The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hotel at Port Canaveral (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3145008)

Twofebboys 07-22-2013 10:26 AM

Hotel at Port Canaveral
 
We are headed out on Disney Magic April 14, 2014 from Port Canaveral. We are going to drive in the night before.

Do you have a recommendation on a hotel? Also, I know there are places that have shuttles from the hotel to the port. Is it better to just park at the port or take a shuttle? Also, will your car be safe at a hotel versus the port?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you!!

dizzi 07-22-2013 10:33 AM

We have done the park the car at the hotel once and I would definitely recommend this. The care is safe. Just as safe I would think as in a parking garage at the terminal. I am sure this can will be or has been debated . But I had no trouble.

The cost is less

The only bad experience we had is it was a long wait are getting off the ship for the ride back to the car. I had 3 cranky teenagers and decided to grab a cab. To go back to my car. It was still less than the parking at the terminal. :confused3

su_A_ve 07-22-2013 11:43 AM

I would avoid leaving the car at the hotel's lot. They are open and not secure as they make you think they are.

PC has several 'park and cruise' lots. These are secured gated lots that also has 24 hours surveillance (or so they say). They are 'better' secure than the hotels.

Both above options also require to use their shuttle service to go to the port or back. With the second, you have the option for the driver to drop the rest of the family and the luggage first and then the only one to use the shuttle. But you still are at the mercy of the the number of passengers they are working with and many have had bad experiences with wait. The hotels are good 15-20 minutes away. The lots are about 10-15 minutes away.

Best is still the port. This is definitely secure and under surveillance and you are under the roof of a garage (unless you park outside).

Finally, some hotels in the PC area participate in a port parking discount program. If you stay at one of these hotels (no need for special rate or anything for most of them) you will get a coupon good for 40% discount to park at the port. The ones I remember are Best Western, La Quinta Inn (not oceanfront), Days Inn, Fairfield Inn.

RHSTigerMom 07-22-2013 12:26 PM

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites and drove right across the bridge to the port/terminal. We parked in the VIP area, which is a little more and uncovered, but is only about 100 yards from the terminal and you don't have to fool with stairs or elevators. When we disembarked, we were able to walk out, throw the luggage in the van and hit the road. The lines for the hotel shuttles were ridiculous.

su_A_ve 07-22-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHSTigerMom (Post 49040080)
We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites and drove right across the bridge to the port/terminal. We parked in the VIP area, which is a little more and uncovered, but is only about 100 yards from the terminal and you don't have to fool with stairs or elevators. When we disembarked, we were able to walk out, throw the luggage in the van and hit the road. The lines for the hotel shuttles were ridiculous.

FYI - When we parked at the garage last year, we parked literally next to the bridge that goes from the garage to the Terminal.

We only dealt with escalators. Walked a bit more, but inside instead that under the hot FL sun.

Unless you have mobility issues, the VIP section is not worth the extra money.

Magic3forme 07-22-2013 01:41 PM

we stay at the Residence Inn (nice hot breakfast in the morning)
... it is a quick drive to the terminal.

we choose to park at the terminal. Its great to walk off the ship and go right to the car.

Deb in IA 07-22-2013 03:22 PM

We have always used the Radisson at the Port.

http://www.radisson.com/cape-canaver...-32920/flcocoa

atwood 07-22-2013 03:26 PM

We stayed at best western at cocoa beach. We got a discount on parking at the terminal. It was vey nice and the people were awesome

Twofebboys 07-22-2013 03:44 PM

Thank you for your replies!

I found a rate of $122.61 at the Best Western in Cocoa Beach! They also give you a 40% off coupon for the port. DH did not want to leave the car at the hotel, plus deal with a shuttle. (We are never late...always on time!) That is a better rate than you get with Best Western because you have a Costco Membership!

su_A_ve 07-22-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twofebboys (Post 49042289)
Thank you for your replies!

I found a rate of $122.61 at the Best Western in Cocoa Beach! They also give you a 40% off coupon for the port. DH did not want to leave the car at the hotel, plus deal with a shuttle. (We are never late...always on time!) That is a better rate than you get with Best Western because you have a Costco Membership!

Make sure you check the rate. Many of the hotels have a park and cruise rate, which is higher than their internet or AAA rate. This rate is meant for you to leave the car at the hotel and they will shuttle you.

We stayed last year at the La Quinta Inn and originally had a reservation for the Best Western. Then, they told us that the AAA rate would also include the coupon. Then we noticed a 'cruise special' rate which was the same as the AAA rate that mentioned the coupon - since it had the same cancellation restrictions (I think it was 48 hrs in advance of arrival) we used that to make sure.

wiigirl 07-22-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb in IA (Post 49042005)
We have always used the Radisson at the Port.

http://www.radisson.com/cape-canaver...-32920/flcocoa

:thumbsup2

Twofebboys 07-22-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by su_A_ve (Post 49042475)
Make sure you check the rate. Many of the hotels have a park and cruise rate, which is higher than their internet or AAA rate. This rate is meant for you to leave the car at the hotel and they will shuttle you.

We stayed last year at the La Quinta Inn and originally had a reservation for the Best Western. Then, they told us that the AAA rate would also include the coupon. Then we noticed a 'cruise special' rate which was the same as the AAA rate that mentioned the coupon - since it had the same cancellation restrictions (I think it was 48 hrs in advance of arrival) we used that to make sure.


You are not correct about this one. This is a 14 Day advanced purchase rate. See the pictures below. We are not parking and cruising. We are staying and using the 40% discount coupon at the port. I called to verify. It is a great rate!


http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...2at43137PM.png

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...2at43210PM.png

atwood 07-22-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twofebboys (Post 49042289)
Thank you for your replies!

I found a rate of $122.61 at the Best Western in Cocoa Beach! They also give you a 40% off coupon for the port. DH did not want to leave the car at the hotel, plus deal with a shuttle. (We are never late...always on time!) That is a better rate than you get with Best Western because you have a Costco Membership!

We were very happy there. We actually got there a night early and they had a room for us. Got to have a day at the beach. They were super nice and you are close to the terminal. The coupon is also a huge discount! Hope you enjoy!

KyCruisinSusan 07-22-2013 08:54 PM

We stayed at the Radisson the night before our 04 cruise and they shuttled us to the port. Car stayed in their lot and it was just fine when we got back a week later, just like we left it. Even had a mini Dismeet at the hotel the night before :cool1:

100AcreWood 07-22-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twofebboys (Post 49042289)
Thank you for your replies!

I found a rate of $122.61 at the Best Western in Cocoa Beach! They also give you a 40% off coupon for the port. DH did not want to leave the car at the hotel, plus deal with a shuttle. (We are never late...always on time!) That is a better rate than you get with Best Western because you have a Costco Membership!

You booked the Best Western through Costco?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.