The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Combining Contracts? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3184286)

cdnSpinalTap 10-10-2013 10:36 AM

Combining Contracts?
 
Hello,

I was hoping to buy enough DVC points to allow us to take our yearly vacation in a two bedroom villa at BWV. I had a couple of questions, I know someone out there can answer :-)

The first is, if I get my points at BWV, how hard is it to secure a 2-Bedroom villa? If I book with the maximum lead time, are those types of rooms generally available?

Also, I am pretty sure I won't be able to find a contract with the exact right amount of points. Can you buy multiple contracts and combine them? What is the best strategy for this?

Thanks in advance.

-Dean

heynowirv 10-10-2013 10:50 AM

First things first,at the 11 month window which is what your home resort booking window is unless it's a very busy time for DVC you should get whatever you want.
Secondly if your two contracts are for the same resort and UY(meaning say every August your points are replenished), then yes they can be combined for all the points in your account.

I hope that answered your questions.
Irv

cdnSpinalTap 10-10-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heynowirv (Post 49791289)
First things first,at the 11 month window which is what your home resort booking window is unless it's a very busy time for DVC you should get whatever you want.
Secondly if your two contracts are for the same resort and UY(meaning say every August your points are replenished), then yes they can be combined for all the points in your account.

I hope that answered your questions.
Irv

Thanks Irv for the quick reply. That does answer my question. Just to extrapolate a bit to ensure I understand - if we typically go in Jan/Feb I should buy the necessary contracts with a December use year. Will DVC combine these into one contract, or will they keep them separate and I just pull points from these separate contracts when I do my booking? What is the best strategy if I wanted to sell later - multiple smaller contracts or one big one?

Thanks again.

chalee94 10-10-2013 11:02 AM

standard view and boardwalk view rooms book up first at BWV but at 11 months out, that should not be a problem.

in addition to needing contracts with the same resort and UY month, the contracts also need to be titled exactly the same. not generally an issue but worth noting.

chalee94 10-10-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdnSpinalTap (Post 49791383)
Will DVC combine these into one contract, or will they keep them separate and I just pull points from these separate contracts when I do my booking? What is the best strategy if I wanted to sell later - multiple smaller contracts or one big one?

1) the contracts will work together like one contract, but they are still separate - and can be sold or willed separately later on.

the first contract is your master contract and additional contracts with the same UY and owner(s) are considered add-ons to that master contract.

(if you buy a different resort, pts can only be combined at 7 months out, not 11 months - but they would still be considered an add-on.)

2) if you sell later, multiple small contracts give you more options in getting out slowly (selling some pts but keeping a fraction to continue using). smaller contracts also sell for a higher price per pt than larger contracts. (of course, that hurts you up-front when you buy in.)

cdnSpinalTap 10-10-2013 12:38 PM

Thanks!

Deb & Bill 10-11-2013 01:54 PM

One bit of information - all two bedroom villas at BWV are lockoffs. None are dedicated.

Tigger & Eeyore 10-21-2013 07:39 PM

No
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdnSpinalTap (Post 49791383)
Thanks Irv for the quick reply. That does answer my question. Just to extrapolate a bit to ensure I understand - if we typically go in Jan/Feb I should buy the necessary contracts with a December use year. Will DVC combine these into one contract, or will they keep them separate and I just pull points from these separate contracts when I do my booking? What is the best strategy if I wanted to sell later - multiple smaller contracts or one big one?

Thanks again.

No, Disney will not combine them into one contract. I have two contracts and I either transfer from one to the other or I have Disney link them. Note that you cannot use points from you contracts to cover the same night meaning if you need 50 and have 25 in each you would need to transfer before you can book the night. I generally figured it out a head of time and then tell them exactly how I want them moved and booked. I have yet to have any problems doing this. They are great to work with!!

DVC Sue 10-22-2013 03:09 PM

If you do this, make sure you get contracts with the same UY. Then, you can use them together.

Dean 10-23-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVC Sue (Post 49896922)
If you do this, make sure you get contracts with the same UY. Then, you can use them together.

They can potentially be used like a single contract but this is not a guarantee even if the same UY. You must also have them titled identically and still hope DVC combines them into one (which they usually have done historically). I happen to think this is one area that's at risk going forward when you buy resale.

Pirate Granny 10-23-2013 07:49 AM

We have two BCV one 100 and one 60. Titled the same and same UY. Never had a problem booking using either and they combined both contracts to book one night.

disneynutz 10-23-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdnSpinalTap (Post 49791383)
Thanks Irv for the quick reply. That does answer my question. Just to extrapolate a bit to ensure I understand - if we typically go in Jan/Feb I should buy the necessary contracts with a December use year. Will DVC combine these into one contract, or will they keep them separate and I just pull points from these separate contracts when I do my booking? What is the best strategy if I wanted to sell later - multiple smaller contracts or one big one?

Thanks again.

Smaller contracts will be more in demand and allows you more flexibility should you want to sell one. If we buy direct, we always buy 50 point contracts. When we buy resale we always buy smaller contracts.

:earsboy: Bill


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.