The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Dining Reviews (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   It's like an African safari for your taste buds! Aug 2013 update 1/3 Tokyo Dining (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170862)

librarygeek 09-10-2013 10:00 PM

It's like an African safari for your taste buds! Aug 2013 update 1/3 Tokyo Dining

Welcome to my dining review! First, to explain the title - we stayed at AKL and tried a lot of the food there. We were supposed to do all of the places but unfortunately never made it to Sanaa. But we did try Boma, Jiko, and the Mara! Plus, we did the Wild Africa Trek during our trip and got that yummy African inspired lunch too! We were in Disney for 5 days mainly for a friend's wedding, but we decided to start celebrating our anniversary early as well! So let's get down to the business... here's where we ate:

Where We Ate:

Airport Food
The Mara
Cosmic Ray's
Splitsville
Wild Africa Trek
Jiko
Boma - breakfast
Disney wedding food!
Illuminations dessert party
Tokyo Dining

About Us

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0b67781b.jpg

It was me and DH on this trip, as well as a few friends that we met up with along the way! You can learn more about our personal lives in over in my TR, but as for our food preferences - we are both pretty adventurous eaters. We like to try different cuisines and are really into African/Indian, so we took advantage of staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge to try a lot of food there. We also love Japanese so Tokyo Dining was a must. Unfortunately, just a few weeks before we left DH had a pretty bad allergic reaction to something. We don't yet know what it was, and he couldn't get an appointment with an allergist right away. But given the fact that we had been to Red Lobster the evening of the incident, we thought it best if he avoid seafood for awhile :( Which is a total bummer because seafood is probably the thing we both love most! In fact, if you go and look at our honeymoon dining review you can see that it was titled "Honeymoon Lovers and Seafood Lovers." So that was a bit of a challenge for him!

RGirl 09-10-2013 10:33 PM

Joining in! Again! :laughing:

lovelygirl1975 09-11-2013 03:58 AM

Yep came right over...joining here too. Who doesn't love to talk/read about food! 😀

sjs314 09-11-2013 04:09 AM

Count me in!

wilma-bride 09-11-2013 04:15 AM

I'm in. Looking forward to it - particularly the Disney wedding food :thumbsup2

momto3gr8boys 09-11-2013 04:26 AM

Hi, I'm in too! I love food, especially African/Indian, and hope to stay at the AKL some day! We also did the WAT a few weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to your review on that food!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Tinker12 09-11-2013 08:11 AM

Count me in!! :goodvibes

shalom 09-11-2013 08:19 AM

Nice picture of the two of you. :) I like the way your outfits subtly match -- were you in the wedding party?

Of course I want to see what you ate at AKL, but I think I'm mostly looking forward to Splitsville and the wedding food. :upsidedow Because they'll be different, I suppose.

vettegirl 09-11-2013 09:28 AM

Joining in. Love your Epcot photos of the two of you :)

wiigirl 09-11-2013 09:54 AM

Joining in! :goodvibes

librarygeek 09-11-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGirl (Post 49532909)
Joining in! Again! :laughing:

So glad to have you! Again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelygirl1975 (Post 49533667)
Yep came right over...joining here too. Who doesn't love to talk/read about food! 😀

I know, right? I can never get enough of dining reviews!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjs314 (Post 49533679)
Count me in!

Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilma-bride (Post 49533685)
I'm in. Looking forward to it - particularly the Disney wedding food :thumbsup2

Wedding food sometimes gets a bad reputation in general, but I can tell you that Disney wedding food is amazing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys (Post 49533702)
Hi, I'm in too! I love food, especially African/Indian, and hope to stay at the AKL some day! We also did the WAT a few weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to your review on that food!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

There are so many great food options at AKL if you're into the African/Indian cuisine. and Wild Africa Trek was great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker12 (Post 49534748)
Count me in!! :goodvibes

Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalom (Post 49534830)
Nice picture of the two of you. :) I like the way your outfits subtly match -- were you in the wedding party?

Of course I want to see what you ate at AKL, but I think I'm mostly looking forward to Splitsville and the wedding food. :upsidedow Because they'll be different, I suppose.

Thank you! We weren't in the wedding party, but DH didn't have any idea what to wear so I picked something out to match with me :thumbsup2

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettegirl (Post 49535440)
Joining in. Love your Epcot photos of the two of you :)

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiigirl (Post 49535660)
Joining in! :goodvibes

Glad to have you along again!

emmysmommy 09-11-2013 02:58 PM

Count me in!! I'm looking forward to this. :)

librarygeek 09-12-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmysmommy (Post 49538256)
Count me in!! I'm looking forward to this. :)

Awesome, I am glad to have you along!

librarygeek 09-12-2013 08:53 PM

Airport Food

Okay, so we're going to have to get through the not as good food before we get to all of that great Disney food! Because our first day was our travel day, and we ended up spending the majority of that day in airports, thanks to a delayed/cancelled flight.

We arrived in Philly airport bright and early around 8am, and had about 45 minutes before we were boarding so we stopped by Earl of Sandwich! I was so excited that we were finally in the terminal that had the Earl of Sandwich. We grabbed breakfast there. DH and I both had the egg, bacon, and cheese:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...psa0a957bb.jpg

This was good! An excellent way to start off the morning. We're not big breakfast people, but this was as good as I could have hoped for with breakfast food. The bread that Earl uses is really good which made the sandwich extra yummy.

We had a layover in Detroit, and originally we weren't going to eat lunch there since it was such a fast layover. But our flight ended up being delayed and we sat around in Detroit for 5 and a half hours (for more info, see my TR...). So we grabbed some lunch at Quizno's:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7b5ed903.jpg

This is the pesto chicken flatbread. It was just okay. It looks better than it tasted. The pesto was nothing special, it was pretty oily, and the ingredients didn't taste very fresh. But it was at least something to put in my stomach.

DH also came back from getting food with this:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps00b303af.jpg

Yum! I don't want to know how much this Mrs. Fields airport cookie cost, but it was good. And it made me feel just a tiny bit better about having to wait so long (but not much. No cookie is that good).

We arrived in Orlando around 8pm, hoping to catch Sanaa before it closed, but due to the rental car line we didn't get to AKL until about 10pm. We hadn't eaten in almost 10 hours and we were starving! So off to the Mara it was.

rachel09985 09-12-2013 11:05 PM

I am in for your reviews!! :)