The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help Me Fit It In! Whispering Canyon (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3156871)

TarrahA 08-12-2013 10:43 PM

Help Me Fit It In! Whispering Canyon
 
Thanks to these boards & a quick google review search & I am so regretting not booking Whispering Canyon when I did ADRs 😞 it looks too fun to pass up & I know my DD would drool over the bottomless shakes! I haven't even checked availability yet, but I've come to a conundrum already regarding our schedule & how to fit this one in, so please give me your experienced opinions on what you would do. We are on DDP & I can fit WC in w/o paying OOP if I can score an ADR.

Option 1: Dinner during our 2nd of 2 regular MK dedicated days. We have Chef Mickey's scheduled this morning & will have a late start 9:30-10) in the park but we could do a dinner anywhere from 3-6 pm in order to get back to MK afterwards for fireworks (we'll see MSEP on MK day 1, but will miss fireworks due to CRT ressie at 8:40, so would like to see them this day). Bad thing about this would be less time spent in MK.

Option 2: Late lunch or early dinner in between AK & MNSSHP (prefer dinner, so 3-4pm). This would max time in MK earlier in week, but make our MNSSHP schedule a bit more hectic - we'd have to pack costumes to AK & go straight to WL, then to party after changing in WL or at MK. I was previously hoping to get at least a couple of hours relax time at the resort before the party but my DD is 10, and could probably hold up for the whole day even if we don't.

Option 3: Departure day breakfast or early lunch. We're at POR so traveling to WL via DTD wouldn't be AS inconvenient as others, but still takes a bit of time I hear, so if we did this it would likely be the last big thing we do. We would leave for ME at about 2:30. Previously I was planning on using this day for last minute souvenir shopping DTD, but we'll be there on day 1 or 2 for DQ so I guess we won't miss much (just forced to buy stuff in parks & can't talk ourselves out by waiting it out til last day = more impulse buying) PLUS, I hear the entertainment is better during dinner, which we would not make on this day.

All other days are spoken for on dining. WWYD??? Or am I crazy to want to try for this at all?

tfarr 08-12-2013 11:21 PM

My family tried WC last time we went. Outside of the cornbread we didn't care for the food (overcooked and kinda gross). I had to take my son out because the noise was too loud for him and he started to freak out. Once we left he was fine and happy. As for the shakes there not bad but there only so much shake you can take before you would get sick. If you really want to go I would suggest maybe on your next trip we try a few different places each time we go.

jjl181 08-12-2013 11:23 PM

WCC is a lot of fun, and worth trying! If you have the credits, I'd go for it. I would do dinner myself, so I would go with option #1 for two reasons:
1 - Dinner at WCC starts at 5, so even though you'll be done before the party, the extra time in the park before it starts is always nice, plus a little time at the resort is nice too.
2 - It is so much easier to just head there from MK, and a bit of a dinner break can be a good thing. It's not too far transportation wise and a relaxing boat ride is so much better than the buses.
Good luck and enjoy!

TarrahA 08-12-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarr (Post 49266428)
My family tried WC last time we went. Outside of the cornbread we didn't care for the food (overcooked and kinda gross). I had to take my son out because the noise was too loud for him and he started to freak out. Once we left he was fine and happy. As for the shakes there not bad but there only so much shake you can take before you would get sick. If you really want to go I would suggest maybe on your next trip we try a few different places each time we go.

I'm sorry to hear your son didn't enjoy it 😟 you raise a good point about filling up on shakes, I'd have to intervene after the 2nd one probably if we did it on MNSSHP night - don't need her spewing during the dance party or something, eww. Lol. But really, she goes nuts for a shake with meals so I think she'd love the bottomless idea, even if she only got 2. I could see her easily picking this as a highlight of the whole trip :rotf: And we like to horseplay & she loves to rib on either DBF or I, depending on which one of us "starts" it lol so it just sounds right up our alley!

TarrahA 08-12-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjl181 (Post 49266449)
WCC is a lot of fun, and worth trying! If you have the credits, I'd go for it. I would do dinner myself, so I would go with option #1 for two reasons:
1 - Dinner at WCC starts at 5, so even though you'll be done before the party, the extra time in the park before it starts is always nice, plus a little time at the resort is nice too.
2 - It is so much easier to just head there from MK, and a bit of a dinner break can be a good thing. It's not too far transportation wise and a relaxing boat ride is so much better than the buses.
Good luck and enjoy!

I like your idea on #1, and had forgot about going by boat! This opens up my dinner option a little bit if I could possibly time it to have dinner & watch fireworks from the boat - do they do music on board if so?? Latest ADR on this day was 6:35, would it be realistic or practical to leave MK @ 5:45, do dinner, admire WL for a bit if time allowed after dinner & then take boat back at 8:30-:45 time frame to catch fireworks on the boat?

