The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   pillow case signing for boys ??? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3127537)

love5pets 06-16-2013 10:12 AM

pillow case signing for boys ???

I love the Mickey Mouse pillow cases on etsy but afraid to order one for my Grandson. Do boys around 8-9 think that it is UN-cool to sleep on a Mickey Mouse pillow case with autographs (even if it's Mickey with a pirate hat on)?

My Grandson is very into watching sports and loves to go on the rides at Disneyland, just not so sure about the whole Mickey Mouse thing.
It's a no brainer for my young grandaughters...they'll be so excited! We're taking our Grandkids on Magic cruise.

What's your opinion/experience with elementary age boys? Thanks!

ktaggie 06-16-2013 10:16 AM

My boys each have one. They are 10, 7, and 2. We also made a family one and live that bit is for a throw pillow

neg58 06-16-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love5pets (Post 48696189)
I love the Mickey Mouse pillow cases on etsy but afraid to order one for my Grandson. Do boys around 8-9 think that it is UN-cool to sleep on a Mickey Mouse pillow case with autographs (even if it's Mickey with a pirate hat on)?

My Grandson is very into watching sports and loves to go on the rides at Disneyland, just not so sure about the whole Mickey Mouse thing.
It's a no brainer for my young grandaughters...they'll be so excited! We're taking our Grandkids on Magic cruise.

What's your opinion/experience with elementary age boys? Thanks!

He'll love it. If he only wants certain characters to sign, he can request only those (no Princesses) but really a pillowcase is pretty unisex.

Nancy

momma2 06-16-2013 10:50 AM

For 6 and 8yr old boys I had a skull and crossbones embroidered by their name (where the younger kids got characters). A nice tie-in to Pirate Night and not so juvenile for the 'big' boys :)

All our cases were signed by a variety of characters.

love5pets 06-16-2013 10:59 AM

I like the idea of the skull and crossbones embroidered for my Grandson. Where did you have it done? I do not do any type crafts and was planning to order off of ETSY or maybe there are other sites ??

Thanks for the replies!

baleeve 06-16-2013 02:31 PM

Both my boys 8 and 10 year old boys want an autographed pillow case but I'd go with superheroes if I were you. I believe what you last see or think about at night contributes to the kind of sleep you have...so a skull and cross bones wouldn't be my suggestion. Maybe Captain America shield? Or just a black mickey hat perhaps with a non threatening pirate hat? Just my 2 cents.

labdogs42 06-16-2013 02:44 PM

I'm getting one with a Disney cruise ship applique on it for my 8 year old DS. I'm pretty sure he'll love it!

living20057 06-16-2013 03:30 PM

It's a great keepsake. We took ours to members services soon as we arrived and picked it up with tons of signatures. Some whom we didn't get to see on the ship.

twopeasonepod 06-16-2013 03:34 PM

We got pillowcases as a wonderful FE gift. They are king sized pillowcases and are completely covered in signatures. No embroidery or appliqués. My 7-year-old twins love them. They don't even care that princesses are on it (but you can absolutely request to have them left off).

aaklang 06-16-2013 04:44 PM

It doesn't have to have Mickey Mouse on it. Get an image of the cruise ship plus the sail date and name of the ship. It might seem less babyish to him that way.

Or, do something besides a pillowcase. Get a photo mat that he can use for a photo from the trip. Does he like baseball? Have them sign a baseball for him. Or maybe you can think of something related to another hobby.

My son was five at the time of our cruise (daughter was almost two) and I got them aprons.

There are tons of great things to sign that aren't pillowcases.

love5pets 06-17-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaklang (Post 48698682)
It doesn't have to have Mickey Mouse on it. Get an image of the cruise ship plus the sail date and name of the ship. It might seem less babyish to him that way.

Or, do something besides a pillowcase. Get a photo mat that he can use for a photo from the trip. Does he like baseball? Have them sign a baseball for him. Or maybe you can think of something related to another hobby.

My son was five at the time of our cruise (daughter was almost two) and I got them aprons.

There are tons of great things to sign that aren't pillowcases.

Thanks....the baseball is a great idea. I didn't know they would sign that! He loves baseball and won't out grow that.

momma2 06-17-2013 02:01 PM

My mom made all the pillowcases, and embroidery as well. The skull and crossbones were done in variegated red/yellow/black.

There are lots of embroidery patterns of all types. I would bet many Etsy artists would be willing to work with you!