The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sanaa recommendations please... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3185738)

mickeymotto 10-13-2013 07:00 PM

Sanaa recommendations please...
 
Anyone ever dine at Sanaa at AKL? If so, any recommendations would be appreciated. We are considering a first time visit this trip and I would like to know what everyone recommends. :goodvibes

4mykids 10-13-2013 07:11 PM

We loved the bread service which was enough to fill me up. My DS22 had the trio of stews (sorry I don't remember the name). He loved that. Just don't miss the bread service!

mickeymotto 10-13-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4mykids (Post 49818558)
We loved the bread service which was enough to fill me up. My DS22 had the trio of stews (sorry I don't remember the name). He loved that. Just don't miss the bread service!

Are there different kinds of breads? If so, which are your favorite?

whitepicketfence 10-13-2013 07:33 PM

We ate at Sanaa twice last month on our first stay at AKL. LOVED it! We stopped at the lounge for a beer after a long, hot day at the parks. We had no dinner plans so decided to try the bread service. Opted for all 9 dips. It was so good. The different dips were refreshing, spicy, creamy, just so fun.

A couple of nights later, we had dinner. We started with the mussels...we love mussels. These were delish, broth was so good with a fennel infusion that was so tasty with the ginger bread that was served with it. We then had the salad sampler. They were all wonderful, esp. the watermelon salad. For entrees', we had a "pick two", butter chicken and the bison dish and basmati rice. Other entree was the braised lamb shank. All were very tasty and I can't believe we ate it all. We usually get one app, one entree and split. We even got a dessert...the banana kulfi dessert.

I was full for 2 days....next time I would do maybe split an entree or even skip. The mussels, bread and salad sampler would make a great meal for us to split!

Hope you try it! It is a special place!

mickeymotto 10-13-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitepicketfence (Post 49818760)
We ate at Sanaa twice last month on our first stay at AKL. LOVED it! We stopped at the lounge for a beer after a long, hot day at the parks. We had no dinner plans so decided to try the bread service. Opted for all 9 dips. It was so good. The different dips were refreshing, spicy, creamy, just so fun.

A couple of nights later, we had dinner. We started with the mussels...we love mussels. These were delish, broth was so good with a fennel infusion that was so tasty with the ginger bread that was served with it. We then had the salad sampler. They were all wonderful, esp. the watermelon salad. For entrees', we had a "pick two", butter chicken and the bison dish and basmati rice. Other entree was the braised lamb shank. All were very tasty and I can't believe we ate it all. We usually get one app, one entree and split. We even got a dessert...the banana kulfi dessert.

I was full for 2 days....next time I would do maybe split an entree or even skip. The mussels, bread and salad sampler would make a great meal for us to split!

Hope you try it! It is a special place!

Thanks so much for the info. How was the butter chicken? I see they are offering it at the food trucks in DTD now during Foodtopia. So I figured it must be popular. I can't wait to try the bread! :goodvibes

whitepicketfence 10-13-2013 08:02 PM

The butter chicken was tasty...not at all what the name implies, but a tomato based sauce.

For me, the breads (we got all 3 naans), the dips, the salads and the mussels were the stars. Maybe on a freezing cold night, I would re-order the lamb shanks or bison short ribs. But it was hot, muggy and those lighter dishes were spot on!

mom2grace 10-13-2013 08:20 PM

They offer a special lunch called something like Dining with a Disney Animal Specialist. We did it last week & loved it. You have to book ahead & it is only offered on certain days.

It is 4 courses (I think about $50/adult), you get the bread service to share with all 9 sauces & 3 different types of bread, then each person gets 3 salads, watermelon, mango, & chick pea. I would say each was at least a cup.

Then the entree is the butter chicken & mahi mahi with basmati rice.

Dessert was 3 individual servings of Chai Cream, coconut cheesecake & a chocolate mousse per person. It was all amazing!

mickeymotto 10-13-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2grace (Post 49819092)
They offer a special lunch called something like Dining with a Disney Animal Specialist. We did it last week & loved it. You have to book ahead & it is only offered on certain days.

It is 4 courses (I think about $50/adult), you get the bread service to share with all 9 sauces & 3 different types of bread, then each person gets 3 salads, watermelon, mango, & chick pea. I would say each was at least a cup.

