The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Has anyone booked/linked two seperate GTY cabins? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3127062)

jenhelgren 06-14-2013 11:24 PM

Has anyone booked/linked two seperate GTY cabins?
 
I want to book two category 7A cabins on the Wonder this Fall. They only sleep 3 people and we have a family of 4, so if we want category 7A we have to get two cabins. Disney is only offering GTY for this cabin type. My travel agent told me that if I pay and link the cabins there is a high chance that they will be right together and that Disney is USUALLY good with things like that, but it would be a nightmare if they were on two separate floors or opposite hallways!! I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with booking two separate GTY cabins and requesting that they be linked. Has anyone been separated?

mom2twokids 06-15-2013 09:29 AM

Our first cruise we booked a GTY for 3 linked cabins and all three cabins were scattered all over the ship.
We just got off our second cruise with GTY bookings and our two rooms were right next to each other.
I don't know their logic but it seems like it could go either way.

shburks 06-15-2013 10:11 AM

If you really need the cabins to be adjoining, I'd look at booking a different category.

PrincessShmoo 06-15-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenhelgren (Post 48687195)
I want to book two category 7A cabins on the Wonder this Fall. They only sleep 3 people and we have a family of 4, so if we want category 7A we have to get two cabins. Disney is only offering GTY for this cabin type. My travel agent told me that if I pay and link the cabins there is a high chance that they will be right together and that Disney is USUALLY good with things like that, but it would be a nightmare if they were on two separate floors or opposite hallways!! I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with booking two separate GTY cabins and requesting that they be linked. Has anyone been separated?

For the most part, DCL will try to have linked GTYs close (not necessarily next to each other). We've done 2 cruises with linked GTYs (one with 2 rooms, and one with 3 rooms). Both times the rooms were next to each other.

One note, on our 2 room GTY, while next door to each other, the 2 rooms had different muster stations. And not muster stations next to each other, we were in the WDT for our room, and the other room was on deck outside.

lbgraves 06-15-2013 12:37 PM

Your TA is incorrect. Booking a GTY means that you are agreeing to DCL placing you in any room that category or higher anywhere onboard. If you book more than one room, they could be anywhere -- including different decks. When booking a GTY you give up the right to make requests -- so no requests for adjoining rooms or anything like that, and if you don't like your assigned rooms there isn't anything you can do about it. ITA with the previous poster. If this will greatly impact your cruise, book a category with specific room numbers available.

shburks 06-15-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgraves (Post 48690249)
Your TA is incorrect. Booking a GTY means that you are agreeing to DCL placing you in any room that category or higher anywhere onboard. If you book more than one room, they could be anywhere -- including different decks. When booking a GTY you give up the right to make requests -- so no requests for adjoining rooms or anything like that, and if you don't like your assigned rooms there isn't anything you can do about it. ITA with the previous poster. If this will greatly impact your cruise, book a category with specific room numbers available.

Or book a different category that all four can fit.

Aggiegrl 06-15-2013 06:25 PM

Being on the Wonder this fall myself, I know firsthand the good rate they have on the GTY 7As. Assuming 2a/2k, two 7As saves about $400 off of a single balcony room that sleeps 4.

I'm not sure the ages of the 4 people you are booking, but I would not take the chance if you have children and are traveling with a SO. Your chances are VERY slim to get connecting cabins, so you'd be sleeping apart anyways.

If you have adults/older children and splitting up at night isn't an issue, I'd probably take the risk and see what happens. On my cruise, there is still quite a bit of availability in cabins are there are still connecting cabins of all types. Galveston isn't selling like Port Canaveral and the prices are obviously very different. It is an entirely different beast.

tinkattu6 06-15-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenhelgren (Post 48687195)
I want to book two category 7A cabins on the Wonder this Fall. They only sleep 3 people and we have a family of 4, so if we want category 7A we have to get two cabins. Disney is only offering GTY for this cabin type. My travel agent told me that if I pay and link the cabins there is a high chance that they will be right together and that Disney is USUALLY good with things like that, but it would be a nightmare if they were on two separate floors or opposite hallways!! I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with booking two separate GTY cabins and requesting that they be linked. Has anyone been separated?

