The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Wanyama safari tour (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3127096)

kdn hawaii 06-15-2013 03:05 AM

Wanyama safari tour
 
Is the wanyama safari tour worth the price? Any feedback or pictures are appreciated!

kdn hawaii 06-15-2013 07:07 PM

Bump

figment_jii 06-15-2013 08:02 PM

The Wanyama Safari was a lot of fun and well worth the price. You get see the animals of AKL close-up and then have an amazing dinner at Jiko. You can read about my experience on the safari, if interested:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=47906813

kdn hawaii 06-15-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by figment_jii (Post 48692669)
The Wanyama Safari was a lot of fun and well worth the price. You get see the animals of AKL close-up and then have an amazing dinner at Jiko. You can read about my experience on the safari, if interested:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=47906813

Thank you! Did you see any giraffes close up? I really want to see giraffes more than anything else. We have a 13 month old. Is this appropriate for him? Safari and dinner? Thanks!!

Shaden 06-15-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdn hawaii (Post 48692765)
Thank you! Did you see any giraffes close up? I really want to see giraffes more than anything else. We have a 13 month old. Is this appropriate for him? Safari and dinner? Thanks!!

To be fair, if your biggest concern is seeing the giraffes, you don't need to do the paid safari, I will try to post some pics in a bit, but every time we have taken the normal safari we have been VERY close to the giraffes ....

I think the Safari sounds awesome actually, and I think I might just splurge for it next time, especially since we loved our dinner at Jiko (but didn't think it was worth 2 meals per person off the dining plan) .... so it might be worth it all in all.

kdn hawaii 06-15-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaden (Post 48692934)

To be fair, if your biggest concern is seeing the giraffes, you don't need to do the paid safari, I will try to post some pics in a bit, but every time we have taken the normal safari we have been VERY close to the giraffes ....

I think the Safari sounds awesome actually, and I think I might just splurge for it next time, especially since we loved our dinner at Jiko (but didn't think it was worth 2 meals per person off the dining plan) .... so it might be worth it all in all.

What's the normal safari?
Is Jiko a fine dining restaurant?

figment_jii 06-15-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdn hawaii (Post 48692765)

Thank you! Did you see any giraffes close up? I really want to see giraffes more than anything else. We have a 13 month old. Is this appropriate for him? Safari and dinner? Thanks!!

When we went it was during a cold spell so the giraffes had to remain in their "barn". The tour took us inside the barn and we got to see the giraffes in there. We were so close that we could have probably touched them, but that's not allowed. I would assume that when they're outside, you may or may not get really close. The truck drives around the safaris and the animals are free to roam.

Regarding the 13 month old, the safari isn't really geared for infants. Once the safari part starts, there is no chance to go to the bathroom or take the child somewhere else if they get fussy. You must remain in the truck and there are no seat belts, so you'll have to hold him. The safari is about 90 minutes long. After that, you head into AKL and down to Jiko. Dinner is a three course family style meal with your fellow safari mates. It takes another 90 to 120 minutes.

Shaden 06-15-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdn hawaii (Post 48693265)
What's the normal safari?
Is Jiko a fine dining restaurant?

It was the normal safari ride in AK ... and Jiko is fine dining.

The normal safari gives you a TON of view of the giraffes up close.

figment_jii 06-15-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdn hawaii (Post 48693265)

What's the normal safari?
Is Jiko a fine dining restaurant?

My guess is that the "normal" safari refers to the Kilimanjaro Safari ride at AK. There are normally giraffes on the savannah.

Jiko is a Signature (fine dining) restaurant.

Shaden 06-15-2013 09:55 PM

This is what I mean when I say if you want to see Giraffes you don't need to do the paid sarafi

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...ps43f3b9b0.jpg

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2fb7fdfd.jpg

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...psecc29df4.jpg

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...psb6fdf5e1.jpg

Dannek 06-15-2013 10:13 PM

Unfortunately you won't be bringing a 13 month old on the Wanyama Safari Tour as the minimum age allowed on the tour is eight years old...

It is wonderful all around, from the food to the guides to the animals that come right up to the vehicle.

kdn hawaii 06-17-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by figment_jii (Post 48693300)

When we went it was during a cold spell so the giraffes had to remain in their "barn". The tour took us inside the barn and we got to see the giraffes in there. We were so close that we could have probably touched them, but that's not allowed. I would assume that when they're outside, you may or may not get really close. The truck drives around the safaris and the animals are free to roam.

Regarding the 13 month old, the safari isn't really geared for infants. Once the safari part starts, there is no chance to go to the bathroom or take the child somewhere else if they get fussy. You must remain in the truck and there are no seat belts, so you'll have to hold him. The safari is about 90 minutes long. After that, you head into AKL and down to Jiko. Dinner is a three course family style meal with your fellow safari mates. It takes another 90 to 120 minutes.

Aw shucks! Thank you!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.