The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Favorite DVC Resort for a Family (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3132502)

jaykorf001 06-26-2013 08:42 PM

Favorite DVC Resort for a Family
 
My friend is planning her family's first trip to WDW for March. It will be 4 adults (couple and parents) and three kids ages 9, 7, and 4. What is everyone's favorite DVC and why? Will the GF DVC be done by March 2014? I assume it might be tough sledding to get a spot there but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

MinnieGirl33 06-27-2013 07:26 AM

For families with young kids, most will suggest BC, primarily for the pool & location.

The first reservations for VGF were available to members for check in dates beginning October 23 IIRC.

robinb 06-27-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 (Post 48792551)
For families with young kids, most will suggest BC, primarily for the pool & location.

The first reservations for VGF were available to members for check in dates beginning October 23 IIRC.

I agree with the Beach Club and small children. I think they would also enjoy a savannah view over at AKV.

The VGF is open now for booking in the 7-month window for dates starting 1/1/2014. I assume the the OP's friend will be renting points. She can rent now with a VGF owner in the 11-month window at a premium or she can wait until the 7-month window opens up in August. She will need to find someone willing to get online/call as soon as that window opens in the morning. If she books through David's DVC By Request he will find someone motivated enough to do it. FWIW, now will be the easiest time to book at VGF since there are so few owners to fill the rooms in the 11-month window.

stargazertechie 06-27-2013 07:53 AM

I'm going to suggest OKW- it's got the largest rooms and with that many people they will appreciate the extra space!

pepe of ohio 06-27-2013 08:02 AM

You're going to get every villa on property as the best, might as well throw in our choice..

Wilderness Lodge Villa... Based on location.. On Bay Lake... lake breezes always blowing, excellent boat ride to the MK, FW, and CR. the access to 3 monorail resorts a stones throw away is great for eating, shopping and lounging plus their arcades...

Marionnette 06-27-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinb (Post 48792617)
I agree with the Beach Club and small children. I think they would also enjoy a savannah view over at AKV.

The VGF is open now for booking in the 7-month window for dates starting 1/1/2014. I assume the the OP's friend will be renting points. She can rent now with a VGF owner in the 11-month window at a premium or she can wait until the 7-month window opens up in August. She will need to find someone willing to get online/call as soon as that window opens in the morning. If she books through David's DVC By Request he will find someone motivated enough to do it. FWIW, now will be the easiest time to book at VGF since there are so few owners to fill the rooms in the 11-month window.

From what I have seen, VGF reservations are renting at the crazy rate of $16/pt. right now. If the OP wants to be near the MK and the monorail, she might want to also consider BLT just for the convenience of the location and the cheaper cost per pts. Added bonus, you can walk to the MK from BLT but you need to take the monorail or boat to get to VGF.

jaykorf001 06-27-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinb (Post 48792617)
I agree with the Beach Club and small children. I think they would also enjoy a savannah view over at AKV.

The VGF is open now for booking in the 7-month window for dates starting 1/1/2014. I assume the the OP's friend will be renting points. She can rent now with a VGF owner in the 11-month window at a premium or she can wait until the 7-month window opens up in August. She will need to find someone willing to get online/call as soon as that window opens in the morning. If she books through David's DVC By Request he will find someone motivated enough to do it. FWIW, now will be the easiest time to book at VGF since there are so few owners to fill the rooms in the 11-month window.

Thanks. Yes, she's planning to rent points thru Dave's.

She's familiar with BC in the sense that another friend stayed there with her family this past spring. I have read, of course with a grain of salt, that many people find the busing system for the Epcot resorts problematic. I know it's a great location for Epcot and HS. I've also been reading that the BC villas are a little tired. However, I think this would be a bigger deal for me than her.

robinb 06-27-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marionnette (Post 48792836)
From what I have seen, VGF reservations are renting at the crazy rate of $16/pt. right now. If the OP wants to be near the MK and the monorail, she might want to also consider BLT just for the convenience of the location and the cheaper cost per pts. Added bonus, you can walk to the MK from BLT but you need to take the monorail or boat to get to VGF.

If she waits until the 7-month window she won't have to pay a premium for renting out the points for VGF. But, you're right. BLT is right there. However, I think the rooms are quite small at BLT so it's rarely on my radar.

robinb 06-27-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykorf001 (Post 48792876)
Thanks. Yes, she's planning to rent points thru Dave's.

She's familiar with BC in the sense that another friend stayed there with her family this past spring. I have read, of course with a grain of salt, that many people find the busing system for the Epcot resorts problematic. I know it's a great location for Epcot and HS. I've also been reading that the BC villas are a little tired. However, I think this would be a bigger deal for me than her.

There are "issues" with every resort at WDW and the bus system is one of them for the Epcot resorts. I don't know what came first, the chicken or the egg. Is the bus system crappy because no one takes it so they don't have to run them often, or does no one take the bus because it's crappy? In any case, I wouldn't let the bus system be a deal breaker.

mickeynut1 06-27-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykorf001 (Post 48790124)
My friend is planning her family's first trip to WDW for March. It will be 4 adults (couple and parents) and three kids ages 9, 7, and 4. What is everyone's favorite DVC and why? Will the GF DVC be done by March 2014? I assume it might be tough sledding to get a spot there but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

We haven't stayed in any of the villas so I can't comment on one over another from experience, but if I had to choose one, my first choice would be VGF, followed by VWL and BLT. We love the MK area, as well as the variety of dining options among all of the MK resorts :goodvibes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 (Post 48792551)
The first reservations for VGF were available to members for check in dates beginning October 23 IIRC.

Cash reservations are also available :). I got a quote for a 1 bedroom villa as we were considering staying there for a few nights in December.

jaykorf001 06-27-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinb (Post 48792927)
There are "issues" with every resort at WDW and the bus system is one of them for the Epcot resorts. I don't know what came first, the chicken or the egg. Is the bus system crappy because no one takes it so they don't have to run them often, or does no one take the bus because it's crappy? In any case, I wouldn't let the bus system be a deal breaker.

Agreed. No resort and no location perfect for all the parks. I just wondered, assuming they're spending most of their time at MK, whether that location would be good. Obviously BC has the best pool for the kids.

She told me money is not much of an issue (although I'm not sure she truly understands how much VGF might be) -- faint. Since its brand new and so close to MK that's probably what I'd try for assuming I could afford it. I assume there'll be a new pool with the DVC there? Does anyone know anything about it?

Her husband is a foodie and they're planning to go out to eat a couple nights while her parents keep the kids. I suggested bluezoo(sp?) The Todd English restaurant at the Swolphin, and Victoria and Alberts -- maybe Jiko.

jimandami 06-27-2013 10:38 AM

We have stayed at BWV, BCV, BLT, AKV, and SSR. Truthfully, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the DVC resorts, although we all have our favorites! We love the Epcot area so would probably recommend BCV, but we also really enjoyed BLT. The 2 bedroom was huge, and the 3 bathrooms was a big plus! The walk to MK was nice as well.

spiceycat 06-27-2013 01:42 PM

first of all dave isn't paying owners of BLT enough and would say probably will not at VGF - he plays the member $11 per point - it was $10 per point - no matter where they own.

so if I can rent my BLT points for $14 per point - won't use Dave

VGF can definitely see being $16 a point.

with BLT you can walk to the MK - 5 to 10 minutes depending upon how fast you go - with small kids (if you let them walk) maybe even longer - there is a lot to look at on the way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.