The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Baby Veronica is going home!!!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131670)

Nennie 06-25-2013 10:57 AM

Baby Veronica is going home!!!!
 
Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the adoptive parents:

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...-baby-veronica

wvjules 06-25-2013 10:58 AM

I'm sorry to hear that.

ETA: She's not going home. She's being ripped from her HOME all in the name of the law.

palmtreegirl 06-25-2013 11:01 AM

That's so sad.

Belle0101 06-25-2013 11:09 AM

From the article the OP linked:

"A family court in South Carolina ruled in Brown’s favor, and the S.C. Supreme Court later agreed with the lower judges. Veronica was sent in late 2011 to live with Brown in Oklahoma, where she has been ever since."

If I understand that right, two South Carolina court ruled in favor of the biological dad.

So the adoptive parents continued the fight, taking it to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvjules (Post 48774896)
I'm sorry to hear that.

I think I'm with you, I'm a little sorry to hear that too.

Coonhound 06-25-2013 11:14 AM

That poor child. She must be so confused. I think what the Capobiancos have done is unforgivable. I feel angry for her father's sake. She never should have been adopted to the C's to begin with. I feel really angry with our legal system at this point. I am all for adoption but this was not adoption it was legalized kidnapping.

wiigirl 06-25-2013 11:14 AM

:guilty:

mom2girls1974 06-25-2013 11:19 AM

If I am reading this article right they court did not go in favour of the adoptive parents, but in favour of the birth father (who refused to pay child support -which led to the birth mother putting her up for adoption).

I am adopted, and I know my mom has told me a couple times that this was always her biggest worry in adopting, back then (the early 70's) there was a "grace period" where the birth mother could change her mind, and my mom was always very concerned that she would -she got full "rights" when my brother and I were both 3 months old. This child is a lot more than 3 months old -I just can not imagine the pain being inflicted on the family, the child so many people. My heart is breaking.

I hope this does not set a very bad precedent of young children being removed from loving homes! Adopted children should be aloud to feel as safe in their homes as any other kids -and honestly if their parents have a thought in the backs of their minds that they might loose them, can that effect bonding? I know my mom has said she truly started to bond deeply after her three month "grace period" was over. She took care of me, loved me, but it was always there in the back of her mind. This is not OK -not sure I am getting my point across at all, but it makes me so sad, and honestly angry.

sbtrfly74 06-25-2013 11:21 AM

Im not sure if this is the same case I heard about a while ago but the one I saw on TV the father gave up his rights and the Indian "tribe" (sorry if thats not politically correct) wanted to fight for the child not the father.

The reason it was on TV is it is now a problem (there were a few other cases) that even with a child with 1/18th American Indian the tribes are now challenging adoptions making it impossible for those children to be adopted outside of the tribe.

I would agree if the story in fact was 100% true and its not the story I saw before, but I dont agree that tribes are now going after families that have already been through the adoption process legally and have no idea that their adopted child has that heritage and are being ripped apart.

carissa1970 06-25-2013 11:21 AM

Honestly this is not to start a fight, but rather a dialogue. It is okay for a father to abandon the mother, have no interest in the child, and then later claim he wants to preserve her heritage? How is that okay?

http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/t...9ufbl3koi6.png

Coonhound 06-25-2013 11:30 AM

The C's knew their adoption had red flags but they pushed them under the rug because they wanted a baby so badly.

Belle0101 06-25-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2girls1974 (Post 48775093)
If I am reading this article right they court did not go in favour of the adoptive parents, but in favour of the birth father (who refused to pay child support -which led to the birth mother putting her up for adoption).

I am adopted, and I know my mom has told me a couple times that this was always her biggest worry in adopting, back then (the early 70's) there was a "grace period" where the birth mother could change her mind, and my mom was always very concerned that she would -she got full "rights" when my brother and I were both 3 months old. This child is a lot more than 3 months old -I just can not imagine the pain being inflicted on the family, the child so many people. My heart is breaking.

I hope this does not set a very bad precedent of young children being removed from loving homes! Adopted children should be aloud to feel as safe in their homes as any other kids -and honestly if their parents have a thought in the backs of their minds that they might loose them, can that effect bonding? I know my mom has said she truly started to bond deeply after her three month "grace period" was over. She took care of me, loved me, but it was always there in the back of her mind. This is not OK -not sure I am getting my point across at all, but it makes me so sad, and honestly angry.

Bolding is mine - here in the states you just can't refuse to pay child support so I can't wholly get behind that as the sole reason why the biological mom put the little girl up for adoption.

Parents can pursue child support through the state, at no cost to themselves. Pay checks are garnished, tax refunds are intercepted, jail time can be ordered, etc.

Belle0101 06-25-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carissa1970 (Post 48775109)
Honestly this is not to start a fight, but rather a dialogue. It is okay for a father to abandon the mother, have no interest in the child, and then later claim he wants to preserve her heritage? How is that okay?

http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/t...9ufbl3koi6.png

From the OPs article I don't know that it's as simple as that.

"Brown didn’t know about the pending adoption until four months later.

The delay in notification was blamed on a clerical error: Brown’s named was misspelled when Veronica’s mother first filed the papers. But attorneys for Brown alleged that the mistake was purposeful.

After he was served the documents, Brown promptly challenged the proceeding, then was deployed for a tour of duty in the Middle East."

roomthreeseventeen 06-25-2013 11:35 AM

I am very happy for her adoptive parents, and for her. Also a good victory for adoptive parents everywhere.

zippingalong 06-25-2013 11:38 AM

I am beyond happy for the family and believe that the tragedy was taking her away in the first place. If you'd like to read facts, check out the SCOTUS blog and read the ruling.

carissa1970 06-25-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belle0101 (Post 48775220)

From the OPs article I don't know that it's as simple as that.

"Brown didn’t know about the pending adoption until four months later.

The delay in notification was blamed on a clerical error: Brown’s named was misspelled when Veronica’s mother first filed the papers. But attorneys for Brown alleged that the mistake was purposeful.

After he was served the documents, Brown promptly challenged the proceeding, then was deployed for a tour of duty in the Middle East."

Yes, but if he was interested in his child, how would he have not known the baby was put up for adoption? It is implied that he was nowhere near the baby for months. I guess it was okay to ignore her as long as she was with the mother, but not anyone else? Just seems odd to me.

http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/t...9ufbl3koi6.png


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.