The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Narrowed down the menu... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3128535)

marcyinPA 06-18-2013 01:03 PM

Narrowed down the menu...
 
For my son's graduation party :)

I was going to have it catered by Dickie's BBQ, until I called for the price. $9.50 per person?! We are having close to 100 people. No way can we afford that, no matter how good it is, or how easy it would be. So, I will cook.

Pulled Pork with rolls and BBQ sauce
BBQ meatballs (the kind with the grape jelly/chili sauce)
Hot dogs cooked in the crock pot, with rolls and condiments
Pasta Salad
Cole Slaw
Potato salad
Baked beans
Chips
Philadelphia Pretzel "rivet" tray with dips
cheese tray
veggie tray
fruit tray
pickles and olives
assorted desserts (friends offered to bring)
cupcake tower with assorted decorated cupcakes
soda and water

Does this sound like enough food? Am I missing anything? Party is in July, food will be inside (air conditioned), party will be in and out (there is a pool where we are). I don't want to mess with dips and stuff- too hot. Time frame is 4pm-8pm.

I am trying to figure out how many pork butts to roast. We invited 100- but I haven't received a lot of responses yet. I am thinking 2- possibly 3. Not sure?!

jen0610 06-18-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcyinPA (Post 48715375)
For my son's graduation party :)

I was going to have it catered by Dickie's BBQ, until I called for the price. $9.50 per person?! We are having close to 100 people. No way can we afford that, no matter how good it is, or how easy it would be. So, I will cook.

Pulled Pork with rolls and BBQ sauce
BBQ meatballs (the kind with the grape jelly/chili sauce)
Hot dogs cooked in the crock pot, with rolls and condiments
Pasta Salad
Cole Slaw
Potato salad
Baked beans
Chips
Philadelphia Pretzel "rivet" tray with dips
cheese tray
veggie tray
fruit tray
pickles and olives
assorted desserts (friends offered to bring)
cupcake tower with assorted decorated cupcakes
soda and water

Does this sound like enough food? Am I missing anything? Party is in July, food will be inside (air conditioned), party will be in and out (there is a pool where we are). I don't want to mess with dips and stuff- too hot. Time frame is 4pm-8pm.

I am trying to figure out how many pork butts to roast. We invited 100- but I haven't received a lot of responses yet. I am thinking 2- possibly 3. Not sure?!

Googled the pork butt questions and the answers I saw for 100 people (I would rather have too much then not enough) it says 6 7-8 lb butts.

Janepod 06-18-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen0610 (Post 48715679)
Googled the pork butt questions and the answers I saw for 100 people (I would rather have too much then not enough) it says 6 7-8 lb butts.

Pork butt is $2.99/lb by me. Makes $9.50/person sound pretty reasonable for a catered meal.

marcyinPA 06-18-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janepod (Post 48715775)
Pork butt is $2.99/lb by me. Makes $9.50/person sound pretty reasonable for a catered meal.

I can get it for $.99/lb here :thumbsup2 (if I can't find that price, the highest would be 1.29/lb)

Dickie's had quoted me 17 lbs of pulled pork if I just ordered that through them. Of course, they charge $13.99/lb. :faint:

Maybe I will make 4 of the largest ones I can find. We will be having other food as well- so not everyone will load up on the pork.

jlewisinsyr 06-18-2013 01:53 PM

$1,000 for 100 people for catering is an amazing price. Typically catering includes everything you need, from disposable's to warming trays (as needed).

Make sure when you're looking at costs, you're considering everything, because honestly at $9.50/head you probably are not going to come that much under, especially when you factor in how much time you're going to need to prepare everything.

rndmr2 06-18-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcyinPA

Maybe I will make 4 of the largest ones I can find. We will be having other food as well- so not everyone will load up on the pork.

That should be fine with the hot dogs and meatballs


Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

mombrontrent 06-18-2013 01:55 PM

Your menu sounds perfect. It's got a wide variety of foods. Everyone should be able to find stuff they will like. Heck I am vegan and have vegetarian dd's and we'd be fine with your menu ( and if we weren't that wouldn't be any fault of yours, since you are providing a great spread:thumbsup2)

ironpig70 06-18-2013 02:00 PM

I am confused as how you say you don't want to mess with dips as its to hot yet are having potato salad which is pretty much a "dip"

Also what do you put on the chips, veggies and fruit?


As to whether you have enough food I would say yes. The price of the catering is high but look at what it will cost you to make everything and then look at all the work and lastly do you wanna spend the party serving food?

mombrontrent 06-18-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironpig70 (Post 48715968)
I am confused as how you say you don't want to mess with dips as its to hot yet are having potato salad which is pretty much a "dip"

Also what do you put on the chips, veggies and fruit?


