The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Osbourne Lights gone for 2014? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3140276)

doconeill 07-12-2013 08:44 PM

Osbourne Lights gone for 2014?
 
I'm surprised this doesn't appear to be here yet...

I'm hearing from several different independent CM sources that this year may be the last year for Osbourne Lights at DHS...

This goes along with rumors that LMA will be done within the next year, and that it and Streets of America would be rebuilt into at least parts of the Cars and Star Wars areas.

I don't know is this necessarily means the end of the lights altogether...I can think of other potential locations for them, but I don't know if Disney wants the expense anymore...after all, they didn't want to put up Lights of Winter at Epcot any more, and that was tiny in comparison.

luv2sleep 07-12-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doconeill (Post 48946295)
I'm surprised this doesn't appear to be here yet...

I'm hearing from several different independent CM sources that this year may be the last year for Osbourne Lights at DHS...

This goes along with rumors that LMA will be done within the next year, and that it and Streets of America would be rebuilt into at least parts of the Cars and Star Wars areas.

I don't know is this necessarily means the end of the lights altogether...I can think of other potential locations for them, but I don't know if Disney wants the expense anymore...after all, they didn't want to put up Lights of Winter at Epcot any more, and that was tiny in comparison.

Wow I hope not! We are going this holiday season thank goodness to see it for the first time but was thinking about going again next year. That would be a bummer if this was the last year. :(

Btw, what's LMA?

doconeill 07-12-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 48946320)
Btw, what's LMA?

Lights Motors Action

luv2sleep 07-12-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doconeill (Post 48946348)

Lights Motors Action

:( We missed that last visit (our first visit). Will make sure we catch it this time.

darnheather 07-12-2013 08:59 PM

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3138860

doconeill 07-12-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darnheather (Post 48946414)

doh! I looked, but for some reason I didn't see that...seems that it's really heating up today though...

WDWGeek1971 07-13-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doconeill
I don't know is this necessarily means the end of the lights altogether...I can think of other potential locations for them, but I don't know if Disney wants the expense anymore...after all, they didn't want to put up Lights of Winter at Epcot any more, and that was tiny in comparison.

They moved them once before from the residential street in the backlot to the current location. I would stop coming for the holidays if the lights were to be discontinued. I am still bitter about the lights of winter being discontinued.

TinkerBella17 07-15-2013 03:02 PM

I hope they don't get rid of them forever :sad1:

pieface 07-16-2013 01:17 PM

I agree if they do away with Osborne light I will discontinue my trip for the Christmas season. It was a blow when they removed the lights at Epcot this would be the final straw. I do most of my Christmas shopping there and spend quite a bit of money.

Mac4life30 07-16-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDWGeek1971 (Post 48950158)
They moved them once before from the residential street in the backlot to the current location. I would stop coming for the holidays if the lights were to be discontinued. I am still bitter about the lights of winter being discontinued.

I miss the lights of Winter!!

luv2sleep 07-16-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac4life30 (Post 48982290)

I miss the lights of Winter!!

Why was that discontinued?

doconeill 07-16-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 48982488)
Why was that discontinued?

The tech was "too old" for them to fix...at least that was the excuse.

RSWA2 07-16-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doconeill (Post 48982495)
The tech was "too old" for them to fix...at least that was the excuse.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/...hway-at-epcot/

I wonder why they can't just replace them with LED lights instead. In our area the last few years, the electric company has offered free LED x-mas lights when you trade in your older incandescent ones.

doconeill 07-16-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSWA2 (Post 48984326)
http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/...hway-at-epcot/

I wonder why they can't just replace them with LED lights instead. In our area the last few years, the electric company has offered free LED x-mas lights when you trade in your older incandescent ones.

It wasn't the lights themselves, but the controllers that were obsolete.

MonorailLime 07-17-2013 10:06 PM

There is strong consideration to moving the lights onto Hollywood Blvd and downsizing them.
Streets of America is unique -- it's a "land" with no attraction, merchandise, or Food and Beverage locations. The only real operational use for it is for Osborne Lights. That's a lot of unused real estate generating no money and offering very little in utilized capacity.
When Streets of America debuted, it was part of the Backlot Tour. The trams would drive through the section and one could see a "bank robbery" scene on the street. Through the years, Backlot Tour has been downsized, shrunken, and forgotten in terms of creative design.
Hollywood Studios could only benefit at this point from reinventing this space. The entire south corner of the park is dead at night, causing overcrowding everywhere else.
Also, Osborne Lights were originally billed as a "temporary" offering. It was through surprise amounts of positive metrics that they have survived this long. The Techs that install, run, and remove the show are seldom Disney techs. They are normally Techs from the local union hall -- more expensive to employ as they aren't eligible for benefits, and must be coompensated in cash for per diem, healthcare, etc.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.