The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   HELP pay in full due in 2 weeks. Need advice! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3150724)

TheWescotts 08-01-2013 11:40 AM

HELP pay in full due in 2 weeks. Need advice!
 
OK Dissers, I need you advice on the best way to go about this.

My PIF date is Aug 13 for Oct 27th cruise. I was supposed to get a commission on the 9th that would have covered it but the deal just fell through which is rare. We owe about $2,500 still.

We are traveling with 2 other families so we want to make things work. Commissions will (most likely) be coming in at the end of the month and in September.

Option 1: downgrade to a Cat 11B to lower the balance to $1,900. This will make things tight, but barely manageable. We can then hope to upgrade later based on availability. It might end up costing more for the veranda...or less...or the same.

Option 2: cancel all together, sit on the money and re-book when we can. Running the risk of the ship selling out, prices going up. Also having a chance of special rates being offered.

Option 3: Any other ideas?

Thanks for your input.

TwinPrincessMermaids 08-01-2013 11:53 AM

This is what we did because we were desperate to join our parents for their surprise 45th anniversary DCL cruise. (he planned it 2 weeks after we had just had 3 WDW days AND a 7 Day Carnival cruise... talk about a tight budget 5 weeks apart!)

We got approved for the CHASE Disney Rewards (we just got the free one) and it lets you have 6 months NO INTEREST for your cruise fare.

This will give you 6 months to get more commissions and not cost you your cruise! You also may get $50 on board credit like we did, and all the points you put on it (if you decide use it for on board account) will give you future disney dollars.

We would have missed our parent's cruise if not for this card. Thank you Disney same as cash financing!

Carrie in AZ 08-01-2013 11:57 AM

My advice would be to cancel and wait to cruise/vacation until your finances are more stable and sound. It's hard to swallow but it is what I would do. We had to cancel our first ever cruise two years ago because our vehicle died and we needed to buy a new one. Instead of over-extending ourselves financially, we canceled our cruise. It was painful and we lost over $300 during the process, but it was the right thing to do.

Here we are two years later and still haven't cruised, but we hope to soon.

Good luck!

TheWescotts 08-01-2013 11:59 AM

We have one...but it does not have enough room for the cruise balance due to some recent medical bills. The coming commissions are supposed to pay that down so we can then put the cruise on it.

Thanks though.

MND 08-01-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWescotts (Post 49147611)
OK Dissers, I need you advice on the best way to go about this.

My PIF date is Aug 13 for Oct 27th cruise. I was supposed to get a commission on the 9th that would have covered it but the deal just fell through which is rare. We owe about $2,500 still.

We are traveling with 2 other families so we want to make things work. Commissions will (most likely) be coming in at the end of the month and in September.

Option 1: downgrade to a Cat 11B to lower the balance to $1,900. This will make things tight, but barely manageable. We can then hope to upgrade later based on availability. It might end up costing more for the veranda...or less...or the same.


Option 2: cancel all together, sit on the money and re-book when we can. Running the risk of the ship selling out, prices going up. Also having a chance of special rates being offered.

Option 3: Any other ideas?

Thanks for your input.

I have some other ideas:

Have you thought about other ways to make money? Medical research and selling plasma come to mind. What about selling household possesions or collectables that you have? Day laborer work where you get paid in cash could be another option.

How about dipping into your retirement fund or selling some other investments?

On the other hand, why don't you just put it on your credit card?

Good luck, I hope things work out.

Mike

klr6773 08-01-2013 12:13 PM

Ouch. Ugly situation for sure..sorry you have to make these choices.

I think there are a few things that pop into my head..

Do you have the added expense of non refundable airline tickets or were you driving down?

Are kids involved? Young enough to not remember they were going? Old enough to break your heart when you tell them you have to cancel?

Are you going to have to eat Top Ramen for two weeks because the final payment has drained your bank account?

How sure are you that this next commission check will arrive as planned? Are you going to have any spending money on the cruise if it doesnt?


We are on the Fantasy 10/19 sailing. We booked it last year and actually had to cancel when we thought finances were going to be too tight. We cut up all our credit cards a few years ago and don't have those to "fall back on". The girls (10/6) were bummed, but prob not as much as the Moms. In similar fashion to you, we later received a large dividends check we weren't expecting and were able to pay off a few debts AND pay the cruise in full. Happy ending for our family.