We had GTY reservations for 11C in July for 2 rooms and just got notified are rooms are side by side but, not adjoining. We only requested the reservations to be linked for dinners as it didn't matter if we were near but, it's nice we are close. Good Luck!

lbgraves 06-15-2013 08:11 PM

Just to clarify, when talking to someone regarding requests for rooms, rooms next to each other are considered adjoining, rooms with a door between them are connecting. :)

TwinPrincessMermaids 06-16-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgraves
Just to clarify, when talking to someone regarding requests for rooms, rooms next to each other are considered adjoining, rooms with a door between them are connecting. :)

We got 3 adjoining VGTs with connecting verandas, and two of the three rooms were connecting. We were so happy! Should I credit our CVP who knew it was a surprise anniversary to our parents for making sure we were booked together?

Dug720 06-16-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgraves (Post 48692746)
Just to clarify, when talking to someone regarding requests for rooms, rooms next to each other are considered adjoining, rooms with a door between them are connecting. :)

:thumbsup2

Yep! As someone who has worked in hotel reservations (not with Disney), that is correct. If you mean a door that connects the two cabins, the word to use is "connecting". "Adjoining" rooms may be next to each other but without a connecting door, directly across the hall from each other, or even diagonally across the hall from each other.

lbgraves 06-16-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids (Post 48698568)
We got 3 adjoining VGTs with connecting verandas, and two of the three rooms were connecting. We were so happy! Should I credit our CVP who knew it was a surprise anniversary to our parents for making sure we were booked together?

That was simply luck. If the rooms hadn't been available, no one would have been able to give you three rooms in a row. Usually people select specific staterooms scattered throughout the ship. I know that I never consider if I am picking a room between two that aren't booked when I make my selection. DCL doesn't restrict which rooms you can book either, until the magic percentage is reached when they only allow GTYs for the rest of the category. The *GT discounted rates that you booked are even more restricted because those are the attempt to sell the last remaining rooms in each category.

TwinPrincessMermaids 06-16-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgraves

That was simply luck. If the rooms hadn't been available, no one would have been able to give you three rooms in a row. Usually people select specific staterooms scattered throughout the ship. I know that I never consider if I am picking a room between two that aren't booked when I make my selection. DCL doesn't restrict which rooms you can book either, until the magic percentage is reached when they only allow GTYs for the rest of the category. The *GT discounted rates that you booked are even more restricted because those are the attempt to sell the last remaining rooms in each category.

VGT was the only veranda category left to sell and dad booked his about 2 weeks before we did. So all we could get was that with 3 weeks to the cruise. Super fun pixie dust!

tivo4me1 06-17-2013 01:13 PM

This is not exactly what the OP asked, but my family and my sister's family booked and linked two IGT rooms for last December's EBPC cruise on the Wonder. Approx. 12 days out, we were assigned adjoining 11B cabins (which I considered pixie dust iteration #1 for that cruise). Eight days later, without any notice other than a change in our reservation, my family's cabin was changed to a 9C four decks below my sister (whose cabin never changed) (and thus, pixie dust iteration #2).

So, short version, DCL obviously, sometimes, makes an efforts to keep linked cabins in *GT (or GTY) status together, but even that can change at the drop of a hat (a hat with round ears stapled to it, I'd imagine....).

Rich from California

jahber 06-17-2013 01:44 PM

We booked two GTYs for our family of 4 on the Dream last year. They were 4Ds and it was the only way we could get that category on the ship, as 4-person 4Ds weren't available. We could all fit in one 4D at night, so it didn't really matter where the other room was. I just hoped we would be on the same floor so we could use the bathroom and the beds for naptime :). In the end we were upgraded to 2 connecting 4Bs. There was a mistake with our booking, so that may explain the awesome pixie dust :). But bottom line, I only booked 2 GTYs because the category rooms were all on the same floor (so likelier to be close-ish), we could all sleep in one room anyway, and it was the only way we could afford a verandah. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.