The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Disney Says Wristband Boosts Sales in Disney World Test (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3140057)

crazy4wdw 07-12-2013 11:43 AM

Disney Says Wristband Boosts Sales in Disney World Test
 
From Bloomberg News:

Quote:

Disney Says Wristband Boosts Sales in Disney World Test
By Christopher Palmeri - Jul 12, 2013 12:01 AM ET

Electronic wristbands tested at Walt Disney Co. (DIS)s Florida resort succeeded in boosting spending by guests, parks division Chairman Thomas Staggs said.

The bands serve as admission tickets, hotel room keys and credit cards. They were tested by 1,000 people at Walt Disney World in Florida, Staggs said in an interview at Allen & Co.s annual conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, without offering details. Guests spent more on average in part because they had fun with the technology, he said.
Rest of article here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

Spacedog1975 07-12-2013 11:46 AM

No surprises here.
I hope the successful test will expedite the live rollout.

DJRosko 07-12-2013 12:32 PM

I'm curious to see if the 3 fastpass limit is going to stay... And it doesn't allow for park hopping...

Lewisc 07-12-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRosko (Post 48941987)
I'm curious to see if the 3 fastpass limit is going to stay... And it doesn't allow for park hopping...

The goal is to increase guest spending. Spreading out your day with 3 FP+ for one park gives you enough time to "enjoy shopping". Running from park to park..not so much.

Spacedog1975 07-12-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewisc (Post 48942034)
The goal is to increase guest spending. Spreading out your day with 3 FP+ for one park gives you enough time to "enjoy shopping". Running from park to park..not so much.

Perhaps, but it cuts into selling the value of the park hopper addon.

tjkraz 07-12-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 (Post 48943126)
Perhaps, but it cuts into selling the value of the park hopper addon.

Agree.

I've always been in favor of the FP+ concept, but its ultimate value depends greatly upon the implementation. Disney is walking a fine line in relation to guest satisfaction. If the concept proves to be a big turn-off, it won't take much of a decline in guest traffic to offset sales gains.

Personally I think the limit of 3 FPs is a bit too restrictive.

If they at least expand it for on-site guests--allowing 5 or 6 FP+ per day--that will help a lot. Disney charges an awful big premium for staying in its hotels and other than picking your color of wristband, there doesn't appear to be any resort guest FP+ benefit yet.

FastPass is a core part of the experience they have provided for nearly 20 years now. This is one change that Disney cannot haphazardly shove down the throats of its guests, and assume everyone will happily adapt.

disneyworld1977 07-12-2013 03:16 PM

I am still confused over this stuff. But when is it suppose to "roll out"?

Reddog1134 07-12-2013 03:39 PM

The 3 FP limit doesn't really bother me. I don't think I've ever used 3 FP in a single day. Of course, I don't go during the really busy season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 (Post 48943811)
I am still confused over this stuff. But when is it suppose to "roll out"?

No official word yet, but I've heard "late this year to early next year".

ChipnDale79 07-12-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkraz (Post 48943395)
Agree.

I've always been in favor of the FP+ concept, but its ultimate value depends greatly upon the implementation. Disney is walking a fine line in relation to guest satisfaction. If the concept proves to be a big turn-off, it won't take much of a decline in guest traffic to offset sales gains.

Personally I think the limit of 3 FPs is a bit too restrictive.

If they at least expand it for on-site guests--allowing 5 or 6 FP+ per day--that will help a lot. Disney charges an awful big premium for staying in its hotels and other than picking your color of wristband, there doesn't appear to be any resort guest FP+ benefit yet.

FastPass is a core part of the experience they have provided for nearly 20 years now. This is one change that Disney cannot haphazardly shove down the throats of its guests, and assume everyone will happily adapt.

I like a lot of what they are doing with the RFID program, but I'm not a fan of the proposed Fast Pass Plus, I don't want to schedule fast passes well in advance, I like to plan, but not that much.

Angel Ariel 07-12-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewisc (Post 48942034)
The goal is to increase guest spending. Spreading out your day with 3 FP+ for one park gives you enough time to "enjoy shopping". Running from park to park..not so much.