Then the entree is the butter chicken & mahi mahi with basmati rice.

Dessert was 3 individual servings of Chai Cream, coconut cheesecake & a chocolate mousse per person. It was all amazing!

That sounds wonderful! I wonder where I can find info on it. I will check their website. :goodvibes

mickeymotto 10-13-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2grace (Post 49819092)
They offer a special lunch called something like Dining with a Disney Animal Specialist. We did it last week & loved it. You have to book ahead & it is only offered on certain days.

It is 4 courses (I think about $50/adult), you get the bread service to share with all 9 sauces & 3 different types of bread, then each person gets 3 salads, watermelon, mango, & chick pea. I would say each was at least a cup.

Then the entree is the butter chicken & mahi mahi with basmati rice.

Dessert was 3 individual servings of Chai Cream, coconut cheesecake & a chocolate mousse per person. It was all amazing!

It does NOT have a link to make ADRs even on their website. I suppose I would have to call to get info and ressie. :confused3

mom2grace 10-13-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeymotto (Post 49819186)

It does NOT have a link to make ADRs even on their website. I suppose I would have to call to get info and ressie. :confused3

Yes, you have to call. The CM I got had never even heard of it but was able to book it successfully!

TheRustyScupper 10-13-2013 09:56 PM

Our Ratings of Sanaa: (*rev 8/1/2013*)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: A
. . . character interaction: B (views of animals on savannah)

NOTE1: Has good regional African food. Americanized, but definitely more adventurous
than other eateries. The menu is shorter than other table service eateries, the wine list
average, but the quality of the food and presentation are high. An added benefit is the
viewing animals on the Savannah during the meal (for daylight hours). There's eight window
tables and six more with good views. For lunch, try the Lamb Kefta open face sandwich; for
dinner, try the beef and lamb. Don't miss out on the Banana Kulfi Sundae. We really like
the bread appy/sampler, as well as the salad sampler with three of the salads; either will
feed two people. Be aware that items labeled as "Durban" are highly spiced, best washed
down with cold milk! It is out of the way, but is worth the long drive. This is only one
of the five sit down eateries we patronize at WDW. In our opinion, Sanaa is better than
Jiko or Boma.

NOTE2: We prefer the lunch over the dinner.
. . . the fare is a little lighter
. . . the price is better
. . . the appys and salads are the same
. . . the lower number of people eating
. . . the ability to see animals on the savannah

Simba's Mom 10-13-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2grace (Post 49819092)
They offer a special lunch called something like Dining with a Disney Animal Specialist. We did it last week & loved it. You have to book ahead & it is only offered on certain days.

It is 4 courses (I think about $50/adult), you get the bread service to share with all 9 sauces & 3 different types of bread, then each person gets 3 salads, watermelon, mango, & chick pea. I would say each was at least a cup.

Then the entree is the butter chicken & mahi mahi with basmati rice.

Dessert was 3 individual servings of Chai Cream, coconut cheesecake & a chocolate mousse per person. It was all amazing!

That's so good! I've done it twice and have reservations for this coming Wednesday.

My favorite regular lunch food offering is the chicken tandoori (or shrimp tandoori) on Naan bread with cucumber raita. My favorite bread in the bread servic is also the Naan bread.

mickeymotto 10-13-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simba's Mom (Post 49819912)
That's so good! I've done it twice and have reservations for this coming Wednesday.

My favorite regular lunch food offering is the chicken tandoori (or shrimp tandoori) on Naan bread with cucumber raita. My favorite bread in the bread servic is also the Naan bread.

Did you have to call to make reservations? And do they offer this for lunch and dinner?

Karlzmom 10-13-2013 11:32 PM

I love the green curry on the "Slow Cooked and Well Seasoned" dinner.

Bread service is good.....

I don't think we've had a bad meal there and even picked Sanaa for our Christmas dinner this year.

mickeymotto 10-13-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlzmom (Post 49820506)
I love the green curry on the "Slow Cooked and Well Seasoned" dinner.

Bread service is good.....

I don't think we've had a bad meal there and even picked Sanaa for our Christmas dinner this year.

Sounds good. We can't wait to try it now. :goodvibes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.