The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Poly or Grand Floridian? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3166441)

MrsJ Henry 09-01-2013 05:08 PM

Poly or Grand Floridian?

We are booked at the GF for the week before Christmas. But recently have been thinking of switching to Poly. My husband likes the looks of the rooms a lot better.
I'm concern earned about how spread out the Poly is and having long walks after a day at the park. The GF seems much more compact. But I have to admit that the theme of the poly is much more attractive.... What to do... What to do???

Babsy 09-01-2013 05:16 PM

There is construction about to start at the Poly, not sure how much that would affect you. But good to know before changing.

There is a thread here about it.

clapton 09-01-2013 05:21 PM

If I had to choose I would pick GF, just like the atmosphere more at GF. It is very different than the Poly, so it depends on which theme you prefer.Either way you really can't go wrong. Enjoy your trip!

lsa999 09-01-2013 05:39 PM

Poly. Theming and pool are vastly better IMO. Just request a room close to reception....totally minimizes walking.

APiratesLifeForMe2 09-01-2013 05:40 PM

If it weren't for the construction, I would suggest Poly. However I think this time around you are better staying at GF.

maine mom 09-01-2013 05:49 PM

Just left the Grand Floridian and had the best time ever. Beautiful hotel. Stayed at Poly 2years ago and GF is better. Construction noise was low. Will never stay anywhere else again.

ozzyla 09-01-2013 08:43 PM

I also would stay at GF over poly, although we requested a central room in poly we were the furthest building away from ttc, pool at poly was very crowded. A couple of years go stayed t GF and loved it, pool never seemed overcrowded and all areas were easy walks

Missus Toad 09-01-2013 08:54 PM

Just got back yesterday from a split stay, 5 days at each, and though I enjoyed both I'd easily choose the Poly. Easily. The difference between same-level rooms at the resorts and overall atmosphere was startling. That said, construction may affect your decision depending on when you travel. Didn't notice a difference in walking time around the resort except that GF had less shade.

mickeynut1 09-01-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsJ Henry (Post 49449262)
We are booked at the GF for the week before Christmas. But recently have been thinking of switching to Poly. My husband likes the looks of the rooms a lot better.
I'm concern earned about how spread out the Poly is and having long walks after a day at the park. The GF seems much more compact. But I have to admit that the theme of the poly is much more attractive.... What to do... What to do???

Have stayed at both and while the GF is an awesome resort, the Poly is our favorite. The GF is beautiful, but we love the Poly's tropical atmosphere, the volcano pool as it backs up to the beach, and the beach for watching the fireworks (just to name a few things). The Poly (IMO) is not that spread out, so it doesn't take long to get around the resort. As the pp said, DVC construction is supposed to be starting soon, so if that would be an issue for you, you might want to stick with the GF. We are booked at the Poly right before Christmas and we are not changing resorts as we aren't going to let the construction deter us from staying there again, but that's just us as everyone is different ;). Good luck deciding.

2012DisneyWorldBride 09-01-2013 09:02 PM

We love the GF... it is our deluxe of choice. We have went into Poly to walk around and check out the resort but it doesn't appeal to us. It seems to need some updating.

Plus around Christmas the GF decorations can't be beat!!!

Traceylee 09-02-2013 07:00 AM

I've never stayed at the Poly or GF. I originally had reservations for the Poly for our upcoming trip; but switched them to GF because of all the construction. I hated to spend all that money and have my view hampered with the construction as I only had the garden view.

Princess Katherine 09-02-2013 07:18 AM

If it there was no construction I would still stay GF. Although I like the Poly better, the GF would fit your needs. Nothing is far away and you can't really get lost. But it also depends on the longhouse you get too.

Katie

MrsJ Henry 09-02-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone... What are the chances that construction won't start by mid Nov?
I'm still thinking GF would be better due to buildings being closer together but DH loves the new look of the poly rooms.

Mousemommy1 09-02-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsJ Henry (Post 49457565)
Thanks everyone... What are the chances that construction won't start by mid Nov?
I'm still thinking GF would be better due to buildings being closer together but DH loves the new look of the poly rooms.

Construction is supposed to start this week.

mickeynut1 09-02-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsJ Henry (Post 49457565)

Construction walls are supposed to start going up around Sept 7th. IMO, both resorts are comparable as far as distance of the buildings to the main areas at both resorts. Neither resort is spread out, so nothing is far at either one. We like the Poly atmosphere better as well as the resort overall, but the GF is still a beautiful resort. Good luck deciding.