The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   So, I'm a "cheap suit" kinda guy (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3148873)

the_bUg 07-29-2013 10:50 AM

So, I'm a "cheap suit" kinda guy
 
So, I've been hemming and hawing about making reservations for Remy. A while back on the boards I remember seeing in a thread discussing dining attire a post to the effect of "why can't my husband wear jeans, his jeans are worth more than most ppls cheap suits I see".

Don't know why it bothered me so much, but it did. Now, I manage a lumber yard and do inventory and commodity purchasing for it. Not really a suit and tie type of job. I do have a suit jacket, worn about 5 times in the last 3 years that I purchased out of a Sears catalog (a retailer, don't know if y'all have them in the states) before going to see The Phantom of the Opera. About a 100$ jacket. The fit is not perfect, but pretty close and it's a standard black affair hanging in the closet in a garment bag. I have lots of dress slacks. I wear them daily as I feel it's important to look professional in any work environment.

What I'm wondering is if I will stick out like a sore thumb in an environment where the "haves" like to stare and think about how much more money they have than the shabby "have nots".

Maybe I'm just being too self conscious about the whole thing, but I've seriously doubted dining at Remy or have considered spending money on a Tux rental when in my mind I have suitably dressy attire.

So, I guess the question is, are there any other "cheap suit" kinda guys that have dined there and had a good experience, or did you feel out of place. Maybe I should just do the Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic thing and be the beggar at the feast.

*** side note *** This post has more to do with my own feelings than stereotyping the wealthy, please don't take offense.

rcchello 07-29-2013 11:08 AM

This is a Disney ship, we are not talking the QE II. Disney is selling to as broad a segment of society they posibly can. If you met the dress code, who is anyone to complain.

At least you show the taste of wanting to meet the dress code as opposed to someone whose husbands jeans are so expensive they should be exempt. You may not have as expensive clothes but at least you have a better attitude.

My hearing aids are more expensive than most peoples suits, should I BE ABLE TO GO TO Remys naked?

abdgeek 07-29-2013 11:10 AM

Go to Remy and wear your suit coat--DON'T RENT A TUX!!! I'm not a man, but I'm eating at Remy for the first time this month and I won't be super dressed up. I'm wearing dress slacks and a top which is what I always wear to Palo. I don't even bring the blazer to my suit anymore because it's not needed. I've seen plenty of women without them and dressed in various ways--some have dressy dresses, some dress slacks, and some have more casual dresses on.

I know Palo isn't Remy, but the men I've see at Palo for dinner usually have on a pair of slacks and a jacket. I even saw one man who had on what I called casual khakis and no jacket. He didn't seem to be phased by what others were wearing and you shouldn't be either!

When I ate at Victoria & Albert's at WDW, most men were dressed in slacks and a jacket. To me, V&A is on par with Remy. Enjoy Remy and have fun. Whatever you would wear for formal/semi-formal night on the ship(jacket and slacks) should be ok.

mmouse37 07-29-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_bUg (Post 49110305)
So, I've been hemming and hawing about making reservations for Remy. A while back on the boards I remember seeing in a thread discussing dining attire a post to the effect of "why can't my husband wear jeans, his jeans are worth more than most ppls cheap suits I see".

Don't know why it bothered me so much, but it did. Now, I manage a lumber yard and do inventory and commodity purchasing for it. Not really a suit and tie type of job. I do have a suit jacket, worn about 5 times in the last 3 years that I purchased out of a Sears catalog (a retailer, don't know if y'all have them in the states) before going to see The Phantom of the Opera. About a 100$ jacket. The fit is not perfect, but pretty close and it's a standard black affair hanging in the closet in a garment bag. I have lots of dress slacks. I wear them daily as I feel it's important to look professional in any work environment.

What I'm wondering is if I will stick out like a sore thumb in an environment where the "haves" like to stare and think about how much more money they have than the shabby "have nots".

Maybe I'm just being too self conscious about the whole thing, but I've seriously doubted dining at Remy or have considered spending money on a Tux rental when in my mind I have suitably dressy attire.

So, I guess the question is, are there any other "cheap suit" kinda guys that have dined there and had a good experience, or did you feel out of place. Maybe I should just do the Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic thing and be the beggar at the feast.

*** side note *** This post has more to do with my own feelings than stereotyping the wealthy, please don't take offense.

You can absolutely wear what you describe. Really, it won't be a problem and you will not have people staring at you. There really is no aarmy of "haves" staring down at the "have nots". Onboard you will see every type of attire. The cruise is much more casual than you might think. You will be fine in Remy in your "cheap suit" lol!!!:goodvibes. Go and enjoy.

MJ

CdnDisLover 07-29-2013 11:15 AM

As mentioned above, at least you're wanting to meet the dress code requirements. Having just come off the 12 day Med cruise I was shocked by how many people could care less about the dress code. Every night I saw dozens of people in shorts for dinner, and that wasn't just in the dinning rooms, at my Palo dinner and brunch there were also people wearing shorts, flip flops and t-shirts. One thing about Disney, they don't like to say NO to anyone, which is a real shame.

Cruise 07-29-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_bUg (Post 49110305)

What I'm wondering is if I will stick out like a sore thumb in an environment where the "haves" like to stare and think about how much more money they have than the shabby "have nots".

