The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Please Don't Advertise In My FE (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3130392)

lilpooh108 06-22-2013 02:48 PM

Please Don't Advertise In My FE
 
Ok. This is a semi-rant, but after seeing all the beautiful home-made gifts in the FE thread (which are beautiful, thoughtful and amazing).... and receiving some truly thoughtful gifts during my FE exchange --

I would like to reiterate that laminated bookmarks printed from computers (which are themselves FINE) placed in an envelope with your personal travel agent business info/business card IS NOT AN FE GIFT. It is an unappreciated, unsolicited advertisement. It went in my trash.

I had read about this on the boards and was quite turned off when I actually got one in my FE. My DDs and I spent months doing our FE gifts. Please participate in the spirit of the FE, and not for commercial gain pixiedust:

McDonald5 06-22-2013 02:56 PM

Was the person someone that had signed up for the FE and that was their only gift? (Totally WRONG if it was!!) Or was it just someone walking by sticking them in there as an advertisement?

lilpooh108 06-22-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald5 (Post 48751297)
Was the person someone that had signed up for the FE and that was their only gift? (Totally WRONG if it was!!) Or was it just someone walking by sticking them in there as an advertisement?

Honestly, I have no idea. They left their DIS name and their business info. It was in an envelope. I tossed it, just as I would when I get housecleaning cards or law-mowing cards on my doorstep when I get home.

The turn off is---I'm on a cruise...I have a FE for gifts and surprises for my DDs, not for solicitations. Leave my FE alone :rotfl:

McDonald5 06-22-2013 03:35 PM

Yah, that's a douche-y thing to do either way. I'm just really hoping it wasn't someones only FE gift that they were giving out....

tinkertaylor05 06-22-2013 03:44 PM

We were in the other group of the same FE and we got that too :rolleyes1

A few of us discussed it as I automatically assumed it was just random marketing to all FE's they saw but someone pointed out the card in the envelope had our room number printed on it and since the FE list was all done via email must've been someone that had signed up :confused3

PrincessShmoo 06-22-2013 03:52 PM

While I think it's a bit tacky to use FE as an advertising outlet, I don't let it stress me so much. If the advertisement is such that it bothers me, I toss it. If it's on something that I will use, I use it.

For some people, that may be as far as their creativity goes. If mine goes further, so be it. It's a vacation, relax.

lilpooh108 06-22-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkertaylor05 (Post 48751606)
We were in the other group of the same FE and we got that too :rolleyes1

A few of us discussed it as I automatically assumed it was just random marketing to all FE's they saw but someone pointed out the card in the envelope had our room number printed on it and since the FE list was all done via email must've been someone that had signed up :confused3

Yes, that's what it was. This triggered my memory. It did have my stateroom number on the envelope and I actually had thought it was something important. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who found it tacky.

Luv2Diz 06-22-2013 03:58 PM

I also don't think the FE is appropriate for religious stuff. Someone in one of our FE groups included a religious pamphlet with their gift. No biggy - I just tossed it, but still....

lilpooh108 06-22-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Diz (Post 48751701)
Someone in one of our FE groups included a religious pamphlet

Wow. Just, wow.

momof2n2 06-22-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 48751651)
While I think it's a bit tacky to use FE as an advertising outlet, I don't let it stress me so much. If the advertisement is such that it bothers me, I toss it. If it's on something that I will use, I use it.

For some people, that may be as far as their creativity goes. If mine goes further, so be it. It's a vacation, relax.

Though we haven't participated in FE yet, this seems to me what my response would be. I also wouldn't stress the religious stuff. I'll just toss it if I disagree. Hopefully both contributors did not limit their gift to such items.

lilpooh108 06-22-2013 04:19 PM

Not stressed about it. Wasn't then, am not now. In fact, forgot about it until today.

In going through the homemade FE gift thread, however, it touched me how many people put so much thought, care and love into their FE gifts. In contrast, the commercial ads are just so tacky that I wanted to point out that they're not appreciated.

bumbershoot 06-22-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 48751651)
For some people, that may be as far as their creativity goes.

But if that's your creativity limit, why join the FE group? I'm not creative in any way that impresses other people, so I'm not going to join the groups.

lady9 06-22-2013 07:14 PM

I don't think it is a big deal if they want to advertise their business as long as their gift is in the spirit of FE exchange. We got a business card in our FE but it was attached to a nice Vinylmation! I thought that was very nice and much appreciated. We received two bookmarks (no business advertisement attached) that had Mickey heads on it and a cute Disney ribbon attached. I loved them. I use one to mark my page in the book I am currently reading to my class and one to mark the page in the book I am reading for pleasure. It's a nice memory every time I look at them. For those that think they are non crafty, try a bookmark, it will be used!!

ruadisneyfan2 06-22-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumbershoot (Post 48752753)
But if that's your creativity limit, why join the FE group? I'm not creative in any way that impresses other people, so I'm not going to join the groups.

I agree. I've never done FEs; I just don't want more stuff to do along with vacation planning and I'm not crafty at all. I can't believe people would have the nerve to advertise. They're for gifts, not junk mail.
My late uncle had remarried a long time ago and one of her grown children would put business cards in her Christmas cards to send out. :( Some people just can't separate work from pleasure.

qits 06-22-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumbershoot (Post 48752753)
But if that's your creativity limit, why join the FE group? I'm not creative in any way that impresses other people, so I'm not going to join the groups.

Ditto


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.