The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Sea sickness with a baby? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3180608)

Makayna 10-02-2013 12:10 PM

Sea sickness with a baby?

Last time we cruised (Pacific Coast cruise on the Wonder, September 2011), I got a little sick. OK, a little more than a little. I tried to fake it for most of the cruise and make the best of it, but on certain days, I was pretty miserable... to the point where I had to miss our character breakfast. :( So this time, I'm going to be taking Bonine and Sea Bands. I've never had motion sickness before - ever. So it was a shock to me when I got sick.

So now on to the real reason I am writing this thread: My 16 month old daughter. She has been on boats before and has never shown any signs of motion sickness, but again, neither did I until our cruise 2 years ago, and haven't since. So I want to be prepared should she get sick. What sorts of precautions can I take for her?

PrincessShmoo 10-02-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makayna (Post 49722306)
Last time we cruised (Pacific Coast cruise on the Wonder, September 2011), I got a little sick. OK, a little more than a little. I tried to fake it for most of the cruise and make the best of it, but on certain days, I was pretty miserable... to the point where I had to miss our character breakfast. :( So this time, I'm going to be taking Bonine and Sea Bands. I've never had motion sickness before - ever. So it was a shock to me when I got sick.

So now on to the real reason I am writing this thread: My 16 month old daughter. She has been on boats before and has never shown any signs of motion sickness, but again, neither did I until our cruise 2 years ago, and haven't since. So I want to be prepared should she get sick. What sorts of precautions can I take for her?

At that age, I'd be talking to the pediatrician and asking what kinds of things you can do.

Gracefulskinny 10-02-2013 12:33 PM

I second the talk with a Pediatrician before you go. But I think you are right to think ahead.

Makayna 10-02-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 49722506)
At that age, I'd be talking to the pediatrician and asking what kinds of things you can do.

Good idea! I have a call into my pediatrician's nurse to call us back with some advice. But I'd love to hear people's experiences with an infant/toddler under 2 as well.

disneyfaninaz 10-02-2013 12:45 PM

Our ped recommended Benedryl for our DD. Anti nausea medications are basically antihistamines.

Cptnkirky 10-03-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz (Post 49722698)
Our ped recommended Benedryl for our DD. Anti nausea medications are basically antihistamines.

We got the same response from our pediatrician a few weeks ago, Benadryl only. My DD is 12 months, if that helps.

jimsubry 10-03-2013 10:39 PM

I think the young ones are a bit hardier than us older folks anyway. Babies are always rocking in or swinging on something, kids love rides that spin you around like crazy, etc. and it just doesn't seem to affect them! I remember being like this when I was a kid, but ugh, get me on a swing nowadays or spin me around a couple times and I get nauseous! :scared:

porkchop04 10-03-2013 11:29 PM

My kids pediatrician said we should be more worried about the adults than the kids. She said no sea sickness medicine is approved for kids so don't use it. Look into pure essential oils or ginger suckers- like the ones for pregnancy morning sickness.

Makayna 10-04-2013 03:35 PM

I got the same response from my ped - children's Benadryl if needed. We're going to bring some along, but I don't anticipate a problem. Thanks for the suggestions and experiences everyone! :goodvibes

Mydisneywedding 10-06-2013 07:58 AM

Hi, I am traveling on the 20th of Oct. in the Dream and I recently asked my pediatrician about what to take if my 22 month old got sea sick. She said to take ginger flavored candies. Whole foods sells ginger lollipops. she said the ginger would settle his stomach and will help with nausea.