My biggest question for you would be.... why would you care what they're thinking? What you describe sounds fine to me and, from the response above, many others.

Go to Remy, enjoy the good food, stare at your beautiful companion, enjoy the scenery.... don't bother looking at what anyone else is wearing. Anyone who is looking at you and judging your clothing has a warped sense of enjoying a vacation.

Rogillio 07-29-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_bUg (Post 49110305)
What I'm wondering is if I will stick out like a sore thumb in an environment where the "haves" like to stare and think about how much more money they have than the shabby "have nots".



On one of our cruises we met a family in the game room and played games with them. Later that night we saw them at dinner and they were dressed to kill! They were wearing very formal tailored tuxedos and evening gowns. Our slouchy family were in Kakis and dress shirts from JC Penny. But clothes do not indicate 'haves' and 'have-nots'. I suspect our household income was easily 3 or 4x theirs.....but we are simple country folk and put value in different things.

Kez250 07-29-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcchello (Post 49110509)
My hearing aids are more expensive than most peoples suits, should I BE ABLE TO GO TO Remys naked?

:rotfl2:

To the OP, what you're thinking of wearing is perfectly acceptable, smart, comfortable. The aim is to enjoy the food and the company, which you will.

kathi 07-29-2013 01:41 PM

You will be absolutely perfect in what you describe. Go, have a fantastic time and don't give it another moment of worry.

PrincessTrisha 07-29-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogillio (Post 49111687)
On one of our cruises we met a family in the game room and played games with them. Later that night we saw them at dinner and they were dressed to kill! They were wearing very formal tailored tuxedos and evening gowns. Our slouchy family were in Kakis and dress shirts from JC Penny. But clothes do not indicate 'haves' and 'have-nots'. I suspect our household income was easily 3 or 4x theirs.....but we are simple country folk and put value in different things.

So true.

and BTW, my dad has a tux - it cost the same as your suit jacket ($100), he got it when Sid Silver was going out of business - for his $100 he got 2 pairs of pants, a shirt, a vest and the jacket.

He may be dressed to the 9's but he would not consider himself in the "have" category - his tux was just good timing.

MND 07-29-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_bUg (Post 49110305)
So, I've been hemming and hawing about making reservations for Remy. A while back on the boards I remember seeing in a thread discussing dining attire a post to the effect of "why can't my husband wear jeans, his jeans are worth more than most ppls cheap suits I see".

Don't know why it bothered me so much, but it did. Now, I manage a lumber yard and do inventory and commodity purchasing for it. Not really a suit and tie type of job. I do have a suit jacket, worn about 5 times in the last 3 years that I purchased out of a Sears catalog (a retailer, don't know if y'all have them in the states) before going to see The Phantom of the Opera. About a 100$ jacket. The fit is not perfect, but pretty close and it's a standard black affair hanging in the closet in a garment bag. I have lots of dress slacks. I wear them daily as I feel it's important to look professional in any work environment.

What I'm wondering is if I will stick out like a sore thumb in an environment where the "haves" like to stare and think about how much more money they have than the shabby "have nots".

Maybe I'm just being too self conscious about the whole thing, but I've seriously doubted dining at Remy or have considered spending money on a Tux rental when in my mind I have suitably dressy attire.

So, I guess the question is, are there any other "cheap suit" kinda guys that have dined there and had a good experience, or did you feel out of place. Maybe I should just do the Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic thing and be the beggar at the feast.

*** side note *** This post has more to do with my own feelings than stereotyping the wealthy, please don't take offense.

As a rich person, I take offense that you assume I care about other people while I'm at dinner.

To answer your questions, you should be fine with what you plan on wearing. No one will care; particulary us rich. Also, we don't have Sears in the US anymore; however, they seem to be big in Canada. The Sears in downtown Toronto is very nice. Almost nice enough for rich people to shop at.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mike

gumbypee 07-29-2013 01:57 PM

There are sears in us

Wadekind 07-29-2013 01:57 PM

Go
 
I just don't care about strangers. If it is something I want to do I do it.
I'm there to eat good food and enjoy the company of my table mates. If they let me in the front door then I assume I met the dress code.
If what I wore gives other diners something to talk so be it. I never notice what others are wearing (unless its something way out there meant to draw attention) let alone have a comment about it.

Wadekind 07-29-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MND (Post 49112312)
As a rich person, I take offense that you assume I care about other people while I'm at dinner.

To answer your questions, you should be fine with what you plan on wearing. No one will care; particulary us rich. Also, we don't have Sears in the US anymore; however, they seem to be big in Canada. The Sears in downtown Toronto is very nice. Almost nice enough for rich people to shop at.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mike

Stop giving away all of our dining and retail secrets to the less enriched!

AquaDame 07-29-2013 02:06 PM

My husband does not own a suit or jacket or anything at all (can't pull the trigger - keeps hoping to lose more weight and doesn't want to waste money) and rented for our Remy experience. His shoes were far too big and the shirt/jacket did not fit well at all - no one gave us a second glance or twitch of the eye. Everyone was very kind and we had a fabulous meal! :goodvibes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.