The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can't decide between more BCV points or new GF Points (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3159614)

SarahInMN 08-18-2013 02:05 PM

Can't decide between more BCV points or new GF Points
 
We currently own at BCV and bought several years ago on the resale market. We have been very happy and are looking to add on (in one way or another) primarily for my in - laws. My MIL spends hours on the phone trying to snag a AAA or AP or Visa deal on a YC room and gets super stressed out. this way = no stress, they just use our points. We just need to be able to get points for use in May 2014 (their anniversary).

They love the Yacht club and having a lake view. Obviously BCV has no views (but we love it), they don't like BWV (they've stayed there using points), and they like GF (we got married there). We think they'd be happy with a lagoon view GF and they tell us they'd be happy at BCV.

My husband fell in love with the GF video. We both love epcot and do food and wine every year. I'm rambling I realize.

Anyways, we wouldn't buy BCV from disney (130$ per point is insane) but would go resale route - there just aren't many BCV contracts out there currently, even less than when we bought several years ago. We need Feb use year and would an additional 150-200 points. ROFR's seem reasonably stable at BCV. How long has it taken people to find an "ideal" contract at BCV?

I know "worth" is relative but is GF really worth 150 per point? We had thought about buying at BLT and, in retrospect, are happy we didn't.

We just can't decide although wait time for a BCV resale may make our decision for us in all honesty because we could literally buy GF today and book May 2014 tomorrow.

Any advice or wisdom about length to find "ideal" BCV on the resale market? Or advice on how to decide? Why is this so hard - arghh!! :crazy2:

NoleFan 08-18-2013 03:07 PM

For your situation, it sounds like VGF would be better for the add on. If they like YC for SAB or close proximity to Epcot, then that might be a different situation. Few BCV contract are on the market & some are priced over $100/pt right now! For the extra $$, you could get a monorail, MK resort so you can change it up sometimes if you wanted to, and a longer contract life if that is important to you? Plus, you would get your points right away and have them for sure in time to book your trip.

Personally, I love & own @ BCV but the thought of owning a monorail resort is tempting if I was looking to add on. Poly......

SarahInMN 08-18-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoleFan (Post 49320173)
Personally, I love & own @ BCV but the thought of owning a monorail resort is tempting if I was looking to add on. Poly......

We love GF too (we got married there) - so its not wholly for the in-laws but that's the driving force to buy now versus waiting patiently. I agree it is very tempting to own on the monorail - I just can't stomach the prices of paying for a room on cash at the GF or Poly, so buying there has a huge appeal.

And agreed - I'm doubtful about the prospect of us finding the ideal BCV contract and making it through ROFR in a timely fashion. We called Disney and, not only would it likely be a 3-6 month wait through them, but there would be 12 people ahead of us for a BCV 150-200 Feb UY contract.

Hmmm...I may have just talked myself into GF. :lmao:

DizBub 08-18-2013 03:25 PM

We own at BCV too. Bought resale last year 160 points for $72pp. Those days are over....prices are up, at least for the time being. But however way you cut it 150-200 points at BCV at $130pp direct will still expire in 2042. VGF will be for the next 49/50 years and currently only $20pp more. Buying VGF starts to look like the better deal.

Another wrinkle is that you have a Feb UY, like we do.....be aware that Feb and March UY will not get 2013 points, you will get your 1st set of points Feb 2014. No dues until 2014 though and you can borrow those points now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

SarahInMN 08-18-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DizBub (Post 49320340)
VGF will be for the next 49/50 years and currently only $20pp more. Buying VGF starts to look like the better deal.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

thanks! we ran the MF over the course of both contracts relative to time left on the contract and agreed VGF looks better from that standpoint. Our guide though told us no one gets 2013 points regardless of UY - granted that may or not be an accurate statement.

DizBub 08-18-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahInMN (Post 49320568)
thanks! we ran the MF over the course of both contracts relative to time left on the contract and agreed VGF looks better from that standpoint. Our guide though told us no one gets 2013 points regardless of UY - granted that may or not be an accurate statement.

April UY and on get 2013 points. Has something to do with when the resort was declared. Technically it didn't exist until April.

Nabas 08-18-2013 05:41 PM

Based on what you wrote in the OP, it seems the choice is obvious: VGF.

As you wrote, the in-laws don't even like BCV while VGF is good for an extra 20 years, or $1/year. Conversely, they liked the Grand Floridian.

Annual Maintenance Fees are comparable and it absolutely won't be possible to book a Studio at VGF without it being your Home Resort.

