The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Renting a car at the port post cruise (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3128955)

closetmickey 06-19-2013 11:19 AM

Renting a car at the port post cruise

Hello!
For the first time, we will be renting a car at the port post-cruise for the final 4 days of our trip. We would like to drop it back off at MCO before we fly home. Can anyone share your experiences with this?

From where did you rent?
How far away was it? Shuttle experience?
How long did it take?
Can the rest of the party stay aboard to be picked up later?
Were you able to drop off rental at MCO?

Thanks so much! This is all new to me!

DisneyOHFan 06-19-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by closetmickey (Post 48723871)
Hello!
For the first time, we will be renting a car at the port post-cruise for the final 4 days of our trip. We would like to drop it back off at MCO before we fly home. Can anyone share your experiences with this?

From where did you rent?
How far away was it? Shuttle experience?
How long did it take?
Can the rest of the party stay aboard to be picked up later?
Were you able to drop off rental at MCO?

Thanks so much! This is all new to me!

We use Budget. The wait for the shuttle is right outside the ship and it usually takes about 20 minutes. Easy easy.

We usually all go together since it is a little crazy picking people up with all the traffic and people. I guess it can be done, but once we have the car, we are ready to go.

Yes, you can drop off at MCO.

MAYNARDS99 06-19-2013 11:43 AM

Budget is great and has great prices. We only send the driver on the shuttle, who wants to deal with all that luggage!

Be sure you are signed up for Budget's FREE frequent renter program. You get priority service at the rental office!

Of course you can drop off at MCO. In terminal!

OKW Lover 06-19-2013 12:37 PM

This thread my help you pick a rental company at PC.

closetmickey 06-22-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAYNARDS99 (Post 48724095)
Budget is great and has great prices. We only send the driver on the shuttle, who wants to deal with all that luggage!

Be sure you are signed up for Budget's FREE frequent renter program. You get priority service at the rental office!

Good tip! Thanks, posters for the advice.

wiggles02 06-22-2013 02:59 PM

Just be aware they might charge you an additional fee for picking up and dropping off at different locations.

Mommb 06-22-2013 03:45 PM

Budget has not charged us extra for picking up at the Orlando airport and returning the car by Port Canaveral or the reverse. I don't know if that is true of other companies as well.

SnowWhite2 06-22-2013 04:07 PM

Just make sure you reserve a car before you cruise. The rental locations in PC are small and don't have many cars like an airport location. I've seen a few people have to wait until afternoon to get a car, if any are available, if they didn't have a reservation.

canadiandisneycruise 06-23-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAYNARDS99 (Post 48724095)

We did this, but still waited over an hour for a van. And I was glad we all went because I would have wondered what happened to DH if he was gone so long!

DisFanJen 06-23-2013 03:26 AM

Hi,

When we cruise we always arrange to pick up a car at MCO, drop it at the Cape then do it in reverse when we disembark.

It's very convenient and a lot cheaper than either the DCL shuttle or parking the rental car at the port.

We go with AVIS and it's always a breeze. Drop the car off, wait around 15 minutes or so ant then use the AVIS shuttle that drops you right at the terminal. It's just as easy on the way back, just wait for the AVIS shuttle and you're away.

The added bonus is that the AVIS branch is right next to the Disboards Welcome Centre! So on the way back I took a few minutes to pop in and say hi to Teresa. :)