The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   thinking of buying vero beach resale (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3130033)

bcvlover 06-21-2013 04:31 PM

thinking of buying vero beach resale

I am thinking of buying in vero beach resale.. I know it has higher dues, but I really love the beach and wanted a beach house with out the hassle of upkeep.

I had considered Hilton Head, but that isn't on the beach.

I am only planning to use these points for the beach. I have BCV already for WDW, so does anyone have any good suggestions on whether I should take the vero beach plunge.

And are vero resales getting past ROFR?

disneynutz 06-21-2013 04:38 PM

Have you stayed there, there isn't much of a beach.

What's availability like at 7 months?

:earsboy: Bill

bcvlover 06-21-2013 05:07 PM

I have stayed there

I have stayed there.... Had a nice, but not great time.

It seems fun for 4 days to tack on the end of a trip.

I like to go spring break, and used to be able to get something at the 7 month period, but lately have been shut out.

Also, I dream of the beach villa.. (would have to bank / borrow to do that).. but would be a blast.

disneynutz 06-21-2013 05:13 PM

What about saving up some money and/or points and go to Aulani every few years for a real beach experience?

:earsboy: Bill

bcvlover 06-21-2013 10:25 PM

Thanks

That is good point. I'm going to look at Hawaii DVD too.

Thanks

goneviral 06-21-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcvlover (Post 48744225)
I am thinking of buying in vero beach resale.. I know it has higher dues, but I really love the beach and wanted a beach house with out the hassle of upkeep.

I had considered Hilton Head, but that isn't on the beach.

I am only planning to use these points for the beach. I have BCV already for WDW, so does anyone have any good suggestions on whether I should take the vero beach plunge.

And are vero resales getting past ROFR?

I will mention in advance that Hilton Head is my One Particular Harbor in the Jimmy Buffett vernacular. Having acknowledged that, Vero Beach can be brutal with regards to no see ums. A friend of mine had the worst vacation of his life because they were acting up when he was staying at the Disney hotel at Vero Beach. He looked like he had just gone ten rounds with a rabid squirrel. So I vote Hilton Head. That is one of the coolest cities in America imo.

lovin'fl 06-21-2013 11:43 PM

If you can do the Aulani frequently enough, don't mind the travel there and can swing a contract there...that's what you should consider. That place looks fantastic. But, Vero Beach is cheap to buy in to (but pricey with annual dues and there really isn't too much around the place). We own HHI and wish we had more points there (we really want to book a 3BR GV next August so our kids can bring friends with them). While it's not directly on the ocean, it is on a channel and there is a lot of neat things to do, a lot of shopping, a lot of dining and the beach over at the beach house is lovely. Points at HH are pretty cheap too and the annual dues aren't as bad as VB.

ssawka 06-22-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 48744480)
What about saving up some money and/or points and go to Aulani every few years for a real beach experience?

The problem with comparing Aulani to Vero is the $1000 Airfare to HI!

We just got back from Vero. We had a great time and the bugs were not bad. If the question is between VB and HHI, that's a tough choice as they each have their own strengths. For us, these strengths are:

HHI:
  • The beach is a lot nicer than VB (few shells, calm waves).
  • Feels much less like a "big" resort.
  • Is drivable from our house (9 hour drive).
  • Can walk around the marina.
  • Many other places to explore (less remote than VB).

VB:
  • On the beach
  • Has more of a "Disney" feel.
  • Has restaurants onsite.
  • Has a "real" bar.
  • Has a Spa
  • Can be combined with a WDW stay.

bobbiwoz 06-22-2013 03:12 PM

The Beach Cottages at VB are my family's favorite DVC Villa. Even though family members now live near Tampa, the Atlantic Beaches are my family's favorite. If you like the ocean and want the BC, like we do, then, yes, I would buy VB points. We have 200 of them for VB stays.

Bobbi:goodvibes

missycj96 06-22-2013 08:53 PM

I thought the actual beach at HHI is much better than VB. At VB there was a very steep slope down and, at least when I was there, was not good for small kids. I was really surprised by that beach. The beach at HHI on the other hand is great for kids.

If you want to get HHI during prime summer months, the 11 month window is valuable. Also, dues at HHI are lower. When we stayed at HHI last july (getting the week in the 1 BR was the hard to get - I called at exactly 7 months, 9 am a few days in a row until I could get the reservation), I came home wanting to buy HHI points. The way the resort is set up with the beach house made it no problem that the resort was not on the beach.

If I was buying DVC for a beach option, I'd go with HHI over VB and go for VB at 7 months if I wanted to stay there.

bcvlover 06-22-2013 11:24 PM

Hawaii airfare is too high

So the airfare makes hi out of our league.

But we love boggie boards and kids are 15-18. i looked and their are tennis camps in vero.

But golf seems better at hhi

So at least I have it narrowed down to hhi or VCR.

Any more tips is appreciated. We're getting close to making a decision

Dean 06-23-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcvlover (Post 48744457)
I have stayed there.... Had a nice, but not great time.

It seems fun for 4 days to tack on the end of a trip.

I like to go spring break, and used to be able to get something at the 7 month period, but lately have been shut out.

Also, I dream of the beach villa.. (would have to bank / borrow to do that).. but would be a blast.

What about a non DVC option like Bluegreen or Wyndham for Daytona.

lovin'fl 06-23-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcvlover (Post 48754466)
So the airfare makes hi out of our league.

But we love boggie boards and kids are 15-18. i looked and their are tennis camps in vero.

But golf seems better at hhi

So at least I have it narrowed down to hhi or VCR.

Any more tips is appreciated. We're getting close to making a decision

Here's another consideration that I wasn't aware of until I recently read about it on the boards. Hurricane/storm damage...DVD can determine a unit destroyed and not repair it...if that's happens your points are done (not sure if I am explaining it correctly) but you are deeded in a specific building and if that building is destroyed, DVD does not have to re-build and then you are out those points. VB is ocean front and HH is not...HH resort is close to ocean but VB villas probably get pummeled more by the storms.

Dean 06-24-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovin'fl (Post 48759594)
Here's another consideration that I wasn't aware of until I recently read about it on the boards. Hurricane/storm damage...DVD can determine a unit destroyed and not repair it...if that's happens your points are done (not sure if I am explaining it correctly) but you are deeded in a specific building and if that building is destroyed, DVD does not have to re-build and then you are out those points. VB is ocean front and HH is not...HH resort is close to ocean but VB villas probably get pummeled more by the storms.

That's not very like and even less likely for just a given section of the resort. If it happened it'd likely be the entire resort. They could also declare a special assessment or further raises maint fees if needed to cover such a situation.

tb1972 06-24-2013 05:05 PM

VB cottages are charming and it's remote location can be a plus. I can understand why you'd want points there.