KAT4DISNEY 08-18-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahInMN (Post 49320568)
thanks! we ran the MF over the course of both contracts relative to time left on the contract and agreed VGF looks better from that standpoint. Our guide though told us no one gets 2013 points regardless of UY - granted that may or not be an accurate statement.

That statement would have me asking for a new guide because it is false.

CarolMN 08-18-2013 07:06 PM

It's unlikely the May dates you want would book up at the VGF before the 7 month window opens, so the only "negative" to waiting to buy VGF would be a price increase. (February use years will not get 2013 points, so unless you want a different use year, you won't get points until 2014).

If it were me, I'd keep watching for a BCV resale - and wouldn't give up on that to go for VGF until 2-3 weeks before the 7 month window for your May dates arrives. I'd probably also give up on BCV just before the next price increase for VGF goes into effect.

Good luck!

disneynutz 08-18-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahInMN (Post 49319617)
We currently own at BCV and bought several years ago on the resale market. We have been very happy and are looking to add on (in one way or another) primarily for my in - laws. My MIL spends hours on the phone trying to snag a AAA or AP or Visa deal on a YC room and gets super stressed out. this way = no stress, they just use our points. We just need to be able to get points for use in May 2014 (their anniversary).

They love the Yacht club and having a lake view. Obviously BCV has no views (but we love it), they don't like BWV (they've stayed there using points), and they like GF (we got married there). We think they'd be happy with a lagoon view GF and they tell us they'd be happy at BCV.

My husband fell in love with the GF video. We both love epcot and do food and wine every year. I'm rambling I realize.

Anyways, we wouldn't buy BCV from disney (130$ per point is insane) but would go resale route - there just aren't many BCV contracts out there currently, even less than when we bought several years ago. We need Feb use year and would an additional 150-200 points. ROFR's seem reasonably stable at BCV. How long has it taken people to find an "ideal" contract at BCV?

I know "worth" is relative but is GF really worth 150 per point? We had thought about buying at BLT and, in retrospect, are happy we didn't.

We just can't decide although wait time for a BCV resale may make our decision for us in all honesty because we could literally buy GF today and book May 2014 tomorrow.

Any advice or wisdom about length to find "ideal" BCV on the resale market? Or advice on how to decide? Why is this so hard - arghh!! :crazy2:

When staying at BWV did they have a BW View? IMO BWV has as good of views as the YC lake view.

:earsboy: Bill

SarahInMN 08-18-2013 07:19 PM

Thanks for all your input everyone!

We will definitely reconfirm the points/UY thing - *sigh* that seems to fall under the category of get a different answer depending on which guide/CM answers the question. Frustrating!

As much as the inlaws like GF and as much as my DH likes the "in mirror" tv at GF, I just love BCV's location. They did have a boardwalk view but felt it was too noisy/busy.

Carol - thanks for the words of wisdom in terms of being patient: we do have awhile until the 7 m windows start opening up. Patience is key!

NoleFan 08-18-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahInMN (Post 49322360)
As much as the inlaws like GF and as much as my DH likes the "in mirror" tv at GF, I just love BCV's location.

Me too! Enjoy the points whatever resort you decide! pixiedust:

Missyrose 08-18-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahInMN (Post 49322360)
We will definitely reconfirm the points/UY thing - *sigh* that seems to fall under the category of get a different answer depending on which guide/CM answers the question. Frustrating!

Here are the facts. Any UY from April or later will get 2013 points because the resort was officially declared in April 2013. With a February (or March UY) you won't get 2013 points. Any UYs after that will have 2013 points.

dbs1228 08-18-2013 07:39 PM

Just to note since no one has mentioned this the points difference to stay at GF is much higher 183 vs 120 for 1 week in May in studio -that is significant! We are staying 4 nights at GF in a 2bdrm and once my resale points were loaded we were booking the other 4 night somewhere. Once I looked at the points and realized I could get a 2 bedroom at BWV, BCV for 199 points vs. 313 :crazy2: we decided we would try GF but do a split stay for this trip. We actually could get the GV at OKW for less points :rolleyes:

Good luck!

NoleFan 08-18-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbs1228 (Post 49322561)
Just to note since no one has mentioned this the points difference to stay at GF is much higher 183 vs 120 for 1 week in May in studio -that is significant! We are staying 4 nights at GF in a 2bdrm and once my resale points were loaded we were booking the other 4 night somewhere. Once I looked at the points and realized I could get a 2 bedroom at BWV, BCV for 199 points vs. 313 :crazy2: we decided we would try GF but do a split stay for this trip. We actually could get the GV at OKW for less points :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Very good point!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.