The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Saratoga vs Old key west!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3158115)

The Saints 08-15-2013 10:05 AM

Saratoga vs Old key west!!

We are planning a trip next year and can't decide between saratoga springs and old key west any ideas please:)

sbobbio 08-15-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saints (Post 49291300)
We are planning a trip next year and can't decide between saratoga springs and old key west any ideas please:)

Saratoga Springs is closer to Downtown Disney but we enjoy Old Key West for the quieter and more peaceful atmosphere, especially after the parks.:crazy2:

Pakey 08-15-2013 10:35 AM

What size villa and how many people in your group?

Old Key West has bigger villas. Also, between the setup (no long hallways) and the large balconies with mature landscaping, the villas at OKW seem more private.

The larger units at OKW have a dining table rather than the bench setup that SSR has. The studios have 2 beds rather than a bed/sleeper.

I like the villa decor better at SSR. If we are just two people staying in a studio, I prefer SSR but otherwise I prefer OKW because of the larger units.

The pools are better at SSR. I like the food options a little better at SSR. SSR has a full service spa on property and I also like the layout at the resort better-it's easier to navigate and walk IMO.

SSR's walkway to DTD is being closed so there's really no longer that advantage for SSR. Both have boat access.

I think both are nice resorts and my choice depends on who I'm going with. I'm a spa person so I have more frequently stayed at SSR although I prefer the villas at OKW.

The Saints 08-15-2013 10:41 AM

we are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids 13 and 14.. we have looked at both but we are leaning towards SSR i think. i do like the idea of the bigger villas at AKW but we wont really be spending much time in there.. we like the idea of DTD only a boat ride away..
thanks for the info:thumbsup2

panixx 08-15-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saints (Post 49291704)
we are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids 13 and 14.. we have looked at both but we are leaning towards SSR i think. i do like the idea of the bigger villas at AKW but we wont really be spending much time in there.. we like the idea of DTD only a boat ride away..

It's only a boat ride away from OKW as well to DTD.

wiigirl 08-15-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panixx (Post 49292269)
It's only a boat ride away from OKW as well to DTD.

:thumbsup2

darkwing818 08-15-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saints (Post 49291704)

Both are nice, but with 2 teenagers you'd be surprised how having more space will help, at least it does with our 2 teenage DDs. ::yes::

Pakey 08-15-2013 01:31 PM

2 adults, 2 teens in a one bedroom - I would pick SSR.

2 adults, 2 teens in a studio. No hesitation - I would pick OKW.

MinnieGirl33 08-15-2013 01:47 PM

Have to agree with Pakey.

We love both resorts for different reasons. Don't think you could really go wrong either way. Really depends on what your priorities are as to which I would suggest.

Prefer SSR pool even though OKW isn't far behind & AP over Goods. Generally prefer the villas at OKW over SSR even though they are older.

mkoerner 08-17-2013 10:13 AM

OKW because their villas are bigger. Ask for hospitality house location. Doesn't use any more points and close to everything.

DreamerWDW 08-17-2013 03:56 PM

I would choose OKW for the theming and atmosphere of the resort. Plus Olivia's is a really great restaurant and the boat ride to DTD is really pretty from OKW.

TheRustyScupper 08-17-2013 04:25 PM

1) I work at both SSR and OKW.
2) TrustTheScupper, take OKW.
. . . bigger rooms
. . . more theming
. . . mature environment
. . . boat ride to DTD
. . . building architecture is unique
. . . more creative the the "Holiday Inn" approach at SSR
. . . better eateries

Rizzo1 09-07-2013 04:45 PM

We are going next spring to WDW and were also undecied between SSR & OKW. However, my hesitation for staying at OKW is that many people who have stayed there say that it can be a long walk to get to the bus 'stop'. (My DH recently had a stroke and is able to walk, but not too far at a time).

Is this correct? If so, I do know to ask to stay near the hospitality house. However, what if there are no rooms available there? Where else should I ask to stay? Is it the same at SSR? Any help is welcomed! :confused:

Sheilby 09-07-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper (Post 49312902)
1) I work at both SSR and OKW.
2) TrustTheScupper, take OKW.
. . . bigger rooms
. . . more theming
. . . mature environment
. . . boat ride to DTD
. . . building architecture is unique
. . . more creative the the "Holiday Inn" approach at SSR
. . . better eateries

Well I hope I get to see you in November, because we will be visiting you at OKW then! (we stayed at the treehouse villas in 2010)

Sheilby 09-07-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizzo1 (Post 49501879)
We are going next spring to WDW and were also undecied between SSR & OKW. However, my hesitation for staying at OKW is that many people who have stayed there say that it can be a long walk to get to the bus 'stop'. (My DH recently had a stroke and is able to walk, but not too far at a time).

Is this correct? If so, I do know to ask to stay near the hospitality house. However, what if there are no rooms available there? Where else should I ask to stay? Is it the same at SSR? Any help is welcomed! :confused:

If you look at the map of OKW you will see that most of the units are near one of the bus stops: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm

You can request to be near one of the bus stops. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's stroke. Have you considered getting him a scooter for his time at Disney? If you rent from an offsite company he can have it at the resort too. There is just so much walking at Disney.