The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New RFID mugs coming to WDW resorts.... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137599)

HockeyMomNH 07-07-2013 08:27 PM

New RFID mugs coming to WDW resorts....

I didn't see a thread yet.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013...lt-disney.html

I'm not surprised really.

faindrops27 07-07-2013 08:29 PM

Yes this is posted already. Same thing rfid is taking over.

Princess Katherine 07-07-2013 08:30 PM

Update all the products!

Katie

HockeyMomNH 07-07-2013 08:30 PM

Oh, sorry for the duplicate thread then. I haven't been on much this weekend.

bwang123 07-07-2013 08:37 PM

now they can track me around the resort as i drink my morning cup of high fructose corn syrup. i wonder if they will tie the RFID mugs into instant FP+ to the bathrooms. Pour a drink and 1 hour later, your FP+ restroom experience is automatically added to your magic band.

Magpie 07-07-2013 09:14 PM

Thank you for posting about this! I hadn't seen it before either.

This should pretty much eliminate the problem of people reusing old resort mugs. :rotfl2:

Crazie4daMouse 07-07-2013 09:24 PM

We just went on a Royal Caribbean cruise and they had this type of refillable cup for guests who purchased a beverage card. It was very easy to use and not a big deal at all to us.

jthelman 07-07-2013 09:29 PM

Now if we could just eliminate the mugs....

We bought them once, years ago, then realized that unless you wanted to chain yourself to the mug, it would live in the room.

We were thirsty a lot but were always on the way to a bus, or the room was always too far just to retrieve the mug for a refill.

It would be cool to just have the RFID wristband substitute for the mug!

surferdave 07-07-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthelman (Post 48889213)

We bought them once, years ago, then realized that unless you wanted to chain yourself to the mug, it would live in the room.

We were thirsty a lot but were always on the way to a bus, or the room was always too far just to retrieve the mug for a refill.

You're right! I think I'm done with the resort mugs, high tech or not. I'd be a lot better off loading the room fridge with drinks and grabbing one as I come and go.

andyman8 07-07-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surferdave (Post 48889320)
You're right! I think I'm done with the resort mugs, high tech or not. I'd be a lot better off loading the room fridge with drinks and grabbing one as I come and go.

This! That said, I'm hearing some rumors that this might be the first step in a multi-phase process of starting a WDW-wide (meaning theme parks, water parks, DTD, and resorts) refillable mug rollout; I would invest in that for convenience, but for now, I'm not buying a resort mug.

Anyways, I started a thread about it a couple days back on the restaurants forum!:thumbsup2

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post48889324

ConvenientTruth 07-07-2013 10:06 PM

5 years from now...

$20 cups

$100 tickets

$175 a night at a value resort

$12+ for a counter service meal.

I don't know....it is getting to the point where the price doesn't match the value....

bdoyledimou 07-07-2013 10:10 PM

we had the rfid mugs at AS Sports-- they stopped working as soon as a hot beverage was put in the mug. we spent quite a but of time standing in line getting new mugs.

kymom99 07-07-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazie4daMouse (Post 48889160)
We just went on a Royal Caribbean cruise and they had this type of refillable cup for guests who purchased a beverage card. It was very easy to use and not a big deal at all to us.

Hey, us too! When/where did you go? We went on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on June 14th. My son had an absolute ball! We liked the mugs too, but they could have had a few more drink stations.

kymom99 07-07-2013 10:34 PM

The thing about the drink deal on the cruise that was convenient was that you could get a drink without the mug also. They put a decal on the seapass card so you just had to show the bartender or whoever and they would give you a glass of coke. So the mug was nice, but you didn't have to lug it around everywhere.
I think it will be a good way to cut down on abuse that everyone complains about and will allow people to tailor their mug plan to meet their needs.

meredith1 07-07-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthelman (Post 48889213)

You're hired....for the best idea since the inception of the RFID frenzy. :thumbsup2