The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Have you gotten a free cabin upgrade? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3141263)

jasmine91 07-14-2013 10:31 PM

Have you gotten a free cabin upgrade?

We have heard that sometimes, at check in, some guests are offered free room upgrades! I am just curious how common this is?

Dug720 07-14-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasmine91 (Post 48965899)
We have heard that sometimes, at check in, some guests are offered free room upgrades! I am just curious how common this is?

As I understand it, the free ones are rare. There are sometimes upgrades offered for an additional fee, but only if there are cabins available.

TXDCLfan 07-14-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasmine91 (Post 48965899)

10 cruises and 0 upgrades:sad:

twentytoez 07-14-2013 11:38 PM

What type of original booking did you have?

su_A_ve 07-14-2013 11:40 PM

Our first cruise we booked OGT and got a 5e verandah. Nothing on the second cruise (kids sail free)

lbgraves 07-14-2013 11:54 PM

I haven't heard of anyone being given a free upgrade when they check in, but it does happen before the cruise date. We found out we got an upgrade from cat 11 to cat 8 on our first cruise when I went to the TA and paid the balance. The room number was on the receipt. The TA had no idea what that meant but I could tell that it was an outside room because it was an even number. :) Third cruise I was checking to see if we had been moved to early dining & the day we were, I also noticed that our room was changed. We and our friends we were linked to were both moved from a cat 8 to a cat 4. Nothing since, but we book what we will be happy with.

woody73 07-15-2013 01:00 AM

We received free upgrades a few times before disembarkation day.

Woody

cwdefouw 07-15-2013 07:40 AM

On our first cruise, we had two cat 7's booked and both were upgraded to cat 4's a week before the cruise. This was in 2001. We have now sailed nine times and never been upgraded since. Based on experience and this board, if you are hoping for an upgrade at the port, for free, that is most likely wishful thinking. Certainly not impossible, but chances are very slim.

com_op_2000 07-15-2013 08:06 AM

We reserved an inside stateroom but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was.
When the luggage was delivered it still had the tags for the old room # on them.

Denine 07-15-2013 08:32 AM

13 cruises and no upgrades. We book the cabin we will be happy in.

MikeAndNick 07-15-2013 08:39 AM

I was upgraded from inside to veranda on a tran-Atlantic cruise. They did it about 2 or 3 months before our cruise.

jasmine91 07-15-2013 09:07 AM

Ok, we booked a navigator's verandah room and will be happy with it I am sure! But, it sure would be nice to get a verandah! We have heard that discounted upgrades are more common than free. We'll see!

MikeAndNick 07-15-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasmine91 (Post 48968268)
Ok, we booked a navigator's verandah room and will be happy with it I am sure! But, it sure would be nice to get a verandah! We have heard that discounted upgrades are more common than free. We'll see!

I have been in the navigators veranda and I would rather have it than a regular veranda. You have the veranda but you have more privacy and protection from the wind and rain.

disneybass 07-15-2013 09:39 AM

We booked a 7A for a 3 night Dream cruise in August and were upgraded to a 5A about 45 days before sailing.

Mousemom 07-15-2013 09:43 AM

We were booked in a Navigator's Verandah and did not have a room assigned until this weekend. Our cruise in in September. The stateroom number was posted this weekend. I don't know if there was a mistake and it will be changed/corrected but our travel agent said it looks like they upgraded us to a 5A Verandah room. I was not expecting any upgrade so if this is the case we will be happy but would be happy in any room. Just getting to go on a cruise to the Bahamas is awesome. We don't plan on being in our room much but having a verandah to sit on in the evening with a drink in hand or having a cup of coffee in the morning is a treat.