The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Epcot - Coral Reef or Teppen Edo (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3188089)

vanreg 10-18-2013 09:36 PM

Epcot - Coral Reef or Teppen Edo

Which would you pick? Coral Reef or Teppen Edo. We usually go to Le Cellier when we're at Epcot, but I don't think it's worth 2 dining credits.

TheRustyScupper 10-18-2013 09:39 PM

Our Ratings of Coral Reef: (Rev 7/10/2013)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The Coral Reef is a nice respite from normal dining, as is the wall which is the
aquarium. One sees fish and sees divers tending to the fish and tank. Best views are
from the second seating level, not right up against the tank. For best dishes, try the
Mussels for an appy and the trout for the entrée. Other seafood are not good choices.
The non-fish selections, like rubber chicken, are run of the mill or worse. New York Strip
and Smashed Potatoes is always a good choice, Tell them to rest the steak before service
at the table. Service can be spotty, so be prepared for slow waitresses. For those looking
for a quiet and romantic outing, this is a place to pass, the really high noise level drowns
out most conversations.

Our Ratings of Teppan Edo: (rev 2/19/2013)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: Hibachi tables seat eight (two each side, four front side). Sometimes they can
squeeze nine if several kids. Depending upon the chef it can be exciting and entertaining,
or it can be almost dull. Quality is below a Benihana, but above average for Japanese
cuisine. It should be noted that medium or large appetites will want to stop before or
after dinner for a snack, as portions are medium-sized and big eaters can leave hungry.
(Just to answer a common question, they only serve white rice, as fried rice is Chinese.)

NOTE2: We think the Benihana at the Hilton in the Downtown Disney Hotel District is better
than Teppan Edo for both food quality and "the show" the chef puts on.

DVC Dude 10-18-2013 09:44 PM

The view at Coral Reef is amazing

troll buster 10-18-2013 09:56 PM

We love Coral Reef!

kastoney 10-18-2013 10:21 PM

Neither. Head to Via Napolli and enjoy some of Disneys best!

USMelinUK 10-19-2013 08:12 AM

I like Teppen Edo a lot! I wouldn't go to Coral Reef for any reason.

mjl1969 10-19-2013 08:31 AM

Coral reef , Nothing unique about TE , just another hibachi place

MyOtherSS 10-19-2013 09:03 AM

If I had to choose I would pick Coral Reef and that's coming from someone who doesn't eat seafood. The atmosphere is really cool with the fish swimming by and we had really good food & service. Also it was VERY quiet compared to other restaurants we have dined at but we also did lunch not dinner but I'm sure experiences will vary. Teppen Edo the food was good but I feel like I could go down the street and get hibachi nothing really special about it.

mevelandry 10-19-2013 09:18 AM

Great fishtank, good steak and amazing desserts at Coral Reef. But it wouldn't be my first choice in Epcot.

Melanie B 10-19-2013 09:40 AM

We enjoy both but we do prefer Teppan Edo

Shleedogg 10-19-2013 12:05 PM

We haven't tried coral reef as we're not seafood people. We just tried teppan edo for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it! We've had several adrs there that got cancelled last minute because we weren't excited about it based on the menu. It does look pretty boring. I will say that we don't have a hibachi place close by and the kids and I have never been to one (DH has once). We thought the food was excellent.

You had to request white rice. They brought out a beef rice that I personally thought wad disgusting. Seasoning on everything was perfect, well cooked. Our chef was very funny. Perhaps not the most skilled when compared to the older chefs at other tables, but he was good and had all of us laughing. My super picky DH wants to go back every trip now.

vanillarum 10-19-2013 12:25 PM

We ate at both this past trip. We have eaten at Coral Reef quite often, but it was our first trip to Teppan Edo. The food at both was fine. Like the pp's stated, depending on the size of your party (we had 4), you may sit with strangers. Not an issue with us. The biggest plus that Coral Reef has, at least for us (my DW was an avid scuba diver. I was fanatical !) is the aquarium. It is pretty amazing, and something worth seeing, at least once. Good luck.

gabzee 10-19-2013 02:25 PM

Between these two, I would pick Teppan Edo. However, I think that there are better restaurants in Epcot to choose from.

fallen_angel727 10-20-2013 06:32 AM

I've never eaten at Coral Reef (it's on my to-do list)...I HAVE however, eaten at Teppen Edo, and it was excellent! The food was great and we had a wonderful chef and really enjoyed they show he put on :thumbsup2

GAGirlInVA 10-20-2013 03:33 PM

We thought TE was just okay. We have had amazing meals at hibachi steakhouses outside of Disney though, so it just seemed "meh" to us.

Coral Reef is on our ADR wishlist for this next trip. A friend just got back and said it was one of her favorite meals!