Would roughly 7 hours on MK day #2 be enough or am I "wasting" a park ticket by wanting to cut it short? I know we'll have the MNSSHP for any make ups also but I'm sure we'll be focused on party events anyhow & won't be doing many rides.

moreisgood 08-12-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarrahA (Post 49266091)
Thanks to these boards & a quick google review search & I am so regretting not booking Whispering Canyon when I did ADRs dde1e it looks too fun to pass up & I know my DD would drool over the bottomless shakes! I haven't even checked availability yet, but I've come to a conundrum already regarding our schedule & how to fit this one in, so please give me your experienced opinions on what you would do. We are on DDP & I can fit WC in w/o paying OOP if I can score an ADR.

Option 1: Dinner during our 2nd of 2 regular MK dedicated days. We have Chef Mickey's scheduled this morning & will have a late start 9:30-10) in the park but we could do a dinner anywhere from 3-6 pm in order to get back to MK afterwards for fireworks (we'll see MSEP on MK day 1, but will miss fireworks due to CRT ressie at 8:40, so would like to see them this day). Bad thing about this would be less time spent in MK.

Option 2: Late lunch or early dinner in between AK & MNSSHP (prefer dinner, so 3-4pm). This would max time in MK earlier in week, but make our MNSSHP schedule a bit more hectic - we'd have to pack costumes to AK & go straight to WL, then to party after changing in WL or at MK. I was previously hoping to get at least a couple of hours relax time at the resort before the party but my DD is 10, and could probably hold up for the whole day even if we don't.

Option 3: Departure day breakfast or early lunch. We're at POR so traveling to WL via DTD wouldn't be AS inconvenient as others, but still takes a bit of time I hear, so if we did this it would likely be the last big thing we do. We would leave for ME at about 2:30. Previously I was planning on using this day for last minute souvenir shopping DTD, but we'll be there on day 1 or 2 for DQ so I guess we won't miss much (just forced to buy stuff in parks & can't talk ourselves out by waiting it out til last day = more impulse buying) PLUS, I hear the entertainment is better during dinner, which we would not make on this day.

All other days are spoken for on dining. WWYD??? Or am I crazy to want to try for this at all?

We just ate there for the first time in June. The food wasn't very good. We got the skillet (now on a platter) dinner, and the only thing my 10 year old daughter would eat was the corn on the cob. She ate 4 ears! The steak was awful, and the fish was worse. The chicken and ribs were just OK. The side dishes were better than the meats.
IMO, it sounds like you already have a great schedule. Leave it alone and try it another time.

TarrahA 08-12-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moreisgood (Post 49266604)

We just ate there for the first time in June. The food wasn't very good. We got the skillet (now on a platter) dinner, and the only thing my 10 year old daughter would eat was the corn on the cob. She ate 4 ears! The steak was awful, and the fish was worse. The chicken and ribs were just OK. The side dishes were better than the meats.
IMO, it sounds like you already have a great schedule. Leave it alone and try it another time.

Oh man! It's not looking good, that's 2-1! I don't think we'll be coming back to WDW for awhile though, so I wanted to get my Must Do's done this go-around just in case it is another 5 yrs before we're back...and now I'm excited just for the boat & fireworks prospect LOL can you tell I have ADD???

Happyjen27 08-13-2013 09:48 AM

I made the mistake my first trip of reading all these trip reports and dining reports and making all kinds of ADRs.

It just made for a hectic trip. The food didn't knock my socks off, and I realized I can eat quite well at home, but I can't always watch my DS hug Mary Poppins.

So, I wouldn't add a meal if it were going to take time away from experiences. I would just skip it this time, enjoy it next time, and hit up a place that has great milkshakes at home. They are all bottomless if you keep buying them.:goodvibes

I should frame this information with the fact that WCC was my FAVORITE meal last trip. We did lunch, and it was relaxing to get to, and was exactly what we expected. Unlike 'Ohana which disappointed and Les Chefs de France which was unpleasant in terms of service and food, and CRT which made me feel like a milking cow being prodded through the steps of what was supposed to be a magical time.

So, I say save WCC for later!

freshmanjs 08-13-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarrahA (Post 49266091)
Thanks to these boards & a quick google review search & I am so regretting not booking Whispering Canyon when I did ADRs 😞 it looks too fun to pass up & I know my DD would drool over the bottomless shakes!

There is something seriously disturbing about the idea that any human needs or wants more than 1 milkshake at a time.

(Not directed at you specifically)

smiths02 08-13-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshmanjs (Post 49269747)
There is something seriously disturbing about the idea that any human needs or wants more than 1 milkshake at a time.

