The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Avatarland = hope for the Yeti? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3185867)

DPCummerbund 10-14-2013 12:27 AM

I've always heard that Disco Yeti won't be fixed because it's the headline attraction at AK, & there just isn't enough to do there with Expedition Everest closed. If Avatarland opens, Disney could close Expedition Everest without much fanfare & finally fix the yeti. Even better, they could fix it sooner rather than later, so that when crowds actually start showing up at AK, the yeti is already fixed. Thoughts?

wdwfan757 10-14-2013 12:43 AM

If ever there was a time to fix the yeti, it'd be the first 6 months after avatarland opened. They should absolutely take that opportunity.

cymonster 10-14-2013 07:27 AM

I doubt it as much as I want to see the yeti fix. A lot of people you go to AK don't know the yeti isn't working. From what I understand is that it would involve take apart most of the mountain which would cost a lot of money

Viva Las Disney 10-14-2013 07:48 AM

As much as I'd like to see the Yeti working I just can't imagine Disney (or any company) closing one of their headline attractions unless it was absolutely necessary for safety or major maintenance. I've seen interviews that lead me to believe a good part of the mountain would have to be disassembled just to access the Yeti, not only does that sound incredibly time consuming but also incredibly expensive.

BTMRR at Disneyland has been closed for over a year for a refurb so it does happen but BTMRR is also 30+ years old whereas EE is only 7 years old. I'm sure at some point the Yeti will be fixed but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen for another 20 years when EE is finally due for a major refurb.

disneylover1980 10-14-2013 08:08 AM

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot...what's wrong with the Yeti? I am assuming it's the one at the end of the Everest ride??

Viva Las Disney 10-14-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneylover1980 (Post 49821713)
At the risk of sounding like a total idiot...what's wrong with the Yeti? I am assuming it's the one at the end of the Everest ride??

He (she?) is one of the largest moving animatronics Disney has built but the movement was breaking his foundation so they turned him off and he hasn't moved in years, although it's rumored he's still fully functional and turned on occasionally when an Executive or Joe Rohde are riding and request it. He's now called Disco Yeti because Disney put strobe lights on him after they turned off his movement.

Dayton Flyer 10-14-2013 08:50 AM

Well, we only have to wait 5 more years to find out!

beer dave 10-14-2013 06:34 PM

unfortunately, I doubt they will ever fix Betty. They haven't fixed the pterodactyl or the compys in Dinosaur, and would think they are an easy fix. I think most people have forgotten how awesome the yeti was, or never saw her in her glory day (note singular) so they never knew something was missing. What... 2 years of operation? probably not even. I think more like 1.5. Avatar land will take the focus completely off of the fact she is broken, and there will be no reason to fix. I don't want this to be true, but I think it is.

chartle 10-14-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneylover1980 (Post 49821713)

As posted above this comment is the reason. How many people here post on broken yeti threads that they swear on their grandmother's grave that they road it last Thursday and the yeti swooped down and nearly took their head off. Aka it moved.

They don't need to fix it to keep packing them in.

darkwing818 10-14-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartle (Post 49827529)
As posted above this comment is the reason. How many people here post on broken yeti threads that they swear on their grandmother's grave that they road it last Thursday and the yeti swooped down and nearly took their head off. Aka it moved.

I suspect this is right on the money.... :sad1:

Silock 10-15-2013 12:55 AM

Rohde said that he was going to fix it eventually. I'm guessing he meant after Avatarland opened.

Son of Gadsden 10-15-2013 07:19 AM

I'm now freaked out.

Something about broken amusement park rides creep me out. I've got megalophopia or something lol.

The idea of a giant broken animatronic Yeti that has shaken its foundation loose and therefore is essentially abandonned and not moving. :crazy2:

DPCummerbund 10-15-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

This is a very valid point, but lit leads to another question:

If rides don't need to have functioning multi-million dollar audioanimatronics in order to "pack them in", why does Disney bother building the mulit-million dollar audioanimatronics in the first place? If a statue and a strobe light look the same, why spend the extra money?

Viva Las Disney 10-15-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Gadsden (Post 49830581)
I'm now freaked out.

Something about broken amusement park rides creep me out. I've got megalophopia or something lol.

The idea of a giant broken animatronic Yeti that has shaken its foundation loose and therefore is essentially abandonned and not moving. :crazy2:

Technically the ride is still 100% functional but the Yeti movement was damaging his foundation and eventually the movement could have broken it. He was turned off as a precaution, not because anything was actually broken.

No need to worry.

Reddog1134 10-15-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

I just got back and can say with 100% certainty, that the Yeti was moving...nowhere.

I've never seen the in action in real life but I've seen it on video enough to know the difference. If was definitely stationary but it does seem like it's leaning down further than it used to.