As to whether you have enough food I would say yes. The price of the catering is high but look at what it will cost you to make everything and then look at all the work and lastly do you wanna spend the party serving food?

Nothing! All thee foods can be eaten and taste great just plain:thumbsup2

Janepod 06-18-2013 02:05 PM

I feel like I say this on every food thread, but I would add a plain green salad. Everything on this list is very heavy, especially for summer.

Also salsa, guac, or blue cheese dip for the chips.

And dare I ask ... no beer/wine? Gotta have beer with pulled pork.

lovemygoofy 06-18-2013 02:08 PM

I think that this is going to be such a pain for you. You will need to prep and store ALOT of food for a 100 people. Do you have that much room in your fridge/freezer? How many days ahead of time do you plan to make these things? Are you going to have help? You are going to have a difficult time enjoying the party if you are constantly trying to replenish the food.

Are you having family in from out of town as well? Will you need to entertain them or even just cook for them?

You will spend quite a bit in just serving dishes for all this if you plan to serve the bbq warmed?

I know most will disagree with me but I think you are going to need a lot of pulled pork. That really is the main menu item. Some might eat a hot dog or graze a meatball but the pulled pork is the big item on your menu which means you will need a lot of it to feed your crowd. Will there be a lot of teens there? They are bottomless pits as you are well aware.

I would rework the menu to cut down the choices just to lessen your prep work and headache.

scrapquitler 06-18-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcyinPA (Post 48715375)
For my son's graduation party :)

I was going to have it catered by Dickie's BBQ, until I called for the price. $9.50 per person?! We are having close to 100 people. No way can we afford that, no matter how good it is, or how easy it would be. So, I will cook.

Pulled Pork with rolls and BBQ sauce
BBQ meatballs (the kind with the grape jelly/chili sauce)
Hot dogs cooked in the crock pot, with rolls and condiments
Pasta Salad
Cole Slaw
Potato salad
Baked beans
Chips
Philadelphia Pretzel "rivet" tray with dips
cheese tray
veggie tray
fruit tray
pickles and olives
assorted desserts (friends offered to bring)
cupcake tower with assorted decorated cupcakes
soda and water

Does this sound like enough food? Am I missing anything? Party is in July, food will be inside (air conditioned), party will be in and out (there is a pool where we are). I don't want to mess with dips and stuff- too hot. Time frame is 4pm-8pm.

I am trying to figure out how many pork butts to roast. We invited 100- but I haven't received a lot of responses yet. I am thinking 2- possibly 3. Not sure?!

It sounds great to me! I have no idea about the quanitity, but I'd go with more rather than less, you can always freeze any leftovers.

I do think that the people telling you to reconsider the catering make a very good point. By the time you buy all this food and take all the time to make it, it's probably going to cost you just as much as as it would to pay the caterer, and you'll save yourself a lot of work!
I'd guess that if you are inviting 100 people, you'll have somewhere between 60-75, and some of them will just stop by for a little while without eating.

taitai 06-18-2013 02:24 PM

My suggestion is to price out how much ALL this food is going to cost, figure out how much time it is going to take (all that chopping for the salads and fruit and veggie trays...yikes!), where are you going to store it, how are you going to serve it, on what are you going to serve it and decide if this is the correct menu for you. Your ice bill alone is going to be high. You are going to have to start cooking many days in advance and with needing to clean the house, do yard work, whatever else, it seems like a ton to take on.

I agree with a PP that 2 or 3 pork butts is way, way too few. I cook one for my family of 5 and my kids are only 9 and 10. I am guessing you are going to need multiples of that. Do you have space on your grill to cook all of them? Time to pull all that pork and where are you going to serve it and keep it warm?

Might be that you need a different menu (burgers and dogs?) or pony up for the catering if you are set on this menu. At least for the items that are time intensive. Good luck figuring all this out.

The Mystery Machine 06-18-2013 02:25 PM

My suggestion to you is to put things out in "small quantities" and then refill as needed.

It will keep the fresh stuff fresh and untouched and cold.

In addition get a lot of coolers to use from people so you can store food. And crock pots to keep hot things hot.

As far as serving things like pasta salad, cole slaw, and potato salad get a large bowls that can be "put on ice" on the bottom to keep the salads cold.

You want hot meat, hot baked beans and nicely chilled sides. It is much more appetizing.

Good Luck and congrats!:)

pigletgirl 06-18-2013 02:33 PM

The menu sounds fantastic, but that is a lot of prep work. Will you have help?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.