(Not directed at you specifically)

No parenting criticism, but I don't know if bottomless milkshake is a reason to worry if you have the restaurant booked. My 7 year old couldn't even finish one small chick-fil-a milkshake (which is around $3). The milkshakes at WCC are $7 according to online menus.

jjl181 08-13-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarrahA (Post 49266583)
I like your idea on #1, and had forgot about going by boat! This opens up my dinner option a little bit if I could possibly time it to have dinner & watch fireworks from the boat - do they do music on board if so?? Latest ADR on this day was 6:35, would it be realistic or practical to leave MK @ 5:45, do dinner, admire WL for a bit if time allowed after dinner & then take boat back at 8:30-:45 time frame to catch fireworks on the boat?

Would roughly 7 hours on MK day #2 be enough or am I "wasting" a park ticket by wanting to cut it short? I know we'll have the MNSSHP for any make ups also but I'm sure we'll be focused on party events anyhow & won't be doing many rides.

I think your time frame is fine. I'm not sure about the music on the boat, so someone else might be able to answer that.
As for an ADR: If you have a credit that you are going to want to use and are willing to take the trip over, go for it. You know what your family would enjoy most and there is nothing wrong with leaving the park for dinner. And the milkshakes are great! Just get a glass of water too for when it starts to get too heavy.

TarrahA 08-13-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshmanjs (Post 49269747)
There is something seriously disturbing about the idea that any human needs or wants more than 1 milkshake at a time. (Not directed at you specifically)

I hear ya, but we're in TX - Whataburger country, and if you've ever had a whataburger shake, you know why someone would lol and if you haven't, then I guess the saying, "you can't miss what you've never had" is appropriate, albeit sad :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiths02 (Post 49270417)
No parenting criticism, but I don't know if bottomless milkshake is a reason to worry if you have the restaurant booked. My 7 year old couldn't even finish one small chick-fil-a milkshake (which is around $3). The milkshakes at WCC are $7 according to online menus.

But seriously, I doubt she'd try to go for more than 2, it's really just the idea that she COULD, that she'd be in love with. But she'd definitely be able to down a small - she can do a medium usually with no trouble. I'm tellin' ya, this girl LOVES shakes lol, probably because she only gets them on rare occasion b/c we don't do fast food much.

And last time I checked the shakes were included on the DDP as a drink or snack...? Maybe I read some bad info but that's what I was thinking. Wouldn't completely deter me if not tho.

TarrahA 08-13-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyjen27 (Post 49269245)
I made the mistake my first trip of reading all these trip reports and dining reports and making all kinds of ADRs.

It just made for a hectic trip. The food didn't knock my socks off, and I realized I can eat quite well at home, but I can't always watch my DS hug Mary Poppins.

So, I wouldn't add a meal if it were going to take time away from experiences. I would just skip it this time, enjoy it next time, and hit up a place that has great milkshakes at home. They are all bottomless if you keep buying them.:goodvibes

I should frame this information with the fact that WCC was my FAVORITE meal last trip. We did lunch, and it was relaxing to get to, and was exactly what we expected. Unlike 'Ohana which disappointed and Les Chefs de France which was unpleasant in terms of service and food, and CRT which made me feel like a milking cow being prodded through the steps of what was supposed to be a magical time.

So, I say save WCC for later!

Thanks for chiming in! This message is starting to sink in especially since we do already have quite a hectic schedule as it is, and then thinking about whataburger shakes at home...mmmm...I definitely have some thinking to do on this!!! Maybe over a shake for lunch...LOL

TarrahA 08-13-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjl181 (Post 49270498)

I think your time frame is fine. I'm not sure about the music on the boat, so someone else might be able to answer that.
As for an ADR: If you have a credit that you are going to want to use and are willing to take the trip over, go for it. You know what your family would enjoy most and there is nothing wrong with leaving the park for dinner. And the milkshakes are great! Just get a glass of water too for when it starts to get too heavy.

Thanks!!! I'll have to research the boat music or if they even run during that time before committing to it but it *sounds* great in theory. Either way my conundrum has been resolved - it's either option #1 or pass. So thanks for helping me get it straight, or at least less complicated than I was making it :)

L&Lfan 08-13-2013 02:36 PM

We went to Wispering Canyon last May. We enjoyed the food but our server was a disaster! Bad enough that he nearly ruined our visit. We'd absolutely go again but if we're given that server, we're definitely asking for another. Re: the milkshakes...my boyfriend got the bottomless vanilla, but he could only handle one of them. Kinda a shame they don't offer one serving shakes at a lower price. As far as we could tell, although we didn't ask, you can only get a shake there at the bottomless price of 7 bucks. Is that true?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.