don't have a Bed, Bath, Beyond around here. Also she is limited on her time out of house since she takes care of mom. Many times I bring over breakfast or lunch from carryout since she just can't take the time away. Funny story- last year my BIL was taking home a bowl of noodles and accidentally brought home the actual butter... lol, but I also use old butter bowls for leftovers.

Handbag Lady 12-02-2013 09:15 PM

I've been toying with the idea of buying a single gift for each person on my list this year.

I just haven't come across the right gift but some of the contenders are:

Pajamas. Like the really nice ones from Land's End or LLBean, and maybe having them personalized and I'd pick styles and colors to fit each recipient.

A nice, plush robe in the color/style of the recipient's preferred color.

Down vests. We really don't use heavy coats here, but this would be nice as most of my family live near the beach and this would be nice to have for cooler evenings.

The thing is this, for the people I am buying for this year, they pretty much ALL are spoiled rotten and are not in need or want of anything.

I figure that you do replace PJs often enough, and most people have a favorite raggy robe but then need a nice one for when they travel, visit others, or have guests in their homes.

sunshine1178 12-02-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomRN (Post 50194278)
Stuck, stuck, stuck.

I've been looking on-line stores, keeping an eye on slickdeals, window shopping... and I am at a loss on what to get a few people on my list. In previous years I'd run across a good idea, or get a gift card, but even know I'm doubting what to get gift cards for.

So, I come here for advice. Maybe someone else has seen the perfect gift or has suggestions.

Dad- budget about $50. Pool player, racing fan, Packers fan. Has a small place and isn't one much for "stuff." Things I have gotten for him before include a zippo lighter (smoker), Packers chair, and restaurant gift cards.

Dads girlfriend- budget about $25. All I really know about her is she is a Jimmie Johnson fan and also plays pool. Have gotten her a wristlet and zippo (also a smoker) in the past.

MIL- budget about $50. Recently divorced, takes care of her mom at home. Has about everything she needs, but lots of stuff could be updated. For her I'm thinking along the lines of a large family photo frame, Rubbermaid food storage containers (she tends to use old butter bowls), and/or kitchen utensils (never has enough large spoons at Thanksgiving/Christmas. Not sure that's what I want to do though.... I've done the photo frame thing before (several years ago), restaurant gift card, a new hand mixer)

I need the power of the dis to brain storm. All I get from my husband is :confused3

It sounds like your MIL doesn't get out much. How about a Netflix subscription? https://support.netflix.com/en/node/410 Or a Kindle to cut down library trips? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HCCNJU/ref=fs_sz

For your dad and his girlfriend, maybe movie passes? Costco has a good price on AMC passes. Do they like to go to listen to bands? Maybe a local bar could give you a gift certificate for cover charges and/or a drink.

Janepod 12-02-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Stuck, stuck, stuck.

Dad: Packers fleece
Dad's girlfriend: nice ashtray and a nice set of playing cards
MIL: set of Pyrex dishes with lids in different sizes. Can be used for food storage, for serving, and can go in the microwave.

The Mystery Machine 12-03-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Stuck, stuck, stuck.

I would go with the flatware for MIL. I have been looking myself.

Since they are NASCAR fans, I would go with that theme. Jimmie Johnson WON Nascar this season so that is an easy one.

Get her a "Jimmie Johnson" T Shirt that portrays him as the winner. :thumbsup2

You did not say what your dad is into however buying him a T Shirt in honor of the GF fan win is not a bad idea.

Here are the "Victory T Shirts". Link stinks, you have to highlight and go to it. Go on Nascar superstore if it does not work.

http://store.nascar.com/Jimmie_Johnson_Gift_Guide/pricerange2/$20_to_$40

HM 12-03-2013 11:34 AM

Gift Basket of food items? Try 'A Southern Season' store online for some ideas.

usnuzuloose 12-03-2013 12:38 PM

Do they own a pool table? If so how about a new lamp shade over the table?

If they play pool in one place do they have gift cards to pay for some of the games?

MIL , you could combine some kitchen stuff in a nice basket.

wiigirl 12-03-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine1178 (Post 50195220)
It sounds like your MIL doesn't get out much. How about a Netflix subscription? https://support.netflix.com/en/node/410 Or a Kindle to cut down library trips? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HCCNJU/ref=fs_sz

For your dad and his girlfriend, maybe movie passes? Costco has a good price on AMC passes. Do they like to go to listen to bands? Maybe a local bar could give you a gift certificate for cover charges and/or a drink.

:thumbsup2