The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Early March: Should pool construction affect decision? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3184675)

thisismyusername 10-11-2013 08:21 AM

Early March: Should pool construction affect decision?
 
We are currently booked at the Poly for March for a short stay of 3 nights. From everything that I've been reading, it seems we should expect the pool to be under construction during that time (which I'm guessing means closed, right?), which may not be a big deal if it's too cold to swim, but would be a big bummer if it's warm enough to swim.

Is early March very unpredictable weather wise? Do you usually get a chance to swim, or no? We really want to try the Poly, but I must admit that I'm not really keen on paying top $ for fewer amenities and a lesser experience than if we booked over in the Epcot circle, which is where we normally stay and love, but we wanted to try something different this time and figured a short stay was the time to do it.

Thoughts appreciated!

HM 10-11-2013 08:29 AM

It wouldn't affect me, especially if the trip is that short. I doubt I'd take time out of a three day trip to use the pool.

We did use a pool area in early March for sunbathing (a couple years ago), but we did not actually swim.

yarddecor 10-11-2013 06:16 PM

Weather can go either way in March as far as being able to swim. The pool is a big focal area at the Poly even though it isn't very big. I personally wouldn't spend the money if the pool may be closed.

Kimberle 10-11-2013 07:02 PM

Generally when the feature pool is closed, you're allowed to your another resorts feature pool. I would guess that you'd be allowed to use the GF's feature pool, since that resort is closest.

(Just guessing, here, based on the past.) ;)

Marthasor 10-11-2013 08:32 PM

We were in Orlando in March last year and the weather was very iffy. It was only warm enough to swim one day of our 5 day trip. It rained quite a bit, too. I remember I was originally planning on booking Discovery Cove for that trip and was sure glad I changed my mind!!

If the pool is your only deciding factor then I would keep Poly. If the pool is closed, they will most likely let you swim at GF which is within walking distance and there is a quiet pool as well.

Babsy 10-11-2013 08:33 PM

Yes, if the pool matters to you.
 
We use the pools in Jan, so March is obviously warm enough for us. However, we are used to cold weather. Florida never gets cold IMO! If you look up the historical weather for MArch in Florida online you will have a good basis for deciding whether or not it is warm enough to swim for your family.

It sounds like the pool will be affected in March, although no one really knows for sure. Even if the pool is closed, you will be able to swim by being transported to the GF pool. Whether or not the resort pool is a big deal to you is something you may want to consider as part of your resort decision. Will you be happy staying at a resort where you may need to bus or boat to another resort for swimming? How much time will you want to spend enjoying the pool area? Or will you be in the parks all day and not really care?

Personally, I wouldn't want to stay at the Poly during construction with a major part of the resort affected (such as the pool). The price is simply too high and there are many excellent alternative resorts that will not have these issues. As much as i wanted to stay at the Poly in Nov, for example, we opted to stay at CR instead rather than risk construction woes.

thisismyusername 10-12-2013 08:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to keep the reservation for now--perhaps if I hear that things are a mess over there closer to the time we're going to travel, I'll consider changing.

If it were summer when I knew swimming was probably going to be possible for sure, I don't think I'd keep the reservation.

mickeynut1 10-12-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisismyusername (Post 49807252)
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to keep the reservation for now--perhaps if I hear that things are a mess over there closer to the time we're going to travel, I'll consider changing.

If it were summer when I knew swimming was probably going to be possible for sure, I don't think I'd keep the reservation.

As others have said, March weather can be iffy, so it's hard to say whether or not it will be warm enough to swim. Regarding the pool closure, I have read that guests booked at the Poly April-August are being told the pool will be closed/under construction and a shuttle will be provided to go to the GF if they wanted to use the GF pool. Here's a link to a thread that is following the construction:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110773

The last page or two has some posts about the pool closure. HTH :).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.