I'll concede I may be the odd one out here, but no amount of FP restrictions are going to make me buy more merchandise. I go with a budget for souvenirs/food...nothing Disney does is going to change it :confused3

Spacedog1975 07-12-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkraz (Post 48943395)
Personally I think the limit of 3 FPs is a bit too restrictive.

If they at least expand it for on-site guests--allowing 5 or 6 FP+ per day--that will help a lot. Disney charges an awful big premium for staying in its hotels and other than picking your color of wristband, there doesn't appear to be any resort guest FP+ benefit yet.

FastPass is a core part of the experience they have provided for nearly 20 years now. This is one change that Disney cannot haphazardly shove down the throats of its guests, and assume everyone will happily adapt.

I agree with this. There should be a FP+ benefit for resort guests. I'm still annoyed that EMH has shrunk. I'm hoping that decision eventually reverses.

EMH is a big reason I can convince people that they want to stay on site. There is nothing like being in MK after midnight :)

DCTooTall 07-12-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkraz (Post 48943395)
Agree.

I've always been in favor of the FP+ concept, but its ultimate value depends greatly upon the implementation. Disney is walking a fine line in relation to guest satisfaction. If the concept proves to be a big turn-off, it won't take much of a decline in guest traffic to offset sales gains.

Personally I think the limit of 3 FPs is a bit too restrictive.

If they at least expand it for on-site guests--allowing 5 or 6 FP+ per day--that will help a lot. Disney charges an awful big premium for staying in its hotels and other than picking your color of wristband, there doesn't appear to be any resort guest FP+ benefit yet.

FastPass is a core part of the experience they have provided for nearly 20 years now. This is one change that Disney cannot haphazardly shove down the throats of its guests, and assume everyone will happily adapt.

Fastpass hasn't been around that long. It wasn't introduced until 1999 (per Wiki), which sounds about right since I can remember for a fact it wasn't around in December '97 on my last "teen" trip.


So Fastpasses have existed for a little under 15yrs, not quite "nearly 20".

/nitpick


;)

DCTooTall 07-12-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 (Post 48944577)
I agree with this. There should be a FP+ benefit for resort guests. I'm still annoyed that EMH has shrunk. I'm hoping that decision eventually reverses.

EMH is a big reason I can convince people that they want to stay on site. There is nothing like being in MK after midnight :)

Sadly I remember being in the MK after midnight as a kid... BEFORE EMH even existed. (including when there were only 2.. and then only 3 parks).

These days I'm more inclined to use EMH as a selling point on which part to AVOID during the day since it tends to make the EMH park even more crowded during the regular park hours.

tjkraz 07-12-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 (Post 48944129)
I like a lot of what they are doing with the RFID program, but I'm not a fan of the proposed Fast Pass Plus, I don't want to schedule fast passes well in advance, I like to plan, but not that much.

I don't think people will have to plan nearly as much as they think.

When you consider the number of attractions & experiences which have added FPs and the current limit of 3 per guest, the FP system will have a lot more capacity than anyone seems to believe. They are also grouping attractions so you will be forced to choose ONE option from a half-dozen or more headliners.

Simply put, they aren't going to run out of FPs for the Magic Kingdom Mountains at the 59 day mark because there will be more FP+ ride times than guests will even be able to book. In almost every case, I believe guests will be able to use their smartphone or an in-park kiosk to get their desired FP+ rides same-day.

Meanwhile you also receive the secondary benefits of not having to criss-cross the parks claiming those ride tickets and you get to choose your exact ride time window.

That said, I think the limit of 3 rides per day is going to be a major turn-off and could discourage many from visiting the parks. Even if it turns out that most guests can do just as much in a day with just the 3 FP+ rides, psychologically it's going to be very tough to convince guests that they're coming out ahead when they only get the 3 daily line-cuts and have to use Standby for a dozen or more other attractions.

And like another poster said, wristbands and FP+ aren't going to encourage me to spend more time (or money) in Disney's gift shops.

monorailrabbit 07-12-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 (Post 48944577)
I agree with this. There should be a FP+ benefit for resort guests. I'm still annoyed that EMH has shrunk. I'm hoping that decision eventually reverses.

EMH is a big reason I can convince people that they want to stay on site. There is nothing like being in MK after midnight :)

Yup! I agree there should be some sort of perk again for being onsite! :thumbsup2 And also very sad about decreased EMH :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.