I guess what I'd do in your shoes is look at just how tight the downgrade to an inside stateroom would make the rest of your finances. If everything else will be OK,then downgrade and take the chance of the upgrade at pier.Atleast you're still on the ship! If going on the cruise is going to throw all of your other bills into a spiral, then cancelling is probably (and yes,sadly) the smarter choice..Yes, it might be a little more expensive when you re-book when you receive the check, but you'd have the piece of mind that you're not digger a bigger hole. I doubt there would be a better deal closer to sailing... I'm sure your friends would be disappointed, but surely would understand that finances are a slippery slope....

I will keep my fingers crossed that you end up sailing!

cajunprincess 08-01-2013 12:13 PM

I think at the very least I would downgrade. Is there a downgrade you can do that makes the cruise price comfortable and not so tight on your budget?

I think it would be hard for me to do, but I would probably cancel or push back the date of my cruise. I don't like going into debt for a vacation or prioritizing a "big" vacation over being financially smart. Maybe pushing it back a month or two would be wise?

We are talking right now about pushing ours back to make our budget more comfortable, but we are waiting a little closer to our PIF date in December.

Good luck. I know it's not an easy or fun decision!

Bree 08-01-2013 12:14 PM

My SIL had an emergency and was able to borrow against her life insurance policy. She had the check in hand within 2 business days.

kaseyC 08-01-2013 12:18 PM

I would cancel and reschedule at later date when things were more stable financially. Personally, I would not be able to enjoy myself. Disney cruise vacations will always be here. Who knows, by waiting, you may get a great VGT rate.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

time4dis 08-01-2013 12:19 PM

do NOT borrow money or sacrifice long term investments to make up your trip. Yes you only live once, but making the hard choices and staying the course with financial discipline will reward you much longer, you never know what else can happen. downgrades or rebooking last minute if you still plan to go are solid options, along with skipping an excursion, etc. Disney isn't going anywhere :)

disny_luvr 08-01-2013 12:20 PM

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'd probably cancel. It sounds like money is pretty tight and if you recently had some medical expenses that were put on your credit card you probably shouldn't add more debt to the card, but that is just my opinion. Now, if you don't want to cancel and since you should be getting some commissions at the end of the month, could you put the balance on a credit card and then pay it off when you get the commissions before any interest is incurred? I'm not even sure if that is possible, as we rarely us a credit card, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I really hope things work out and you are able to go on the cruise. Sending pixie dust your way.

ahain 08-01-2013 12:31 PM

It sounds like your finances are pretty tight - at least for now. I would cancel, get the credit card paid down and then re-book the cruise when there's some financial cushion. Otherwise, with food, excursions and other vacation-related expenses, you could be digging yourself deeper into a hole. I would definately NOT take any loans, borrow against insurance, or sell off investments to take the cruise. Good luck.

quickcat 08-01-2013 12:39 PM

If we were in the same situation I would choose to cancel and wait to see if the money comes thru. I would downgrade only if we could easily afford it by downgrading our room.
This is because I am the type of person who would worry the whole time thinking "do we have money to pay for this" and probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I should.
Tough choices- so sorry you have to go through this! :goodvibes

TheWescotts 08-01-2013 12:41 PM

Some update:

1. Putting on a credit card is not a viable option. We don't have a lot of credit card debt, or available room on the card. We don't want to add to that.

2. I have learned the ship has about 230 rooms available right now. making it about 75% full.

So, when the PIF date hits, that number could go up some. GTY rates could become available..or it could sell out quick.

I am leaning to canceling and hoping to rebook. I don't want to dissapoint our 2 daughters and our friends.

Dug720 08-01-2013 12:48 PM

No real advice for this time - just hugs.

In the future, you might think about what I've chosen to do with my upcoming cruise - each paycheck, I put a little on as payment (in my case, I work a second job which gives me a check every week...because this is "bonus" money for me essentially, I take half of that check each week and put it on a Disney gift card (reloading between a couple), then come home and apply that amount to my cruise) so that I'm not stuck with a big lump sum at the PIF date. (Actually I should be able to pay it off before the PIF date.) I realize not everyone can do that much of a check, but even paying $20 each check can help cut down on that balance due.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.